Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,526,759 times

Advertisements

One of the things I regret is not having any pics of the Old Carasole ballroom, Bedford drive in, Sky Ray drive in, etc. You know, all the stuff that disappeared from New Hamshires landscape. Any of you out there got some photos of things past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,100,666 times
no pics...but I know what you mean. I loved the Bedford drive-in. I remember once seeing a meteor that I swore to my parents must have landed right behind the screen. I never danced at the Carousel, but I rollerskated there for coke bottle caps instead of cash.

The Sky Ray was fun and the $5.00 for carload nights would bring in a crowd. Wal-Mart just doesn't have the same appeal. LOL Is the old Indian totem pole still behind the Indian Cliff store? Is the store still there? The old guy that owned it was determined to keep it from being sold for condos.

I also swam in Nuts pond and enjoyed weekend fireworks at Pine Island park over by the airport.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:22 PM

680 posts, read 2,430,767 times
This is not my photo but it's something that's gone forever and that I'm sorry my kids and husband will never get to see:

http://mutha.com/oldmanmountain.jpg

Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
<sniff> I still keep wanting to put a black circle around my t-shirt pic of him.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,526,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
This is not my photo but it's something that's gone forever and that I'm sorry my kids and husband will never get to see:

http://mutha.com/oldmanmountain.jpg
I don't think non New Hampshirites really understand what it means to have lost him.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
yeah.

it was also the final straw for when I let my subscription to Yankee magazine go... the best they could do was to give 1 page to an article about him! then they went on with the rest of their recipes. I was appalled.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,889,979 times
It's said that you never forget where you were when you heard about certain historical events happening. I'm too young to remember the assassination of JFK or the first moon walk (not Michael Jackson's...) but some of the things that are with me forever are the Challenger Disaster (with Crista McCauliffe, our "Teacher in Space"), 9/11, and that Sunday morning in May when we learned that NH's Old Man was gone....

These things are some of what we will share with our kids as they grow... as our parents probably shared stories of their own that our kids will read about in history books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I don't think non New Hampshirites really understand what it means to have lost him.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 PM

72 posts, read 132,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
LOL Is the old Indian totem pole still behind the Indian Cliff store? Is the store still there? The old guy that owned it was determined to keep it from being sold for condos.
Indian Cliff is still there!
Chock full of stuff, cabins and all - For Sale.
As a kid (mid 70's), I decided that I would stay there some day.
I also wanted to stay at the Dolly Dimple and the Kozy 7.
My wild imagination never accounted for actually living here...

Upon checking, the Kozy 7 is still in business - Hello St. Valentine's Day.
;~)

Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM

72 posts, read 132,583 times
p.s.
I wouldn't consider myself an old timer but swimming at that beautiful spot in Short Falls was my every summer. I'm just glad my son got to splash around a few times before the floods rendered it off limits. There's nothing like like cool river water laping at you all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire