Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

The photography thread totally enthralled me, and I live in Alaska, which means I'm not so easily enthralled.

I also know what it's like to live in an area that gets it's fair share of tourists...so I'm interested in visiting your state during the off season.

If anyone can suggest a good place to stay for about a week it would be much appreciated--I'm a very low maintainance type of traveler, not into running around and seeing all the sights. What I'm looking for is a good place to get some down time--a comfortable place to sleep and walks in the woods is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking early spring or late fall. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:10 AM

12 posts, read 32,437 times
Hello Metlakatla,
Normally I am a lurker. I have a daughter in anchorage so I have kept an eye on the AK forum. A lot of interesting people on there.
Check out the Eagle Mountain House Hotel in Jackson NH. Although we still
have tourists aka leaf peepers, fall is a wonderful time to visit. Totally different than your fall foliage, which I did enjoy last year. The eagle mt. house is comfortable. Its located outside of town in mountains.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The photography thread totally enthralled me, and I live in Alaska, which means I'm not so easily enthralled.

I also know what it's like to live in an area that gets it's fair share of tourists...so I'm interested in visiting your state during the off season.

If anyone can suggest a good place to stay for about a week it would be much appreciated--I'm a very low maintainance type of traveler, not into running around and seeing all the sights. What I'm looking for is a good place to get some down time--a comfortable place to sleep and walks in the woods is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking early spring or late fall. Thanks in advance
Hello Metlakatla - Do you have any idea what area of NH you'd like to visit? To me (and I'm relatively new to the state), the areas are very different. We live in Northern NH, which is not as "busy" as the central or southern part of the state....and oddly enough, hasn't had nearly as much snow as the central and southern parts, so far this winter!

If you like mountains, we're not far from Mt. Washington, which has a cograil that will take you to the top, there are hiking trails around, Franconia Notch is not far (some of the pictures in the picture thread were from there, if I remember correctly).

Let us know what area you'd like to use as your "base" and I'm sure people will be able to recommend places for you to stay. Jackson, the area nhtdiguy mentioned is about 45 miles from here - I've never been there, but have heard good things about it.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 AM

758 posts, read 2,888,561 times
If you want to get away from it all, pittsburg is a good bet this time of year. People will be up there cross country skiing and snowmobiling, but it won't be like the ski towns (think North Conway). There's lots of cabins and lodges to rent. There isn't much there in the way of tourist holes in the winter and you're out of the Presidential Range. There's mountain around but not really the "big" ones.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm thinking early spring or late fall. Thanks in advance
There are many good places to visit and stay and I'm sure those here will help out with that. However, being a native of AK., I'm sure you'll understand when I say take your trip in the late fall. Early spring, depending on your location, can bring out our pesky black fly season unless you visit before the hatch. Late fall can give you great weather, beautiful colors and no bugs! Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,539,775 times
I also think late Fall is a nice time to be in NH. Although I've been there early Spring & it wasn't so bad either.

I also think Northern NH is a nice place to visit even with the leaf peepers. Anytime I've been there haven't been tons of people. And you can always find many places to hike around the woods.

Have you done any searches for places to stay? I'd want to go to a B&B...do you mind if I live vicariously through your plans?

Look how nice this place looks Inn at Ellis River - Jackson, New Hampshire - BBOnline.com / Introduction

And this one The Notchland Inn - Hart's Location, New Hampshire - BBOnline.com / Introduction

Hope you get to visit NH soon & make sure you tell us all about it!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I agree as a native New Englander that Sep/Oct is the very best time to visit NH. Even if you miss the foliage (which really only is peak for about a week in mid-October) it's the best time to be outside for just about any activity except swimming. The trails are much less congested, but still nice and warm for hikes, etc.

Early spring, you'll either find a snow-covered landscape or mud season. Mid-spring is mud for sure, and late spring (May) is black fly season

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I agree as a native New Englander that Sep/Oct is the very best time to visit NH. Even if you miss the foliage (which really only is peak for about a week in mid-October) it's the best time to be outside for just about any activity except swimming. The trails are much less congested, but still nice and warm for hikes, etc.

Early spring, you'll either find a snow-covered landscape or mud season. Mid-spring is mud for sure, and late spring (May) is black fly season
Haha, now that is when I need to bring my oldest daughter to NH!! She hates nature and forget about bugs. Her idea of camping is staying in a hotel and ordering room service.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,685 times
I've visited NH twice in mid to late September and it was great. The weather was perfect and there were hardly any tourists. That's too early to enjoy the fall colors though, so if that's important to you you'd want to visit in October.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM

17 posts, read 52,870 times
If you want to avoid swarms of tourists, I agree that September after Labor Day is perfect! If you're looking for scenery and relaxation head up North. Jackson is a great suggestion. There are lots of nice accomodations around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire