Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,730 times

Advertisements

The wife and I found a house that we like there, and she is actually en route to the east coast to check out the area this week.

I checkout out the tax rate for the town of Greenfield, and it's about $20.29, so I guess you can say it's about average to above average, but certainly not the highest I've seen.

The house and land are what we are looking for, and was just wondering what else you guys can add so that we have a better understanding of the area.

According to Google, it about 45mins to Nashua, and about 1hr to Manchester and Concord; does that sound about right? Is a commute to these cities going to be hectic?

Does Greenfield get any unusually worse/better weather then the surrounding areas/rest of the state?

Anything else you can add would be great. I.E. Development, people, neat little towns nearby, parks, etc.

Thanks a bunch.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
I have driven through Greenfield many times and about 3 years ago my husband and I spent a night at a B& B there. From what I saw, it is a nice small town. It has Greenfield State park-which is nice-we snowshoed around the entrance to it and it is also nearby Crotched Mountain for skiing. There is also preserved land nearby owned by the NH Forest society but I forget the name.

As far as shopping, there is not much. There was one mom and pop type smaller grocery store we went in but I forget the name. I guess for some things you could go to Peterborough or Hillsboro. For the bigger shopping trips, Nashua, Manchester, Concord or Keene.

I guess the commute times sound about right under ideal conditions, however in the winter those times can increase significantly-very significantly.

Sorry I don't have more info. Perhaps someone living in the area will chime in with more information.

Last edited by nicolem; 10-19-2008 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I have driven through Greenfield many times and about 3 years ago my husband and I spent a night at a B& B there. From what I saw, it is a nice small town. It has Greenfield State park-which is nice-we snowshoed around the entrance to it and it is also nearby Crotched Mountain for skiing. There is also preserved land nearby owned by the NH Forest society but I forget the name.

As far as shopping, there is not much. There was one mom and pop type smaller grocery store we went in but I forget the name. I guess for some things you could go to Peterboro or Hillsboro. For the bigger shopping trips, Nashua, Manchester, Concord or Keene.

I guess the commute times sound about right under ideal conditions, however in the winter those times can increase significantly-very significantly.

Sorry I don't have more info. Perhaps someone living in the area will chime in with more information.
Thanks Nicolem.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM

117 posts, read 425,010 times
I only know two people who live there and one thinks it is very conservative (which may or may not be good news for you). The other person is quite liberal and quite happy there.

It is a quiet town with little industry. We drove through it a lot last late Winter/ Early Spring on our way to Bennington. The roads were fine, but a bit bumpy in places (pretty common at that time of year though). One day I couldn't drive into Greenfield because the fog was so thick, but it was bad everywhere.

It depends what you want to help you know if you would like it there. Glad you found something you like though!!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexicana View Post
I only know two people who live there and one thinks it is very conservative (which may or may not be good news for you). The other person is quite liberal and quite happy there.

It is a quiet town with little industry. We drove through it a lot last late Winter/ Early Spring on our way to Bennington. The roads were fine, but a bit bumpy in places (pretty common at that time of year though). One day I couldn't drive into Greenfield because the fog was so thick, but it was bad everywhere.

It depends what you want to help you know if you would like it there. Glad you found something you like though!!
Basically looking for a nice house, on acreage, somewhat close to a larger town/city so my wife can work.

Me, I just want to target shoot, and possibly hunt on my property and not have people complain.

Small .gov is nice too, considering what we're about to get this November.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM

117 posts, read 425,010 times
Sounds just fine then, if your wife can work in Peterborough. If not, it could be about an hour to Manchester or Concord.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 AM

36 posts, read 99,411 times
Hi John. There is a property for sale in Greenfield with 96 acres on it. Is that the one you're considering? Do you or will you plan to have children who attend the public schools? While I have no first hand experience, according to School Digger stats, Greenfield Elementary doesn't rate very high. But if schools are not a consideration, I think it would be a fine property for target shooting. Harder to find places in NH to do that these days. I grew up skeet shooting in my back yard on 40 acres and haven't done it in about 4 years since I moved. We're looking for acreage in NH ourselves to enjoy some of the same, outdoor experiences. Moderator cut: realtor solicitation

Last edited by vter; 10-20-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Bump. Anyone else?

We're also looking into Epsom.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times
Epsom is a nice little town. I had a farmhouse there years ago. Your not far from Concord or Manchester area for work. Epsom is surrounded by a bunch of nice towns, Deerfield,Chichester,Pittsfield. The hunting is pretty good in that area. I lived in Epsom and Deerfield and there was never any shortage of venison in my freezer.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Epsom is a nice little town. I had a farmhouse there years ago. Your not far from Concord or Manchester area for work. Epsom is surrounded by a bunch of nice towns, Deerfield,Chichester,Pittsfield. The hunting is pretty good in that area. I lived in Epsom and Deerfield and there was never any shortage of venison in my freezer.
Is there any moose down that way? What other kind of wildlife would I expect to see?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire