Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times

Advertisements

We used to as well, years ago. But as I got older and grouchier, I'd wend my way through the overly decorated streets of the city, longing to come home to a nice, sane (well...that's all relative!) undecorated house.

Where I work, a lot of clients really hate reminders of this time of year; some are homeless, many are estranged from their families..understandably, Xmas decs. grate on them a bit. I'd rather we didnt have them at work, but I've been called Ms Grinch so often now that my skin has a green tint to it. See?

I'm only there part time anyways and should really go now 'cos I've rambled on too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 AM

571 posts, read 1,318,293 times
My wife has informed me that our outdoor display will consist of light decorations hung on the inside of each of our four upstairs windows. No strung lights or lawn displays - because of the electricity costs and the need to save money.
I usually put up green garland around the walls of our living room with little red bows where the thumbtacks hold it up. I stretch strings across a wall in our dining room to hang the cards we get and our fake tree ( bought years ago on sale from Ames) sets on a low table by a front window.
My company's "holiday party" will be on January 10. A club I belong to will have their party at the LongHorn steakhouse in Manchester on Dec.6 and we may go the the Nashua Republican club's pot luck party on Dec.13.
Neither my wife or I have any relatives within 250 miles so we have a pretty low key holiday but we do try to give our kindergarden daughter a special day!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM

122 posts, read 313,342 times
This year, we'll get our real tree (8' and smelly) the weekend of Thanksgiving. I'm having a cookie exchange party in the beginning of December, so I need the house to be decorated before that. We have loads of ornaments, all with special meaning. We put solar-powered candles in the windows in the front of the house, DH puts lights out around the perimeter of the roof in the front, we have solar-pwered lanterns going around foliage in the front of our yard, and a few "stick" ornaments that go there as well. In the back patio area, we have white lights gong around the perimeter of the pool. Inside, I have Jim Shore, lots of Yankee Candles, Cherished Teddies, plus loads of miscellaneous stuff. We have to have everything down and put away by the beginning of Jan. this year since we are putting our house up for sale then. Christmas in So. Florida is always up for grabs. Most of the time, we could go swimming if we wanted. Once in awhile (every 7-8 years) it's cool enough to open the windows and doors and wear cozy flannel pjs. This is our last year here, after over 35 years.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 AM

100 posts, read 206,213 times
ok here is a stupid off topic question.

I keep seeing "DH" throughout the posts. By the content of the messages I'm guessing this means spouse. Being divorced after 23 years and a little jaded..... is "DH" the expression/abbreviation I think it is?

jaqui

Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
DH - dear husband/hubby

DD - dear daughter

etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
DH - dear husband/hubby

DD - dear daughter

etc.
Thank you buck,

That's not what I thought it meant....

jaqui

Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times

Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
DH, DW, DD, DS...
Well, as you guess it means hubby, wife, daughter or son... The "D" part, I suppose sometimes it means dear other times it means something else...

Quote:
DH - dear husband/hubby

DD - dear daughter

etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
DH, DW, DD, DS...
The "D" part, I suppose sometimes it means dear other times it means something else...
I love flexible acronyms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire