U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 AM

556 posts, read 1,133,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Ford makes the safest Trucks and most reliable. The Ford F150 & 250 is built around a very strong frame! My neighbor had a big ToyotaTundra and he was in a head on with a Ford 250. The ford 250 won where his Toyota Tundra was totaled.

These Toyota, Nisan and Honda Trucks are basically unibody construction even though the companies claim that they are on a solid frame, but the problem is that their definition of what is a steel cage and frame deviates greatly from the standards of American Truck makers!
This info is wrong. The current GM trucks get better crash ratings than the Ford F150. The F250 is a completely different truck in that it is built on a heavy duty chassis (meaning straight work truck.) The Tundra is made with a frame, a real frame. The Tundra has other issues though, like cam shaft recalls and bending tail gates. The FJ cruiser suffers from frame cracks near the front wheels. The Nissan is also a body-on-frame truck. The current Nissan Frontier is an excellent mid sized truck. The new Titan (not out yet) will be a rebodied Dodge Ram. The Honda is a different beast. It is a unibody and frame combo. It is not good for a truck, but decent for an occasional truck.

The Ford Flex is a great 'minivan.' Try one out. The cute utes, Rav 4, CRV, etc, are all fairly decent. Basically it comes down to price and options on those.

The Jeep Wrangler is great for NH. They can be expensive for what you get, but you can't beat actual 4wd and a convertable. The 4 door comes with a hard top so winter snow isn't an issue.

Subarus make excellent NH cars too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 PM

586 posts, read 963,835 times
Thanks everyoneGreat advice all around.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,192,114 times
Buy a certified used car that has good reliability ratings. It is a much better value compared to buying anything new when you factor in fast depreciation rates.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM

134 posts, read 168,880 times
when it was time to get a new car, we got another rav4. the size and capabilities(cargo space, towing ,4wd etc) were right for us. i would have considered a crv except that they do not make a 6cyl crv and when you are going up a steep hill or carrying a big load or need the acceleration you will appreciate having a v6.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,230,183 times
I really like the new Venza by Toyota.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/au.../14-venza.html

it's basically a station wagon, but they won't call it that. I gave up on American cars although I'm hanging onto my Ford PU. I use it for dump trips.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:15 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,192,114 times
I tend to like the Subaru Forester PZEV (Partially Zero Emission Vehicle)

Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM

63 posts, read 118,195 times
Good advice from other posters:

Subarus make excellent NH cars too.

Buy a certified used car that has good reliability ratings. It is a much better value compared to buying anything new when you factor in fast depreciation rates.

Another thing to think about: It looks like our economy is going to experience a major recession or minor depression. Any while oil prices are currently very low (while we go through what could be several years of deflation). At some point in the not too distant future 2-4 years, oil (and by default gas) prices are going to explode due to major amounts of production now going off line as oil at $40 a barrel deems them unprofitable.

If you are the type of buyer that rolls their car every few years, that won't be as much of a problem, but if you are a buy and hold owner, then consider you will likely be paying $4+ a gallon and determine if it makes sense to buy an auto that only gets 14-20 MPG.

We currently drive 2 Toyota's and would highly recommend both:

1- Toyota Prius, Can't speak highly enough it. Great reliability, good ride comfort, very low emissions and fantastic mileage 47-52 MPG depending on the season. (although I'm not sure how well it does in the snow-anyone else have any experience with this?)

2- Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Also love this truck. Reasonable ride comfort, fantastic reliability, low emissions (for a SUV), and good mileage at 28MPG real world average.
Upside to this truck: 4 wheel drive if needed, 3rd row seating (only suitable for kids though, not full sized adults) 3500lb towing capacity-you mentioned you might need this. Better for the environment (important consideration for us). Stable manufacturer, good chance both Chrysler and GM will end up declaring bankruptcy leaving warranty on vehicles unsure.
Downside: Cost, retail price is very high if buying new. Although, could cut a great deal on one of these now as car sales are VERY slow. (might also consider waiting a month or two as new government incentives for Hybrids could be forth coming)

If considering a Jeep the Consumer reports had this to say about the Jeep Wrangler Sahara "One of the worst vehicles we've tested in years".
Lowest test rating, "lacked punch, delivered dismal fuel economy, and had a stiff ride". I have no experience with this car, but they had very negative opinions about it.

Good luck in your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire