Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 14,752 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job off of Commerce Way exit on 93 and would be commuting from Nashua, NH(Exit 1 off Route 3) every day. Does anyone have any comments on what the commute would be like?

Last edited by markb4778; 11-13-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,718 times
There are two problem areas. First is Rt 495 entering into Rt 3. This can grind to a halt depending on the time of your commute. The second is getting from Rt 3 onto 128/95. That depends on Rt 128 traffic. There are ways around it, such as getting off on Rt 62 and heading east. My guess is that your commute is 30 minutes best case no traffic. More like 45 minutes...

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 14,752 times
Mapquest says I should go rte 3 to 495 to 93. Does anyone have any experience with this commute?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,590 times
Hollis to MITRE off exit 26 off 3 in Bedford, "on average" is safely assumed to be 45 minutes for us...morning or evening commute & regardless of time.

It will frequently take 10-15 longer or 10-15 shorter...

On rare occassions (first big snow during workday) it will be ridiculous. The other day a deer was hit and resulted in 2 lanes getting closed...made it an hour and 20 instead...

If you know of specific traffic accidents beforehand- plenty of bypasses (you can jump off 3 and switch to 3a to avoid "major" issues or jump onto the Middlesex Pike if its an issue further down)

As for "to Woburn"...it depends where in Woburn exactly; but either way you can take exit 26 to route 62 and avoid getting on 95/128 at all.

I work about the same distance off 3 as Woburn (though it depends what part, and I don't know Woburn specific traffic patterns)...but I'd say an hour is a good/safe bet.

You will slow where 495/3 merge...but that's about it; unless you leave early/late and miss rush-hour (which is suprisingly early).

93 is awful...since it goes straight into the city there seems to be a lot more traffic on it.

If you are a morning person- you can avoid traffic almost entirely by just getting up early/leaving your home early.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 27,992 times
My husband and I have both commuted to Burlington for seven years and have tried every route out there possible, both 93 and route 3. I don't commute now but my husband still does and would never go 93. Do NOT go 93. On the best of days there is an accident. We eventually gave up as we were always late for work no matter what time we left. Seen as you are living in Nashua and are right off Route 3, that is your best option. Go Route 3, try and avoid 93 if at all possible. It seems a little longer sometimes but at least it is more reliable.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM

230 posts, read 875,393 times
Years ago I used to do that commute, route 3 to 495 to 93. I remember traffic on route 3 being heavy because it was only two lanes, and if there was an accident, forget it. During peak rush hour the route 3/495 merge in Lowell can get backed up, as can the 495/93 merge, though not as bad. You could stay on route 3 till it ends in Burlington then hop on 128/95 north, which is a heavily traveled 4-lane highway. I don't live in that area any more, but I imagine the area and the traffic has gotten more congested in the years since I lived there.

As I get older I find I have less and less tolerance for highway driving and long commutes. The last time I was on 495 was a couple of years ago, and I will never do it again. 495 northeast of Lowell especially made me nervous because of the volume of traffic and all of the tractor-trailers going at breakneck speed. The only way to avoid the crunch is to leave the house very early or to find an alternate route. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,590 times
Asta-
The number of vehicles has probably increased. But Route 3 has also been widened dramatically to accomodate it, its 3+ lanes now and wider/with better merges in many key places. 3 is definately a much smoother route on most days than 93. You can also take 3A or 4 if you want a less-traffic/off-highway/scenic route (though its correspondingly slower).

Traffic is also a HUGE matter of perception. The worst (barring the first major snowstorm of the year during work hours) traffic day here is still better than the average traffic day in DC/Northern VA where I came from. Though I am slowly adapting and getting mad about 10 minute delays

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,136 times
BF - I am also a recent transplant from the DC metro area. I commuted daily from the Annapolis area to Judiciary Square. I agree with you on relativity of traffic/perceptions!

I commute a couple of days a week down 93 to Commerce Way (that's where my commuter rail station is - my final destination is North Station).

Here's a few things I have learned since July 2008...

In the summer you will be FINE - there is NO traffic as you would define it. Didn't matter if I hit 93/Mass at 6:30, 7 or 8am -- NO traffic (even though the radio was saying "heavy traffic at exit blunkity-blunk..." sorry -- moving at 55-75mph isn't traffic in my book.

The "minor" federal holidays -- the ones where only the government has off? Well - only the government has off! Translation -- very little traffic difference.

Other than in summer -- 93 in MA between Rt 495 and Commerce Way (exit 37c) -- traffic varies. A lot. It can take me 12 minutes or it can take me 30 minutes. The earlier you go the better off you are. If you can get to work by 7 or 7:15 it should be ok. After that it's more toward the 20-25 minutes between 495 and Commerce Way.

Also, they use the right-hand shoulder/berm/breakdown lane as an extra lane from 6-10am (almost from the MA/NH border down to Rt 125) but it is *dangerous* -- and I grew up and learned to drive in the metro NYC area and then dealt with all of the Dips in Washington! There is no rhyme or reason as to who gives (or doesn't) the right of way when you are in the shoulder and have traffic merging from your right.

There have been a few times when I tried out 495 to Rt 3 and picked up Rt 93 farther north in Manchester...personally, I found it just as trafficky (or lack of) as 93 and it took me longer.

Safe travels - Jackie

Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
Quote:
sorry -- moving at 55-75mph isn't traffic in my book.
as the one still down in that area, I completely agree. It's just 'high volume'.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM

230 posts, read 875,393 times
Glad to hear that some improvements have been made to route 3! It used to be horrible during rush hour when it was only two lanes. You're right about traffic being a matter of perception. My brother lives in California and he can tolerate traffic situations that make me pull my hair out. When he comes to visit, we have to remind him that he's not in Cali any more, so slow the heck down! I prefer a less hectic commute. And I have witnessed two highway fatalities within the last five years. So I stay away from the fast lanes now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire