Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygurl View Post
I've been researching different states for the possibility of gaining a teacher licensure while employed. NH has such a program, but it is focused on the northern half of the state. I am from the Cincinnati area, and while we have winter and snow, it is not all that severe. I'm looking for information about the culture and climate of northern NH. What it's REALLY like to live there and how bad the winters REALLY are before I get too far into the process. Can you help?
Thanks.
I have seen it at 43 below zero, without wind chill in Lancaster. I had a engine block heater. That temp was at 5:30 in the morning on the banks temp digital sign. on my way to work. It is the coldest I have ever seen it normaly it is around 0 in the winter as high as 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM

91 posts, read 307,832 times
I live in the Mount Washington Valley and it does get extremely cold. Temps are often in the teens and single digits which really wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the wind chill. That's often what drives even the locals indoors. There are days you get warnings from the weatherman to stay inside if possible and cover all exposed skin if you do go out, since the wind chill is so bad.

But, that's not every day and some days it does warm up to the 30s. I've had a few winter days that I've been absolutely sweating in my winter coat. However, for at least my area, I'd have to say the winters are long, very snowy and cold. Which is perfect if you're into winter sports.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,901 times
I live on the Conn. River in Northern NH. We are roughly an hour from the Canadian Border. It can get COLD. Our first year here, my thermometer read 30 below for one whole week. Your nose hairs freeze. But honestly, the people who have lived here all their lives love it. they don't even seem fazed by it. they just take it in stride. It is only for a few months, and the rest of the year it is gorgeous! It doesnt get that cold every winter, but hey, after the thermometer drops below zero, it all starts to feel the same to me. We have some good teachers here in Northern NH, but we need more. Just bring your wool socks.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,097 times
We have lived in Lancaster for a few years now. Lowest temp was -34F (on a home weather station). But only two times was the temperature below -25F.

Snow - mostly from a couple of storms a year, with several more small snows - has been around three feet total.

Great place to live!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:41 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It was the coldest low temps of the season this morning in most areas of the state, but it felt great with no wind
The only reporting stations that have not recorded a good freeze so far this autumn have been Manchester and Portsmouth.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM

71 posts, read 192,043 times
Default Very helpful

Wow, -35,-30!! The coldest I have ever personally experienced here in my part of the country would be about -5 or -6. It is very rare for us to go below 15 or 10. It sounds like that would count as balmy during some NH winters. I would definitely be making friends with my LL Bean and Lands End catalogues. Here (in cincinnati), I just look at them and imagine what it must be like to actually NEED such warm gear daily, instead of just for skiing.

Can anyone tell me more about the schools in northern NH and about what there is to do: shopping, movies, restaurants, churches. I'm not real big into hunting/outdoorsman lifestyle, although I enjoy state parks, etc. Will I be "left behind" socially?

Ya'll have done a great job describing the extreme cold. Most of you seem willing to put up with it in order to live in northern NH. What makes it such a great place to live? What makes it not such a great place to live? Thanks everyone

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Wow, -35,-30!! The coldest I have ever personally experienced here in my part of the country would be about -5 or -6. It is very rare for us to go below 15 or 10. It sounds like that would count as balmy during some NH winters. I would definitely be making friends with my LL Bean and Lands End catalogues. Here (in cincinnati), I just look at them and imagine what it must be like to actually NEED such warm gear daily, instead of just for skiing.

Can anyone tell me more about the schools in northern NH and about what there is to do: shopping, movies, restaurants, churches. I'm not real big into hunting/outdoorsman lifestyle, although I enjoy state parks, etc. Will I be "left behind" socially?

Ya'll have done a great job describing the extreme cold. Most of you seem willing to put up with it in order to live in northern NH. What makes it such a great place to live? What makes it not such a great place to live? Thanks everyone
In northern NH (meaning north of Mt. Washington and North Conway) there are no movie theaters or much shopping other than Walmart and a few independent shops. Most of us travel to Conway, Littleton or Portsmouth for the big chain stores. Plenty of churches. Plenty of restaurants but no big chains other than fast foods. Mostly independent restaurants but many to choose from. Basically up here is outdoor stuff. ATV riding, snowmobiling, skiing, boating, fishing, hunting. Not much else to do really. The schools in comparison to Florida are much better. I went through my school years here in Berlin and just returned for my daughter to do High School up here. She's a special needs child and i feel it's so much better for her up here. Lots of kid activities to do with the schools as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:

Hi Curlygurl - We're in Littleton - not as far north as Danielle, but I still consider us "north"

In Littleton, we have a Shaw's grocery store, soon will have a food co-op, a Home Depot, Lowe's, Staples, Wal-Mart, Movie Gallery, Applebee's, 99, Tractor Supply, a couple of car dealerships (with a new one going in) - these are all on the outskirts, but close to town, along with other stores. On Main Street, we have the Littleton Diner, the Village Bookstore, Thayer's Inn, Baliwick's (restaurant), Italian Oasis (restaurant), the Healthy Rhino ("health food store"), Porfido's, Topic of the Town (restaurant), a mexican restaurant, Alburrito's, and a bunch of other clothing stores/restaurants. We also have a "duplex" movie theater (2 theaters in 1 building) that shows current movies. The Eastgate is a motel, but it also has a restaurant and live music on many Friday nights....the Oasis also has live music, but I think that's mostly in the summers, I can't remember now (my brain is shot).

Churches - there's a First Congregational Church, Methodist Church, Catholic Church, Episcopalian Church, a couple of Baptist churches.

There's an elementary school, middle school and high school - I don't have any comment on how they are, as our kids are all grown, so we don't have any in the schools.

In Bethlehem, which is very close to us, there's the Colonial Theater, where they show movies and also have live performances periodically.

We have an Opera House which is currently undergoing renovation and hopefully will have some good "stuff" happening there once the renovation is completed.

There's an Elk's Club, a VFW and an American Legion as well. There's also Littleton Regional Hospital and a slew of doctors and dentists in town.

We like the area and the people - they are friendly, but "not in your face" or over-bearing. We have a park, in the summer, they have concerts on Friday nights. There's a playground for the kids.

The only think that really stinks up here is the job situation - not a lot of high-paying jobs, but there are jobs if one looks. I work from home and was able to bring my job with me when we moved here - hubby is currently a woodworker.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,717 times
Hello Everyone!!! I get soooooooooooo jealous when I read your posts concerning the weather and living conditions in New Hampshire. I've been to Portsmouth, NH, and really loved the place, but things seem to be more expensive towards the southern end of the state. We live in Orlando, Fl, and we're just two years shy of leaving; can't wait!!! I've been doing some research regarding your state and its communities and this website is awesome! Can anyone comment regarding the counties of Belknap and Carroll? The communities seem nice, but nice doesn't pay the bills. We have two small children and I plan on continuing to work after I retire here in two years (I'll only be 44). Housing looks good in those two counties and the property taxes seem fair. Obviously, looking for good schools for the kids and decent work. Most of all, can't wait for the first winter blast! Moved from New Jersey in 1973 and I've missed the winters ever since. My wife was born and raised in Orlando, FL, but she's had it with this area as well. Her deal is that I buy her some nice winter clothes...Deal!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
I can't help you too much, as I don't really know what towns are in those counties, but...

One thing you'll discover is that the counties have very little to do with much of anything except maybe the court system. Towns will vary widely withing the counties, and the schools are all town run or a couple very small towns may band together for a regional system. But it's not county wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire