U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,603 times
Default thinking of relocating to hillsborough or rockingham county

Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to southern New Hampshire and we're looking for advice on Rockingham vs Hillsborough counties. We currently live on the South Shore of Massachusetts, but are tired of how "city-fied" it's become. I work in Boston so I will be commuting 4-5 days a week. Long commutes don't bother me - to get into Boston from my current location is on average 1 hr and 45 mins one way. For the past several months we've been researching the communities in Hillsborough County because we like the remote rural feeling, particularly New Ipswich and Mason. We don't have children so schools are not a concern and we'd rather not pay exorbitant taxes (so for now we're rulling out high tax places like Brookline, Hollis, Amherst, etc.).

I'm concerned, however, that Hillsborough may be too far of a commute, even for me, so we're thinking about Rockingham County as well. My husband is an amateur astronomer so dark skies are a must. Some of the towns suggested to us were Chester and Sandown. But just how much of an extension of MA has Rockingham county become? We've moved alot in the last few years and so we'd like this next house to be "the one" for the next 20-25 years until we retire. I don't want to trade one "up and coming" community, like the one we're in now, for the same thing further north. I know no one has a crystal ball, but is Rockingham (or even Hillsborough, for that matter) poised to go through a population/economic development boom? If so, we may as well stay put until we can retire truly in the country. One last concern (although a minor one) - just how politically conservative is NH? We're pretty liberal (hey, I said we were from MA LOL), and while we don't go around talking to neighbors about our political views, it would be hard to always be on the opposite side of the fence from everyone around us . . .one reason why I've always ruled out moving down south. Again, not a major factor in our decision - just curious. Thanks much for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM

680 posts, read 1,482,188 times
I don't think you have to worry about any area of the country going through a development boom any time soon. The real estate market is horrible, credit is short, and no one is going to loan developers money to build anything any time soon. Without a crystal ball, I think your best bet is to drive through the towns you're interested in, narrow down your list, and then drive the commute in rush hour to see what's doable for you. I wouldn't try to predict the future because it's anybody's guess right now.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM

28 posts, read 48,422 times
Default NH vs MA

I moved to NH from MA 9 years ago, It was the best decision I ever made. I am in Bedford, NH which is a quaint town. My husband commutes in to Boston 4 - 5 times a week and doesn't seem to mind it. If he leaves before rush hour, it's usually an hour commute.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,891,244 times
Since we'll be moving to New Ipswich, and I have a little experience there (albeit most is from the '60s), I try to keep up with what's happening currently.

Depending on where in Boston, the commute is likely to be around 1.5 hours or so. You'd most likely go down to Fitchburg and come in around that way. It's not an 'easy' commute although it shouldn't have the traffic that Rt 3 from Nashua has.

New Ipswich is conservative. checking the election results, while they voted for Lynch <sigh>, they voted republican on every other candidate ! It's a nice little town, and should have pretty dark skies at night - especially if you go out around the high school where it would be more open.

Can't say much about Mason, I don't know too much - although oddly it's a bit more expensive there. It's also an odd town: one without a town center (I joke that they're town center split off in the 1800s and became Greenville, which is why Mason has none and Greenville is nothing but!).

Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM

452 posts, read 1,071,061 times
With New England Collage, Henniker NH would cover your political views. And, the country surroundings would be beneficial for your husbands astronomy hobby. I believe the NH Astronomical Society Hold monthly meetings at a hilltop farm in the area of Hopkington, which is the town to the east. However, your still nearly an hour and a half commute to Boston on a good day.

You may consider the Milford area or a little more north such as Mont Vernon, New Boston and Lyndeborough. These town are not too far from highway access, shortening your trip to under an hour, as well as have those dark starry skys!

The Goffstown, Weare and Dunbarton area gets you to Boston in just over an hour. I can tell you it get pretty dark in the country up here.

Best of luck on your hunt....

Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM

4,029 posts, read 7,649,454 times
bogie, another thing to consider is that New Hampshire tends to get much more snow than the South Shore of MA. You would want to factor that into your commute, and I wonder if it may be possible to telecommute on days that the major higheways are giant parking lots. While this is typically worst in the first few storms (amazing that people forget how to drive in this stuff!) it's something that you want to be aware of.

Now, Rockingham vs. Hillsborough Counties... Good call on avoiding some of the "better schools=higher taxes" towns, you can add Derry, Londonderry, Hampstead, Atkinson and Plaistow to that list.

Chester and Sandown are great locations with plenty of dark sky. Auburn, especially the eastern side, away from Manchester and the lights along 93/101 might be a good possibility (but still easy access TO 101/93) Possibly Candia as well. Chester tends to have more open space/farm land, while Sandown has LOTS of tall pines, which might limit some of the sky viewing access.

I agree 100% with JThibodeau, and would have suggested the same Hillsborough towns myself (cept for Henniker which is in Merrimack County). As noted, the northern & western portions of Hillsborough County would tend to be less populated and less light pollution, but would be quiet a long commute for you.

And last but not least, and NOT to turn this into a political thread, but the quieter areas that you seem to be seeking would tend to be less liberal than the citified areas that you're seeking to leave. On one hand, you ask how much Rock. County has become an extension of MA, and on the other, want to be in an area where your liberal views will fit in. Hmmmmm Do you see the quandry? Sounds like you want to get away, but not really... You, like many other "MA escapees" move to NH, retain the same voting habits and political leanings, and turn NH more and more into the Mass. extension that you're trying to avoid... Think about it, really what are you really looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieMA View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to southern New Hampshire and we're looking for advice on Rockingham vs Hillsborough counties. We currently live on the South Shore of Massachusetts, but are tired of how "city-fied" it's become. I work in Boston so I will be commuting 4-5 days a week. Long commutes don't bother me - to get into Boston from my current location is on average 1 hr and 45 mins one way. For the past several months we've been researching the communities in Hillsborough County because we like the remote rural feeling, particularly New Ipswich and Mason. We don't have children so schools are not a concern and we'd rather not pay exorbitant taxes (so for now we're rulling out high tax places like Brookline, Hollis, Amherst, etc.).

I'm concerned, however, that Hillsborough may be too far of a commute, even for me, so we're thinking about Rockingham County as well. My husband is an amateur astronomer so dark skies are a must. Some of the towns suggested to us were Chester and Sandown. But just how much of an extension of MA has Rockingham county become? We've moved alot in the last few years and so we'd like this next house to be "the one" for the next 20-25 years until we retire. I don't want to trade one "up and coming" community, like the one we're in now, for the same thing further north. I know no one has a crystal ball, but is Rockingham (or even Hillsborough, for that matter) poised to go through a population/economic development boom? If so, we may as well stay put until we can retire truly in the country. One last concern (although a minor one) - just how politically conservative is NH? We're pretty liberal (hey, I said we were from MA LOL), and while we don't go around talking to neighbors about our political views, it would be hard to always be on the opposite side of the fence from everyone around us . . .one reason why I've always ruled out moving down south. Again, not a major factor in our decision - just curious. Thanks much for any advice!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 21,540 times
This thread seems to have conked out in Jan but I'd like to revive it if possible.

I, too, am looking to relocate to NH. I've lived in NYC for about 15 yrs and want OUT. Luckily I was raised upstate so I still have my wits about me, but I'd be completely starting over: car, house or rental, job, etc. I want conservative, in the most strict, traditional sense of the word. Surely, NH still has one or two of those areas?

Any information would be greatly appreciated--

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

28 posts, read 48,422 times
Seems as though many people from NJ and NY are choosing to move to NH. I moved to NH about 10 years ago from MA and love it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire