Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 PM

11 posts, read 84,481 times

Advertisements

Hello Nashua residents,

I posted this in General(City vs City) forum, but I thought, my questions might get more attention from New Hampshie specific forum, hence posting it again here...

We are a family of 3 (Me, my wife, 4 yrs old daughter) currently living in San Francisco Bay Area (specifically Foster City, San Mateo county) -- After living in this bay area for 3.5 years, I am feeling this place is no longer an attractive place and I can never call it home. Everything is so expensive in California.

I work in Software (Oracle Applications domain) as full time employee, I am the sole bread winner earning 6 digits salary. Now, I have an option to move & work from almost anywhere in the US (for the same company). After thorough research(considering our personal preferences) we have shortlisted 2 places i.e,

1) Bellevue/Seattle area - Washington state
2) New Hampshire (Nashua)

Here are our personal preferences in the order of highest to lowest priority:

-- Good public schools (from elementary through high school)
-- Job Opportunities in Software (Oracle Applications Domain)
-- Weather (except unbearable heat & humid, anything is fine)
-- Nice People
-- Reasonably low cost of living
-- Relatively cheaper rents
-- Relatively cheaper housing
-- Nice commutes
-- Outdoor activities & visiting places

Both places that I have shortlisted have NO state income tax which is a big plus for me, and I have fallen in love with the picturesque greenery that's out there in Bellevue/Seattle area but the rain/drizzling is little concerning, on the other side, Snow & long winters in New Hampshire are also concerning. The pros & cons of these 2 places are almost equally weighing hence we are in a dilemma to make a decision.

Does Nashua get a lot of humidity (I hate sweating) ?
Does the heavy snow & minus degree winters disturb day to day life ?

Could someone who has knowledge on both Seattle area(WA) & Nashua(NH) please guide me on what you think would be the best ?

Please note, cheaper housing is one of the top priorities.

With may thanks,
Srini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I suggest staying where you are for a couple of years and spend the time to take a summer and winter vacation (or temporary assignment) in each city. In Nashua or the immediate area you would be just another IT tech making a six figure salary. There are a lot of them around here looking for work so be certain your move is corporately correct. Finding another job would be difficult.

New Hampshire has indeed five seasons: Summers are mostly warm with a few, at most, weeks of hot spells, Fall is great, Winter starts in mid December and is still with us and Spring follows mud season. We have snow in winter and most of the Rain in spring. I think the rhyme - March winds bring April showers, bring may flowers was written for southern New Hampshire.

Read this board for more info on area housing prices. We did not have the unsustainable run up in housing development and prices typical of California. There are likely to be many houses in the 300-600 k$ range as well as a bunch lower prices and some McMansions. ValerieC on this board would be a good reference.

Keep in touch and enjoy your search.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
you said you have the opportunity to move anywhere and work for the same company, you also said nice commutes. So.. where do you need to commute to? That can have an impact on where in NH.

People are actually very nice in NH, the scenery is lovely, and a short drive will take you to all aspects (except desert) of just about anything, so there is also nice variety. There are a number of great schools in southern NH and some very nice towns that go with them, with your income, you shouldn't have any trouble affording any of them (although Southern NH is more expensive than Northern)

I have visited the Seattle area, and we really enjoyed it. We actually considered it as a place to move to (other than NH), until we learned one thing, and then DH crossed it off our list. One thing that people just seem to want to ignore...... Mt Ranier. After talking with some rangers, Mt Ranier is so internally decayed from an underground river, that all it would take is a moderately small earthquake that hits it just right to blow like St Helens - and they already know that the flow direction will take out Seattle and Tacoma. Sure, hasn't happened yet. St Helens hadn't either. Then it did. If Mt Ranier is ready at any time.... NH is a bit more stable than that. DH lost interest, even thought Seattle was a very lovely city to live outside of.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 AM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
We moved from the SF Bay area as well.

Only you can say what weather you prefer. It certainly can be hot and humid in the summer, and the winters are cold and snowy. You have to decide what you can live with. I like having four real seasons, so I infinitely prefer this climate to SF or the Valley. My husband finds it freezing!

I have been to Seattle but not Bellevue. I think housing is probably WAY cheaper here than anywhere on the West Coast, and the schools in Hollis, Amherst and Bedford are all very good and would be easy commutes from Nashua.

The biggest differences between the SF Bay Area, Seattle Area and Nashua are likely to be cultural so again, you have to decide what you're comfortable with. The demographics are different & people here are more conservative. I would definitely visit before making any decisions. However I can say that I feel lucky every day to be here and not in CA any more!

Also, have you considered Austin? It's a lot cheaper than the Bay Area (and getting cheaper every day) and there are TONS of software opportunities there. It's very similar to the Valley in culture. We have a lot of friends who work in tech and ended up there when they got priced out of the Valley, but it wasn't for me...

Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post

Also, have you considered Austin?
If you mean Austin, TX - the OP said no unbearable heat & humidity. Austin has plenty of both.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Tax burden by state:
CA: #6 most expensive
WA: #35
NH: #46
The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977-2008

There is more than income tax to consider: sales tax, capital gains tax, etc.

If you go to Salary.com, you can check the relative costs of living. Someone making 150,000 in the Seattle area would need 130,721 in the Nashua area.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 84,481 times
Yes, I hate unberable heat & humidity. Infact TX was first on my list last year (before I knew that it gets too hot and humid over there). Now, TX is completely off my list.

As GregW & NH2008 mentioned, I am getting attracted by the fact that NH has 4 or 5 seasons and indeed I received this feedback from many people(some I read on this forum in other threads), looks like NH people enjoy 4 solid seasons than any other people.

-- However, when I think of extreme cold & snow I am taking a step back. Infact, I like cold than warm or hot temperatures, but not sure how much bearable the NH winters will be. I guess this has to be experienced and the tolerance/adjustment to any kind of weather varies from person to person.

BTW, Could someone please compare the NH winters(southern Nashua) with that of New Jersy (or) New York winters ? That will help me get a fair idea about NH winters. I have never lived in any of these places, but have solid opinion about NJ / NY winters.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skasam View Post
Yes, I hate unberable heat & humidity. Infact TX was first on my list last year (before I knew that it gets too hot and humid over there). Now, TX is completely off my list.

As GregW & NH2008 mentioned, I am getting attracted by the fact that NH has 4 or 5 seasons and indeed I received this feedback from many people(some I read on this forum in other threads), looks like NH people enjoy 4 solid seasons than any other people.

-- However, when I think of extreme cold & snow I am taking a step back. Infact, I like cold than warm or hot temperatures, but not sure how much bearable the NH winters will be. I guess this has to be experienced and the tolerance/adjustment to any kind of weather varies from person to person.

BTW, Could someone please compare the NH winters(southern Nashua) with that of New Jersy (or) New York winters ? That will help me get a fair idea about NH winters. I have never lived in any of these places, but have solid opinion about NJ / NY winters.
NH winters are much much much longer than NJ winters. Much more dark and cloudy. I have lived here over 10 years after living in NJ for the first 30 years of my life. My husband and I absolutely loved winter when we first moved here-now we are getting sick of it. The weather-among other things-are making us consider moving back home to NJ or maybe PA.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
NH is much better in the winter than NJ or NY if you get into a few winter sports. Skiing, snowshoeing etc. If not, then NH, NJ and NY are all going to be lousy. Might as well live in the south, someplace like NC.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
If you mean Austin, TX - the OP said no unbearable heat & humidity. Austin has plenty of both.
Sorry, you're right - I totally spaced on that part, was just thinking how similar the two towns are.

Winter in even southern NH is significantly colder than NY and NJ and it lasts longer. You have to enjoy snow and be willing to bundle up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire