Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post

6. NH is currently experiencing its lowest population growth in 50 years..

This potentially has a serious effect in New Hampshire if above is true.

I know in my little town the age of residents is increasing. Yes, everyone alive is aging. Not that.
The average age of residents in this town is going towards older retired folks. Number of students in local schools is declining or trending downward. The number of teachers, administrators, staff remains the same. Both the town budget - public works, town hall staff, etc. and the school budget have increased each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM

238 posts, read 315,276 times
Yes, the average age of NH citizens is rising. NH's average age is slightly higher than FL!

Here are a couple good articles on that:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/...-floridas.html

Gray Areas OR The Graying State? OR The Graying of N.H.?:Towns contemplate value of 55-and-older housing » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Thanks above for clarifying the SAT scores in New Hampshire. Much appreciated.
If anything I would think that SAT scores in NH would be pulled down by the fact that so many students take the test. It used to be that only college-track kids took it, and now almost 80% of high school seniors in the state take it. NH stands at #9 for participation.

I too saw that they ranked 25 for average scores, which is not great. That link showing them at #10 must be showing some sort of weighted score which takes into account the high participation rate.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM

49 posts, read 108,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Ever bought a car? Let's say you find a nice used car for the family at $20,000. In NH, that car costs you $20,000. In MA, it would cost you $21,250. That $1000 big screen TV' $1062.50 in MA. I've live in MA and in NH and one pays significantly more in taxes in MA...
So what everyone pays taxes and fees somewhere along the line.

By the same example in Montana where we lived previously - zero sales tax. Cost to register that vehicle is 1.5% of MSRP each year, decreasing by 10% each year for 7 years + the excise fees. Cost of insurance $900/yr. 9% income tax. 47.5 cents/gal gas tax + fed tax. You know they still have 7 cents/gal tax to pay for the Korean War vets!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman2 View Post
So what everyone pays taxes and fees somewhere along the line.

By the same example in Montana where we lived previously - zero sales tax. Cost to register that vehicle is 1.5% of MSRP each year, decreasing by 10% each year for 7 years + the excise fees. Cost of insurance $900/yr. 9% income tax. 47.5 cents/gal gas tax + fed tax. You know they still have 7 cents/gal tax to pay for the Korean War vets!
Yes. Add up all the taxes and NH is the second lowest in the nation:
CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

Only TN is lower overall...

Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
I beg to differ. Tax Freedom Day in NH is April 15, one day LATER than VT.

Map: Tax Freedom Day by State, 2013 | Tax Foundation

According to this, NH is the 18th most highly taxed in the nation.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I beg to differ. Tax Freedom Day in NH is April 15, one day LATER than VT.

Map: Tax Freedom Day by State, 2013 | Tax Foundation

According to this, NH is the 18th most highly taxed in the nation.
Different stat. Tax freedom day is driven mostly by federal income tax. As NH is a relatively high income state, it has a higher federal tax burden. That is the same no matter where one lives. At the state and local level, NH is lower.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I have found that the best way of avoiding taxes is to live frugally. None of my cars has ever cost me over $5,000 to buy and never had very high property taxes and registration taxes. The insurance costs are also quite low. The cost for the occasional repairs is way less then the tax on a $20,000 used SUV and, as there is no sales tax, does not increase my tax burden. I also live in a small condo worth much less than $200,000. Yes, I have to pay around $3,000 per year in fees but that is what maintaining a small separate house would cost.

If you live extravagantly with a $400,000 McMansion and a couple of $50,000 cars and a $100,000 boat you will pay a lot of property tax but if you can afford those luxuries you can afford the taxes.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
Well said Greg. Too many people are status obsessed and believe that the road to happiness is paved with material possessions. I'd rather live in a smaller home and be able to sleep better at night in the knowledge that my mortgage payment is going to get paid every month. The notion that a person's worth as a human being is directly correlated to the worth of their bank account is awfully ugly but unfortunately deeply ingrained in the American psyche.

As for taxes in NH. The OP must not have much experience paying taxes in other states if he thinks NH is just as bad as everyone else when it comes ot taxes.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM

49 posts, read 108,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Yes. Add up all the taxes and NH is the second lowest in the nation:
CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

Only TN is lower overall...
Not really - but go ahead and keep thinking that.
Montana has no sales tax
Alaska has no property tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire