U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,985,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
BINGO! Brave Stranger, how did you know exactly what I was referring to?
California use to be a great state......it's a place many people are leaving now. Funny story: California used to tax pensions earned in CA, even if you moved to another state they kept taxing you. They called it a "source tax". In the early 90s NH was one of the only states in the country that would NOT work with CA to send that pension money back if you moved to NH. So we got a lot of good folks from CA that moved here with all their money. The "source tax" was taken off the books about 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,835,761 times
I hate all these polls and reports. I just saw Lebanon rated as great place with stable jobs/high salaries/low unemployment.
Really, now--between this and those glory stories of how great Hanover is, we are going to have an influx of EVERYONE trying to find the streets paved with gold--or am I just crabby because I am having trouble finding a job.

This area has a lot of competition, mainly 'techie' jobs or yes, underemployment! (stores/waitress work).

Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM

894 posts, read 704,484 times
I played with an online COL calculator and compared Cambridge, MA with Hanover the results were if you made 100K in Cambridge to have the same standard of living in Hanover you'd need to make 98K. MA ain't perfect but there are a lot more 100K jobs in Cambridge than 98K jobs in Hanover. Glorious locations to live stories are all bunk IMO.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM

2,142 posts, read 2,924,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I played with an online COL calculator and compared Cambridge, MA with Hanover the results were if you made 100K in Cambridge to have the same standard of living in Hanover you'd need to make 98K. MA ain't perfect but there are a lot more 100K jobs in Cambridge than 98K jobs in Hanover. Glorious locations to live stories are all bunk IMO.
I checked and the have Hanover as being 10% cheaper. Hanover is a college town and the housing is expensive. How about Nashua NH vs Cambridge: Nashua is 37% less expensive overall and housing is 63% less in Nashua. How about Portsmouth which is a bit trendier than Nashua. Portsmouth is 29% less overall and housing is 51% less.

I have lived in MA (Cambridge, Charlestown, Woburn, Norwood) and southern NH and the overall costs are much less in NH...

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Link to competitor site, sorry.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Costs are lower and wages and [worse] opportunity is lower. I've done both I'll take the large expensive metro area with more going on. Nothing personal folks are free to live wherever and that's fine by me.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,835,761 times
mustmove...what part of NH do you live in? (if you want to say the biggest town near you, that's fine). I am just curious.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Top of the upper valley VT. Rivendell is the district. 45 minutes to hanover/W.Leb about the same to Barre/Mont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire