Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM

37 posts, read 154,800 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I currently own a home in Nashua and we are looking to move to either Bedford or Londonderry sometime in the next 12 months . Londonderry seems slightly more affordable, but the Bedford schools seem to be superior to the Londonderry system. I hate to make decisions based on objective data alone and would really appreciate any first hand information that anyone has to share about the schools, community, social organizations, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Default bump

just bumping to see if anyone has any info.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,924 times
Cool rosanne

Hi
This is my first time on this site so bear with me please. My husband and I have lived in Londonderry for 3 years. We moved here from Mass. Best thing we ever did in my opinion. I have no kids so I don't have any info on that except for Londonderry has its own schools so you don't have to worry about kids being bussed to other towns for school. Bedford is a very nice town but is rather expensive.
There is everything you need, lots of shopping,grocery stores,restaurants etc. The town offices and police station were just built and a new fire station was just completed where I am in south Londonderry. Even though it does seem like urban sprawl is creeping up more and more, I still find that once you leave the busy areas of town it's quiet and rural. As you can probably tell I'm very happy here and think you would be too. Good Luck in your search and I hope I helped in some small way.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 58,041 times
My family recently moved to Londonderry. Bedford was on our list too. We looked at homes in both towns and just liked the feel of Londonderry.

Our previous home was in a great school district (Exeter). Schools are very important to us too. But this time around we wanted to base our decision on more than test scores.

Good luck...and listen to your gut.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you for your responses, I really like both towns, so it may just come down to finding the perfect house in a great neighborhood...thanks again!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,747 times
Default Cost of Living in Londonderry, NH

I will be going to Londonderry, NH a few weeks from now for a job interview at one of the companies based there. I am just wondering how much is the cost of living there - the utilities and housing/apartment rental. Also, what is the crime rate? I would greatly appreciate whatever information you can provide me.

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:59 PM

49 posts, read 182,608 times
Default cost of living in londonderry

hello..i've lived in londonderry for the past 9 years...its pricey yet you get what you pay for...fine schools, great community, low crime rate...taxes are high but its a wonderful town..i'm sure you wont be dissapointed...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
I live in the Rolling Meadows condo off Old Nashua road. Been there for over 20 years. If you want to live in a nice quiet (except for airplanes) place these are the nicest condo in southern New Hampshire. Check us out.

I have seen L'derry go from an affordable exurb to a place that is driving us out with the taxes. Yes, the people voted the expenditures and they were needed, but not by me or my wife. However, if you want a mid to upper middle class town this is a good choice.

Just ignore the southwest airline birds flocking about suppertime. There are some good buys along High Ridge Road because of the noise.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM

15 posts, read 64,225 times
Default New poster from Bedford, NH

Hello,

I'm from Bedford and commute to Salem, NH five days a week. I'm not the authority on the commute - the two shifts I work have me avoiding the rush one way or the other. I can speak about Bedford, however. We moved to Bedford a couple of years ago from neighboring Merrimack; I'm from Long Island originally.

Bedford has been a great place to live. We have a very modest home by either L'dy or Bedford standards, though it's on a pond, thus making it worth the modesty (2 bedrooms on 1/10th of an acre - a former summer cabin). We've had great experiences with our neighbors and the folks in the town office - which was important, since we had to renovate the house before moving in, and we needed permits, etc, something we'd never done before. We have a nice library and the property taxes aren't too bad compared to surrounding towns, especially considering we're opening our own High School (and a new middle school) this year - up to now we sent our High Schoolers to Manchester's West High School. It looks like a terrific facility and so far I've been impressed by the programs they're implementing, such as the International Baccalaureate program - one of the few schools in the Northeast to have this program. It's true that some areas are very pricy - the big piece of properties with the mansion-sized homes on them. There are other areas of the town, however, that are comparable to Ldy in price. Your commute would be a factor - if you work in Nashua, Bedford's a lot closer and you won't have to drive through Manchester to get there.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 AM

Question 1 question...preferred elementary school in bedford?

Thanks so much for the input on Bedford. I think that we have decided that Bedford is the place for us. We have looked at a lot of information on both Londonderry and Bedford and it just seems that Bedford is a better fit. The schools sound wonderful by all accounts, and even though we have quite a while before middle and high school(kids are 3 and 1) it's nice to know that the facilities will be in good condition when we get to that stage.

We are anticipating spending between $450-500k on a home, and it looks like there is a decent selection in that price range, so hopefully we'll find something great.

I have one more question...we have friends who live in the Riddle Brook school district, they are quite pleased, but I have also heard great things about The Peter Woodbury School, I know less about Memorial...does anyone have any first hand experiences with any of the elementary schools in Bedford?

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire