Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,331 times

Advertisements

We currently have service with Verizon and due to the landscape it doesn't work at our home (no service will reliably) but are generally happy with the service's coverage. However since our usage is erratic rollover minutes would be beneficial to us and I'd appreciate a greater selection in phones; so I'm investigating ATT as well.

So for those of you with ATT, how is your coverage and in what parts of the state? Also if any of you have had Verizon recently- which service has been better for you? Thanks!

Oh- and I've looked at coverage maps; while ATT shows a lot less coverage- I also tend to believe it more because Verizon shows coverage in areas I know they have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM

282 posts, read 1,182,550 times
I have had great luck with my Verizon service, and I travel the whole state for work. Very few areas that I have no service. I have heard, from friends and family, that ATT really stinks in NH. Many people want Iphones, including me, but can't get them because the service from ATT is so bad around here.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
I have had great luck with my Verizon service, and I travel the whole state for work. Very few areas that I have no service. I have heard, from friends and family, that ATT really stinks in NH. Many people want Iphones, including me, but can't get them because the service from ATT is so bad around here.

Hahaha... Including us

Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times
Default Can you hear me now...

I'm with Verizon wireless, and plan on staying. My profession demands that I do a ton of driving, and being licensed in both MA and NH I have to be available as often as possible when on the road in BOTH states. I got mad after going WAY over on my minutes a few months in a row, and went with AT&T for a short time. LUCKILY I was able to get out of the contract with them and went back to Verizon. There are VERY FEW areas of the state where I can't get a signal, much of which is right along High Range Road in Londonderry, and spotty service all along Route 128 from Londonderry all the way down to Lowell/Dracut.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM

263 posts, read 857,224 times
I currently have Nextel and CAN'T STAND IT! My boyfriend and I went to the Verizon store to look into plans but my credit is not so great and they wanted a $400 deposit up front before I could sign up! I don't have an extra $400 laying around at this time of year, so I have to just suck it up for now! : ( I'm bummed out about that, but what can you do, you know?
I have some friends and neighbors that have Verizon and say it is, by far, the best service in NH.
There are less dropped calls and more service coverage than Nextel thats for sure!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

587 posts, read 1,618,506 times
Val - Verizon coverage good in the Keene and Peterborough area??

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,922 times
Check into getting your phone "upgraded" through the Verizon office - not purchasing a new phone, but they upgrade it through the computer - like a "patch" of sorts. That might help with some of your trouble spots renlouis, it did my boss here in NC.

I have ATT here in NC and love the rollover minutes personally, but you have to use them within a year I think. My coverage in NC is sporadic as well.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM

879 posts, read 2,331,666 times
NH is unique in that its topography tends to wreak havoc on phone signals. I drove truck for a couple years throughout NH so I'll offer what I can. The biggest trouble spots in NH tend to be along rt. 89, the Monadnock region, the Lakes region, almost anything north of Concord, and the inner seacoast area.

Nextel - I had Nextel for years when I lived on the seacoast, and spent most of my time in Maine and Eastern Mass. Nextel worked great then, but when they merged with Sprint they went downhill. Nextel doesn't work in the Monadnock region, and is spotty at best in northern NH.

Sprint - They have greater coverage than Nextel, but their customer service is awful. It is difficult to travel the state and stay connected. Spotty service up north.

Verizon - Many of the drivers I worked with had them. Good overall coverage. Can travel laterally in the state and stay connected. There is coverage up north, but it may be roaming off of Canadian towers (can't remember.)

AT&T - This is my current phone provider. Good choice of phones, and good coverage. Not the cheapest company though. Got them after I quit driving so I am unsure of the conditions north of Concord.

T-Mobile - Cheap plans, good phone choices, good coverage. They don't seem to have the best tower overlap so rural areas can suffer.

U.S. Cellular - My gf has them. Great customer service, but crappy plans. Her phone tends to roam a lot, even in downtown Keene and downtown Portland.

There are other companies out there too. Tracphone (sp?) is actually one of the best because they use the other companies towers meaning you almost always have coverage.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,290,373 times
We have US Cellular and we are very happy with them. We live in the Lakes region. Yes there are not US Cellular Towers everywhere. We pay for the plan where you don't pay extra for roaming. We also don't pay for incoming calls. We are not on the highest plan either-more like a medium plan. I am in Florida a lot to help out my parents and we are in New Jersey a lot visiting. We are always on roam in both of those states but since we pick the higher package we don't pay for the roaming-ever. Granted some people don't want to pay for the higher packages but for us it works. We have had Sprint and Verizon. We are much happier with US Cellular. Customer service is great and we became really unhappy with Verizon towards the end. We go all over the state and have never had a problem getting service-yes it might be roaming service but as I stated that is included in our plan.

Nicole

Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM

586 posts, read 1,501,374 times
Verizon is the only thing that works in my part of NH consistently, unfortunately. I don't like their customer service...in that there is none. But ATT was absolutely horrible here. Verizon had ots of phones to choose from imho. I have the blackberry 8130 -- they had a deal going a few months ago where it was only $49.

jackie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire