Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Well, they weren't alone.

We moved here from Ireland - which along-side Spain has had the biggest property bust in Europe. Those are the two countries held up as shining examples of how it can go so spectacularly wrong.

What truly fascinated me was the rampant belief that it could go on forever. As far back as 05, I used to look around me and say, "Lads, it'll end in tears." I was considered a party-pooper. I'm no economist and still have to reread paragraphs about hedge funds twice to get them to make any sense, but common sense dictates that when the cost of housing is so totally and completely out of whack with income (not to mention has no basis in reality), something HAS to give.

Common sense or talented bankers... which is the biggest oxymoron in the English language?!
Good old fashioned greed.......it's human nature. We had a sort of toxic brew between government, business, and a willing public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
There is a very fine line between finance and gambling. The world has been on the gambling side. Now the losses are being tallied and it is not pretty.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
One thing I think may actually have a stimulative effect is if the provision for allowing current responsible homeowners to refinance at current rates up to 105% LTV with no PMI with low refinancing fees actually comes out that way (which I am doubtful of). From what I've read THAT specific provision is targeted mainly at allowing well-qualified folks who purchased recently to refinance at the lower rate without PMI, even if they have less than 20% equity (which they may have even if they were smart and saved up 20% initially).

I did the math on this and in the case of a $400k home purchased within the past year (at close to 6% interest with over 80% LTV) it will free up something in the neighborhood of $400-$500/month.

What's interesting is this is no cost to the government for responsible buyers (which given what I saw for screening criteria- is who it targets to help)...but what it DOES do is free up a good deal of cash that can be re-injected into the economy.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

Almost forgot the point of my story above... If executed correctly- I could see such a thing actually helping the country recover from this recession.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM

21 posts, read 134,576 times
As a long time renter, I plan to buy sometime this year. With the new $8000 tax refund if you buy this year as long as you haven't owned a home for 3 years makes it even sweeter.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 AM

I think that $8k credit is going to be a fairly decent motivator. It would have been better at $15k as originally planned though.

As much as I dislike the idea of a handout like that, from an economics perspective for everyone home purchased WAY more than $15k will get pumped back into the economy.

Again though, the devil is in the details- this assumes the buyer is responsible...and while you can do as many background/income/credit checks as you want- there is no real way to guarantee that (although no more reduced-paperwork loans is a start).

Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,088,708 times
oh no , we have a couple more turning optimistic on the outlook of housing can a trend be started right here?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't go that far. There are simply too many factors in play in the entire economic situation for me to be optimistic yet. Right now we're still in a downward spiral or at best bouncing along the bottom. I think that these two efforts IF (huge IF) implemented will have a positive impact/are worthwhile...but even saving someone $500/month isn't valuable if their unemployed.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM

148 posts, read 389,147 times
Can someone tell me what the deal is with closing costs? As real estate costs went up and up closing costs seemed to soar too. Now you don't have to just save for the down payment on the house but also the HIGH closing costs. Why so darn high??

Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM

I think a large portion of closing costs are a "percentage" of the selling price...so that could explain part of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire