U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,567 times

Advertisements

This may sound like an outrageous question, but I am serious. Me and My family currently live in North Texas near the Oklahoma border and can no longer take the "less than intelligent" approach to life. I mean---c'mon! The service and courtesy level is very subpar. Nobody seems to be interested in customer service or washing their hair or cleaning the dirt from under their fingernails before they serve you food. It is ridiculous. I am not trying to be some haughty totty up-nose snoot. But, please wash your hair and hands before you go to work , ESPECIALLY at a restaurant.

So, my question is. Are people in New Hampshire intelligent, courteous and hygienic? or, are they somewhat dim, unhygienic and not in any sort of a hurry like they are here near Oklahoma?

I am not trying to be rude. That is just the way it is here. Call a spade a spade.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,497,250 times
Us peeple in the nothern part of new hampster take a bath at least once a munth and cleen us eers and teeth and hare and nales at the same time, so we iz reely cleen. We ain't dim. We got us them new-fangled lite bulb things 2! We even got us them indoor terlits 2!

Seriously - People we've come in contact with are clean, courteous and hygienic.... perhaps not to the point of Monk in the television show, but not a bunch of slovenly back-woods, creatures that would remind you of Big Foot. People are well educated and converse on many levels, from the mundane to the esoteric.

(I just couldn't resist the first paragraph - sorry)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM

877 posts, read 1,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozarth View Post
This may sound like an outrageous question, but I am serious. Me and My family currently live in North Texas near the Oklahoma border and can no longer take the "less than intelligent" approach to life. I mean---c'mon! The service and courtesy level is very subpar. Nobody seems to be interested in customer service or washing their hair or cleaning the dirt from under their fingernails before they serve you food. It is ridiculous. I am not trying to be some haughty totty up-nose snoot. But, please wash your hair and hands before you go to work , ESPECIALLY at a restaurant.

So, my question is. Are people in New Hampshire intelligent, courteous and hygienic? or, are they somewhat dim, unhygienic and not in any sort of a hurry like they are here near Oklahoma?

I am not trying to be rude. That is just the way it is here. Call a spade a spade.
Goodness - where are you eating?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,031,894 times
I think you will find that New England is very different from the southern Midwest; while I won't speak to those traits specifically because I don't know OK very well- I would say most people are intelligent, clean, and helpful in NH and New England in general. Perhaps slower to warm up to new folks (as in meeting new neighbors) but not some weird "you're not from around here" disturbing anything.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,344,829 times
depending on the part of new hampshire you're talking about, Most of southern new hampshire is just another suburb of Boston, the urban sprawl caused lots of massachusetts residence to move north. But I think it has changed the state alot. It seems the mass people try to force new hampshire into becoming what they left and they are winning. Use to be all republican now the north is republican south is democrat but because that's where the population is the state goes democrat in fact nashua and manchester mostly decide everything in this state. There are still lots of rural areas that you question whether you should eat at. I also think north of concord people are more in tune with their community but don't follow much about what's going on in the outside world. but I've only lived here for 11 years and yes I moved from massachusetts

Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM

259 posts, read 650,826 times
Most everybody bathes before the Saturday ham
& bean supper, just in case they should get lucky! Its a great place to strike up a friendship. Of course that ritual is confined to those with inside running water in winter. Outhouse people tend to need a good scrape down by March[until swimming season starts. a bath is mighty cold in the horse trough!We might be rural in places, but we are not vagabonds!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM

369 posts, read 546,287 times
I've always treated people the way I'd prefer them to treat me.

Iffin' they don't I just give back what I gets.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM

261 posts, read 601,943 times
Lamar County area huh?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 AM

33,804 posts, read 29,233,166 times
Most are civilized and some are not. Just like anywhere else.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,994,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
depending on the part of new hampshire you're talking about, Most of southern new hampshire is just another suburb of Boston, the urban sprawl caused lots of massachusetts residence to move north. But I think it has changed the state alot. It seems the mass people try to force new hampshire into becoming what they left and they are winning. Use to be all republican now the north is republican south is democrat but because that's where the population is the state goes democrat in fact nashua and manchester mostly decide everything in this state. There are still lots of rural areas that you question whether you should eat at. I also think north of concord people are more in tune with their community but don't follow much about what's going on in the outside world. but I've only lived here for 11 years and yes I moved from massachusetts

Here we go again. People north of Concord do in fact follow what is going on in the outside world-how can you make such a blanket statement like that? They also fly in planes and bathe and some have actually attended college and know how to read and write. I live in Belknap county and in fact, while volunteering for political campaigns , I came across very informed people. I also came across people that don't care/don't know. Just like elsewhere, there are people north of Concord who keep themselves informed and some who do not. My husband works on the seacoast, in a very large office. There is a mix there and guess what? Some of the people there know what is going on and some do not. Same thing when I lived in Concord, Nashua and NJ.

There are plenty of people all over the country who are more informed about American Idol and similar brain dead shows than they are informed about the really important things that are happening in this country. The places north of Concord are no different than other places in this country-some people are informed about the important things and some are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire