Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times

Advertisements

As DH and I continue our conversations about what kind of cars we might buy in the next 0-3 years to best fit our new NH lifestyle I'm wondering what YOUR next car would be if you had to buy one during that time frame, AND WHY?

Also, comments/experience with these particular vehicles welcome...

Honda Ridgeline
Extended Jeep Wrangler (the 4-door version) or Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ford Flex or Honda Pilot
Toyota Rav4

~ NDQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
If you are looking at a RAV 4, check out the Honda CRV. I have one and love it. I got it for the Real Time 4WD and it rocks in the snow (be sure to put on good snow tires). Gets pretty decent mileage too-I get anywhere between 22-26 mpg per tank depending on what type of driving I'm doing.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,901 times
I've not driven any of those vehicles so I can't comment, but the one feature I would definitely include on my next car (which is on my existing car) would be All-Wheel-Drive.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Buy American!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
As DH and I continue our conversations about what kind of cars we might buy in the next 0-3 years to best fit our new NH lifestyle I'm wondering what YOUR next car would be if you had to buy one during that time frame, AND WHY?

Also, comments/experience with these particular vehicles welcome... Honda Ridgeline
Extended Jeep Wrangler (the 4-door version) or Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ford Flex or Honda Pilot, Toyota Rav4, ~ NDQ
Ford makes the safest Trucks and most reliable. The Ford F150 & 250 is built around a very strong frame! My neighbor had a big ToyotaTundra and he was in a head on with a Ford 250. The ford 250 won where his Toyota Tundra was totaled.

These Toyota, Nisan and Honda Trucks are basically unibody construction even though the companies claim that they are on a solid frame, but the problem is that their definition of what is a steel cage and frame deviates greatly from the standards of American Truck makers!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Extended Jeep Wrangler.

My '99 (bought in '98) has almost 200k miles, many of which were HARD miles. It's been in the water, the dessert, and the ice/snow. It has never failed me when I needed it (including getting rear-ended while stopped for a light...the Izuzu Trooper was totaled...I need a new tailgate and my spare tire rim had a scratch). Some things of note:
- Manual Transmission is generally more reliable than an Automatic (an Auto has a given lifespan around 100k miles; a Manual will go 5x that with proper care, I replaced my clutch at 120k miles and still had about 2mm of material left...by my estimates good for another 40k miles at least).
- If there is an option to upgrade the axles, differentials, brakes, transfer case, etc...get it (again, the uprated versions are more durable...with a locking differential your spider gears, if it has them, take a lot less of a beating).
- Follow the maintenance schedule, flushing the transfer case/transmission/axles is not cheap...but that doesn't mean you can skip it.
- At your first fluid change...switch to full synthetics.
- Electrical gismos (power stuff like windows, locks, etc) will wear out...manual will not; its up to you what you want.
- Get the reasonably upgraded stereo, the car is not "quiet" with the soft top up and windows down.
- Part of the charm of the Wrangler is its quirkiness/personality/rough ride/noise...if its not a charm for you- look elsewhere.

That said- everyone I know who has owned a Wrangler and sold it, misses it (some have bought new ones as a result...one paid a premium to buy THEIR Wrangler back). It's a fantastic vehicle. That doesn't mean its for everyone, although 4 doors and improved comfort (without sacrificing capability) does help widen who its "ok" for.

The FJ is a piece of garbage... The old ones were neat, the new ones are very much like the Hummer H2, big...and they look like the "real" ones...but that's about it. I really wouldn't put it in the same category as the Wrangler (and I do like Toyota...so that has nothing to do with it); they designed it to capitalize on the same market as the H2...not my thing.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 PM

So what is your NH lifestyle? That will also tell you if the Jeep is your kind of vehicle or not.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
I'm expecting to get a Ford, GM, or Chrysler gas guzzler instead of a tax refund.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Oh...I also think Jeep is coming out with some electric drivetrains...I'd go with one of them for sure or the CRD if its an option by then.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
BF, the FJ and the Hummers are both being discontinued.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
BF, the FJ and the Hummers are both being discontinued.
Good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire