Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM

161 posts, read 643,184 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble breaking into the job market in NH. I have a smoking resume, 15 years experience, worked for major companies like Microsoft, and a bunch of others I won't mention. But I just am not getting any response from remote employers in NH or even recruiters.

I don't know if its that they don't want to pay for relocation, so they don't bother even answering me, or if they assume I'm overpriced, or what.

I'm a bit at a loss since I can easily get jobs here in the NY area. Does anyone know of any good reputable recruiters for technology positions (software) in NH? I've tried Robert Half and they didn't even bother responding, which is very odd.

Is it just that the job market in NH is super small compared to NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 AM

885 posts, read 2,651,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
I am having trouble breaking into the job market in NH. I have a smoking resume, 15 years experience, worked for major companies like Microsoft, and a bunch of others I won't mention. But I just am not getting any response from remote employers in NH or even recruiters.

I don't know if its that they don't want to pay for relocation, so they don't bother even answering me, or if they assume I'm overpriced, or what.

I'm a bit at a loss since I can easily get jobs here in the NY area. Does anyone know of any good reputable recruiters for technology positions (software) in NH? I've tried Robert Half and they didn't even bother responding, which is very odd.

Is it just that the job market in NH is super small compared to NY?
If you're mentioning re-lo in your intro letters maybe that is losing you the initial contact. Are you in IT Tech or IT Management? Companies in the north Boston area might be likelier to pay relo but probably only for executive levels. Frankly, the current business climate is not conducive.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM

91 posts, read 307,125 times
I don't know of any technical recruiters, but Conway, NH has a tech village/business incubator (Technology Park & Business Incubator in Conway, NH). You could try there for possible jobs? There are also a couple of other software companies in the White Mountains.

However, in our experience (my husband is a software engineer), NH doesn't pay all that well compared to the rest of the US. We like the area though, so we deal with the lower pay.

Good luck with your job search!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,046,047 times
Not sure how open you are to living in southern NH and working in MA...but there are a ton of software firms & defense contractors in MA.

Remember that on monster and other search boards many recruiters run local searches. If you aren't concerned with relocation (paying it yourself) this hurts your chances of being found. When I applied for a job once I listed a friends address nearby (where I'd live temporarily if I received the job); it wasn't a big deal to simply put "moving to:" in front of the address on my resume since I was willing to fully shoulder any associated moving costs/it wasn't relevant to my hiring.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 29,477 times
I found your blog while creating my own. My husband has similar amount of experience working for HP and UPS 16 years collectively however just now receiving a BA in digital technology engineering and minor in MIS. He is hoping for a project manager as that is his experience paying around 80-100 a year. We currently live in the Portland/ Seattle area BUT I am from Boston and am desperate to return. I was hoping this was our chance through a relo-job offer. I am suddenly VERY discouraged at your blog and am anxious to hear your outcome esp. since you are only coming from New York. I am a RN and would be able to get some relo- but we will see how that plays out. Keep me posted and certainly I wish you luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magebby View Post
I found your blog while creating my own. My husband has similar amount of experience working for HP and UPS 16 years collectively however just now receiving a BA in digital technology engineering and minor in MIS. He is hoping for a project manager as that is his experience paying around 80-100 a year. We currently live in the Portland/ Seattle area BUT I am from Boston and am desperate to return. I was hoping this was our chance through a relo-job offer. I am suddenly VERY discouraged at your blog and am anxious to hear your outcome esp. since you are only coming from New York. I am a RN and would be able to get some relo- but we will see how that plays out. Keep me posted and certainly I wish you luck!
Are you talking to me? I don't have a blog so I am a bit lost at what you mean. Or did you mean "post" instead of "blog"??

Anyway I am probably going to give up on NH for now and look to other states. I love NH but the job market just isn't quite as liquid as I would like it to be for a big move.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 PM

71 posts, read 365,617 times
I too have applied for several positions through Robert Half and never received a response, although I was more than qualified. What part of NH are you looking to relocate to? There is a company out of Portland, ME called Accomplished Professionals that often has positions in southern NH. My plans to relocate have been put on hold, but when I was looking they were very friendly and easy to work with.

Over the summer I was offered a position with a certain college in the Upper Valley area. I declined the offer for various reasons, but they did offer relocation and a number of other attractive incentives. Another big employer in the Upper Valley area is Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info

BTW, what's is your forte? I'm a .NET/C#/T-SQL guy.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,692,575 times
Did you try National Engineering in Portsmouth? They are dedicated to software engineering recruiting and a few other engineering positions. I read this thread in horror because y'all are so negative. Yes first and foremost in this economy don't expect relocation to be paid! If you want to move, plan on shouldering that financial responsibility - trust me NH is worth it!

Put a local contact address and number, or at least list how soon you'd be able to appear in person - because if you live far away they can't call you 48 hours before a job starts and expect you to be there - unless you say you can be - this should all be covered in your cover letter - if you aren't writing a cover letter, then you will not be considered. Don't state what you want for pay! Tell them you are certainly available for negotiations, because based on your state vs NH, the prices are so different that you may be pricing yourself OUT of a job because you are going according to prices in NY or OR etc...

Check out some of the larger companies directly - every company that large has a website, go to it and check out their "careers or job opportunities" link. Many companies now aren't using recruiters (trust me I was a recruiter with a company and they make BIG money off you the laborer by charging the company over 2x what they pay you, then charge the company again if they want to hire you permanently!)

Make sure you stay on top of the field by updating your certifications and training in new programming etc... C+++ and a lot of the older type software are still in high demand due to the costs of changing to the newer software. Also make sure you state how easy it is for you to train yourself on more 'proprietary' software they may have developed for their company - if you are only familiar with one kind of software language then you could be lost if they are based on another type.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but your posts seemed as if you really had no idea why you were being overlooked. Trust me if you are a good candidate, many companies will hire you or find a way to hire you or at least talk to you. Also make sure to write why you left these previous great jobs. If you are currently working at a great job, list why you want to leave this "great job" - without BEING NEGATIVE.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,167,777 times
Talking HELLO NH! :0) Thank you ALL for the GREAT posts & thread!:0)

Thank you JMISHY!

THANK YOU "RMCEWAN!"Thank you "CAPTAIN ED!!"

THANK YOU! "BF66389" THANK YOU NH2NCMOM!

GREAT INFO ON THIS THREAD!THANK YOU!

Lets keep the GREAT TIPS coming!!Very HELPFUL!!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Did you try National Engineering in Portsmouth? They are dedicated to software engineering recruiting and a few other engineering positions. I read this thread in horror because y'all are so negative. Yes first and foremost in this economy don't expect relocation to be paid! If you want to move, plan on shouldering that financial responsibility - trust me NH is worth it!

Put a local contact address and number, or at least list how soon you'd be able to appear in person - because if you live far away they can't call you 48 hours before a job starts and expect you to be there - unless you say you can be - this should all be covered in your cover letter - if you aren't writing a cover letter, then you will not be considered. Don't state what you want for pay! Tell them you are certainly available for negotiations, because based on your state vs NH, the prices are so different that you may be pricing yourself OUT of a job because you are going according to prices in NY or OR etc...

Check out some of the larger companies directly - every company that large has a website, go to it and check out their "careers or job opportunities" link. Many companies now aren't using recruiters (trust me I was a recruiter with a company and they make BIG money off you the laborer by charging the company over 2x what they pay you, then charge the company again if they want to hire you permanently!)

Make sure you stay on top of the field by updating your certifications and training in new programming etc... C+++ and a lot of the older type software are still in high demand due to the costs of changing to the newer software. Also make sure you state how easy it is for you to train yourself on more 'proprietary' software they may have developed for their company - if you are only familiar with one kind of software language then you could be lost if they are based on another type.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but your posts seemed as if you really had no idea why you were being overlooked. Trust me if you are a good candidate, many companies will hire you or find a way to hire you or at least talk to you. Also make sure to write why you left these previous great jobs. If you are currently working at a great job, list why you want to leave this "great job" - without BEING NEGATIVE.

Last edited by countrylv22; 11-09-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0) HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!:0) PEACE!:0)

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 PM

Thanks all and NH2NCMom for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire