U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Thinking of moving to a small community in NH, tell me about apartments for rent, houses for sales, good schools and homes in general. Also I'll need a good realtor.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM

15 posts, read 16,004 times

Advertisements

I am a secondary certified mathematics instructor with a masters degree plus. I'm interested in moving from northeastern KY to the new england area for the benefit of my young son. He will be entering school in the next year and I can not with sound mind let him do it here. I am looking for a good location in the new england area where I would be able to find the following things:

1) a small community with access to some more semi urban environment... just somewhere where I could find a good indian resturaunt if i wanted, or where the closest mall wasnt a hour drive away

2) excellent schools where i could teach and send my child

3) a safe community... my husband works away alot and i do not want to have to be afraid. My husband works with the railroad and travels four days a week away from home.

4) reasonable rent/ home purchasing prices...I would prefer to rent when first relocating, but will be buying soon after.

I would welcome any suggestions in this matter...
thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM

66 posts, read 118,504 times
I recomend Southern NH. Derry is an affordable community with good schools. Londonderry is also nice - and a little more pricey than Derry, Auburn is a nice town that's close to Manchester and civilization - and you can likely get more land there than some of the other bedroom communities. The trick is to be close (15 minutes) to Manchester for the restaurants, mall, etc - and living in a smaller town has the plus of usaully being more secure. Manchester is a nice town - but currently in the middle of correcting some crime from the last several years. They have conquered it before and are well on the way of doing it again.

If there are more specifics that you are interested in then these forums have LOTS of details on a number of local towns if you scroll back a ways. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,988,333 times
I'm a big fan of Hollis, amazing schools. Open & safe...but Nashua (urban-ish) is only 5 minutes from my house; so its kind of the best of both worlds. Not much to rent here...but I highly suggest Bower's Landing in Merrimack for rental (we were very happy there for about a year, as are another couple we referred there while their home is getting built). It was a NICE place to rent and Merrimack isn't far from Nashua or Hollis...

Hollis is not inexpensive...but I have seen some reasonably priced homes for sale. It has a lot of farm stands, history, woods, horses, etc...great place. Also great services (police/fire/town clerks are AWESOME).

For the record- there is a GREAT Indian restaurant very close by and any shopping you could want is within 5-15 minutes (Home Depot/Food Store- 5 minutes...the Mall is about 15 away...and there is an array of stores scattered in between).

That's my 2 cents. We really researched southern NH before deciding to buy, we are VERY happy with our decision.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM

4,055 posts, read 7,793,814 times
One thing that I love about New Hampshire is the general feeling of being safe. I love being able to take the kids/dogs for a walk near midnight on a summer night, or just sit out in the yard alone and watch the stars. I'm in southern NH and while some will call it "Massachusetts North" I chose not to see it that way. I want to live in easy driving distance of conveniences such as the grocery store, and decided to live where there was already in place what I needed.

Many towns in southern & central NH might fit your needs, or possibly toward the seacoast (though the prices move up from there).

Here are a couple of links for you to follow, and hopefully get an idea of teaching in New Hampshire. I have more links to share, but unfortunately they are on my (currently not working) laptop. As soon as it's up and running I'll post the links here for you
NH Department of Education - About Us
NEANH : Administrative Utilities

For what it's worth, there are several towns in this area that are known for having good-excellent schools. They are (in no particular order) Londonderry, Derry, Bedford, Hollis, Amherst. All of these towns would be close enough to Nashua or Salem for shopping and malls, grocery stores, ethnic restaurants, etc.

A bit more rural, little more distant to malls, etc would be Exeter (SAU 16 with several towns, too tired to type them all right now and Oyster River (Lee, Madbury, Durham) Those are closer to the seacoast, so you would have the benefit of being closer to Portsmouth

I look forward to reading responses from others as well

Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 16,004 times
thanks all. one more fact to add..I have a basset hound who is my best buddy and i couldnt fathom moving without him. How receptive are rentals to pets there? here it is very difficult to find a nice rental property willing to accept pets....at least pets over 20 lbs. And how bad are the winters? I'm not opposed to shoveling, but I wouldnt want to be covered up six months of the year either.

also if anyone can give me some advice on job searches. i looked at the state department of ed website and its so confusing compared to ours. Isnt there anywhere online that you can do a general search for available positions?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmybasset View Post
thanks all. one more fact to add..I have a basset hound who is my best buddy and i couldnt fathom moving without him. How receptive are rentals to pets there? here it is very difficult to find a nice rental property willing to accept pets....at least pets over 20 lbs. And how bad are the winters? I'm not opposed to shoveling, but I wouldnt want to be covered up six months of the year either.

also if anyone can give me some advice on job searches. i looked at the state department of ed website and its so confusing compared to ours. Isnt there anywhere online that you can do a general search for available positions?
Are you taking apt rental? If so it is very hard to find places that accept pets and usually if you find one it is almost always cats. If you are talking renting a home-not sure. Last winter we had snow on the ground in my town and many other parts of NH from November until the end of April-almost May. So far, we are having a great deal of snow this winter like last year-which was a record breaker for all time snow for many towns. Since 2005, we have been non-stop precipitation record breakers with snow in the winter and rain/flood in the spring-summer-fall. How long will we be in this pattern? Who knows.

If you have a real concern about the winter, I suggest you visit here during the winter more than once and give it real thought. NH winters are not for everyone and can be long even for people who enjoy snow.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,825,643 times
I too am strongly considering a move to New Hampshire. What do you all think of the Littleton area? Is it too rural? I haven't been back in close to ten years but I just fell in love. And yes, I was there in the winter LOL! Take care!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,448,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I too am strongly considering a move to New Hampshire. What do you all think of the Littleton area? Is it too rural? I haven't been back in close to ten years but I just fell in love. And yes, I was there in the winter LOL! Take care!
Hi lilred - We're in Littleton - What do you consider "too rural"? If you are looking for somewhere with shopping malls, places open 24/7, etc., then yes, it will be too rural for you.

We do, however, have a Walmart, Shaw's, Staples, Home Depot, Lowe's, Movie Gallery, etc. on the "outskirts" of town, with many locally owned stores on Main Street and a food co-op which I believe is supposed to be up and running in the spring and the Opera House is undergoing renovations, not sure when that's supposed to be "fully functional."

Depending on what you do for a living, jobs are scarce (but that seems to be the way of many places now and not unique to this area). There are houses and apartments for rent that will accept dogs. Some are listed in the Caledonian Record, others through various realtors in town. Also, an interesting side note - one of the realtors is moving to a new location in February because they have outgrown their current location.....

Hope this helps - also, if you use the search function on the forum, and put in keyword Littleton, search the NH forum, you'll find a number of posts about the town...or at least you should

If I can be of further help, just give a yell - we're waiting for 12-24 inches of snow today (love how specific the forecasts are up here!)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 AM

4,055 posts, read 7,793,814 times
Honestly, it's difficult to find a pet-friendly rental, especially for large dogs. I appreciate your unwillingness to move without him--our dogs and cats are part of the family, and unless a move is an absolute necessity, I would never recommend leaving a loyal family member behind. It IS possible to find a rental that will accept your dog, especially if you have good references from where you currently rent, your veterinarian, and if you have things like obedience titles, Canine Good Citizen, etc. (things that show a pet owner is more responsible and involved with their pet than most). I was able to find a single family house rental half-way across the country with 2 adult German Shepherd Dogs because of the ridiculous amount of time I spent in socializing them, putting titles on them, and finding activities to do with them (this was in the pre-real estate part of my life!)

I'm more concerned with YOUR concern about the weather. Here in New Hampshire, we get snow--lots of it, and for months at a time (mid-November right through to April). As Nicolem mentioned, we've been breaking records around here these past few years, and if you don't want to be covered up 6 months of the year, you might consider southern New England instead. Connecticut, Rhode Island and the southern areas of Massachusetts might be somewhat shorter of a winter. Winter does get to be a drag by the middle of February (usually our snowiest month!) when you've been shoveling since early December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmybasset View Post
How receptive are rentals to pets there? here it is very difficult to find a nice rental property willing to accept pets....at least pets over 20 lbs. And how bad are the winters? I'm not opposed to shoveling, but I wouldnt want to be covered up six months of the year either.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,019,837 times
Quote:
And how bad are the winters? I'm not opposed to shoveling, but I wouldnt want to be covered up six months of the year either.
NH might not be the state for you.... depending on the year, winter can start in Nov and last until April or sometimes even May. the last couple of years even southern NH has been getting snow every few days. You don't have to like winter to live in NH (but it helps), though you do have to accept that there can be a lot of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire