U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,799,998 times

Advertisements

We're more than likely moving to NH, and I have two questions.

1. Emissions. How often does it need to be done, how much does it cost, and where does one go to get the emissions checked?

2. Business Profit Tax (BPT). Simple question. Is the 8.5% tax on gross sales, or net income? I've seen both mentioned in Google searches.

Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,303,002 times
my understanding is the business profits tax in on the NET income...this link may provide info for you:
Starting and Operating a Business in New Hampshire (http://www.roninsoft.com/states/nh.htm - broken link)

NH does not do emissions testing anymore, not since 2005. There were always garages that weren't required to, if they did less than 200 inspections per year. For awhile, it was only the golden triangle where emissions were required.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
my understanding is the business profits tax in on the NET income...this link may provide info for you:
Starting and Operating a Business in New Hampshire (http://www.roninsoft.com/states/nh.htm - broken link)

NH does not do emissions testing anymore, not since 2005. There were always garages that weren't required to, if they did less than 200 inspections per year. For awhile, it was only the golden triangle where emissions were required.

Is there any inspections then? Maybe I was mistaken, or NH.gov doesn't upgrade their website, but I could've sworn I saw one or the other.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM

an annual inspection is required at the time of registration. It is done in the birth month of the registered owner. The costs vary by the garage. The least expensive I've seen is $25.00, but they range up to $50 for an inspection.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,965,828 times
Actually they do test for emissions. For any car made after 1996 the test includes hooking the car up to the OBD port and checking. If your car is out of spec, you fail. If your check engine light is on, it is a sure sign of failure. Often it is a faulty O2 sensor. Other times it is a faulty catalytic convertor.
Cars older than 1996 do not have OBD, so there is no emissions test; not probe in the exhaust type of test.
More info: New Hampshire Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, NH Smog Testing Stations - DMV.ORG

Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM

3,859 posts, read 6,994,223 times
Yes-our cars are newer and were both tested for emmissions during the most recent inspections. You even get some print out and they tell you to keep it with your registration.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM

I used to have to get emissions when I lived in Derry and it was done by testing through the tail pipe. Nowadays, they have an onboard diagnostic test. I have not gotten one since I moved north as it was not required. I'm back to $25 dollar inspection costs vs. $50. in Derry.

My newest car is a 2004 and from all the internet research I've done today, it appears that new cars are not tested at all until they are at least 5 years old. That might explain why mine doesn't get emissions testing YET.

cars that are 20 years old or older are not required to pass emissions tests.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM

2,145 posts, read 2,965,828 times
Maybe it is different across the state, but here in the south, there is no emission testing for any car older than 1996. The only testing they have is OBD-II and that is only on 1996 and newer car.

The DMV site: Emissions Program for Passenger Cars & Light Duty Trucks - Division of Motor Vehicles, NH DOS (http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/emissions/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,116,691 times
ok, from the sound of all the responses, emissions testing (if you have a newer car that requires it) is done as part of your yearly inspection that you need to do to keep your registration sticker.

I know some states do them separately. Sounds like CO is like MD: every 4 years you get a thing in the mail that tells you go to go a special emissions testing station and have them take your money and give you a paper that says n/a (can ya tell I'm cynical about it?), while registration is strictly a mail thing and we don't have an annual inspection.

Can't answer a thing about the business tax.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
ok, from the sound of all the responses, emissions testing (if you have a newer car that requires it) is done as part of your yearly inspection that you need to do to keep your registration sticker.

I know some states do them separately. Sounds like CO is like MD: every 4 years you get a thing in the mail that tells you go to go a special emissions testing station and have them take your money and give you a paper that says n/a (can ya tell I'm cynical about it?), while registration is strictly a mail thing and we don't have an annual inspection.

Can't answer a thing about the business tax.
There are no emissions nor safety inspections here in Colorado, thank god.

What a revenue generating racket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire