Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 17,777 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to New Hampshire in the next few months. We are a white family currently living in Texas and we are growing increasingly tired of the growing illegal problem here and the push to promote Spanish speaking in the towns and schools. We are not racist, but we would like to move to an area with conservative values and where English is the language spoken. We are looking for an upstanding school--predominately white/without gangs/without illegal aliens--in the Nashua area. Is that possible in Nashua? If not, what town in New Hampshire would best fit into what we are looking for? We would not want to be in a town that was too small--we would like to have options when it comes to shopping and activities for our kids. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
I suggest you search some of the prior posts about Nashua on this forum. I also suggest you prepare yourself for nasty posts and dms. Anytime I dare bring up the growing illegal alien population- I receive the normal labels of xenophobe, etc. simply because I want borders secured and ALL those here ILLEGALLY to go home. I also want to tell you that people will make comments that it is "no where near as bad as Texas here". Just remember the problems have to start sometime and they never improve. We had a rep in the state house try and introduce a bill making NH a sanctuary state. Luckily Tom Tancredo was here and gave it a lot of publicity and it failed. They are trying to bring it up again this year. In the past 10 years there has been an increase of illegal aliens in NH. The media is not very forthcoming with this information but if you search and look you will see what I am talking about.

BTW-the current mayor of Nashua campaigned using Spanish flyers.

Feel free to DM me with any questions you have.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times
you sound exactly like me!!! that is the exact reason i am leaving texas. i have to wait until 2011 though. i am a teacher here in texas and our principal actually told us on day one this year to spend more time teaching the minority kids than the white kids because the white kids will eventually get it anyway. can i ask where in texas you live? good luck with your move. i am jealous that you get to do it so soon.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply NICHOLEM! Do you have any suggestions of towns in NH that might fit into what we are looking for?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM

Booker_one--we are in north Texas--about 15 miles from the OK border. Where in Texas are you from?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times
the houston area. i don't know which one of us is worse off as far as the non english speaking people goes. it is getting out of control here.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
I understand your problems! Living right near DC (especially Prince George's County) finding people who speak English, even understandable English, is almost rare.

Have you looked at Hollis? It's rated the top (or one of the top) schools in the state - the music program (if you like that) is really fabulous. It's right next door to Nashua, so shopping is easy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozarth View Post
Thanks for the reply NICHOLEM! Do you have any suggestions of towns in NH that might fit into what we are looking for?
I sent you a DM.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Hi abozarth. As a realtor, I'm not allowed to 'steer' anyone toward or away from a particular location in regard to any of the protected categories such as race, religion, etc. This would be a federal offense for me. However, I'm sure that there will be several of the city data regulars who can answer your questions.

What I would suggest you do is take a look at the city-data data sheets for the city of Nashua: http://www.city-data.com/city/Nashua-New-Hampshire.html and do the same for any of the towns that are suggested here.

There are a number of towns that have highly rated school systems that are still convenient to Nashua and all of the shopping, restaurants, etc. These towns include Merrimack (great recreation deptartment!) Hollis, Amherst & Bedford. If you don't mind crossing the river to Nashua, you could also consider the towns of Hudson, Litchfield & Londonderry. There are plenty of towns that may work well for your family......

Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
abozarth-
After spending some time in the southwest this past summer I can assure you that pretty much no-where in NH is comparable in the least. While Nashua & Manchester (2nd and 1st largest cities in NH- but small by Dallas/Houston standards) do have significantly more non-english speakers than the rest of the state I think you will find the overall percentage is low (specifically regarding those here illegally). I think a lot of this is for 3 reasons:
1) Climate
2) Jobs (not a lot of "migrant labor" positions)
3) Location (further from "home")

Essentially the same reason Boston has so many fewer illegal aliens then, say, Washington DC- its just not very conducive to their existance.

In short- New England in general will probably be total culture shock; even in the more diverse areas.

That said, as you move away from the major population centers the illegal alien population is probably darn near 0.

One warning though- since we are bordered by a Canadian Province that largely speaks French- there are plenty of signs (particularly in northern NH) that are in French as well or in metric units. Not sure if this bothers you? We have a lot of visitors from our north who come visit our fine state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire