Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM

139 posts, read 351,542 times

Advertisements

after spending a few hours yesterday clearing snow off the roof, i was wondering if it was necessary and had a few questions. does the age of the house affect if you should do it. has anyone on the forum experienced a roof collape- do you know what factors contributed to the collapse. any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM

259 posts, read 988,414 times
Default Roof Raking is most useful to prevent ice backing up under shingles

Raking your roof this year is a good idea to prevent ice from backing up under the shingles as freeze + thaw cycles. Most of the snow we've had this year seems to be fairly dry/ vs. the wet heavy snow, although a good warm spell with rain could weigh it down some. the dry 'cold' weather snow could easily become dangerous for roof collapses. the ice dam problem has more to how your attic is insulated. If heat from the house is allowed to melt snow higher up the roof it will create the dams at the usually colder lower edges of your roof making dams. To fight the dams, concentrate on the bottom 2 feet or so. Yet another reason why metal roofs are a good investment. Ice dams are nearly impossible for metal roofs to hold the dams, given their smooth surface and ability to pass thermal energy to break the ice dam bond.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If you want to ice proof a metal roof or a shingle roof with a strip of metal at the eve take some "Rain-x" and wax the metal. Ice will not stick.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
I lived in Derry for 22 years and in that time, I had a problem only once. Before that time, I never raked the roof. The split-level house was built in 74 . It had a fairly wide roof with a low pitch. However, I first realized I had a problem when I struggled to open the sliding glass door onto the deck. It stuck. That was weird.

So I went outside and around the house to see what, exactly, was the problem? The snow had drifted across the roof and against the wide chimney on the end. There must have been 6 feet of snow piled up over the dining room...holy moley!!!!

Needless to say, I spent the rest of the morning shoveling and made sure to keep an eye on it in the future.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM

176 posts, read 1,146,736 times
I roof rake my outbuildings only. They aren't heated so the snow just piles up. My inefficient house seems to take care of the snow on the roof.
I guess that's why I spend over 3k a year to heat the place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire