Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM

53 posts, read 130,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]

Then perhaps it should be a privately run charity where the funds can come from people like you, Kathy Sgambati and Gov Lynch, who support it. Health care is not a right and tax dollars should not be used for health care for anyone. Anyone who supports Healthy Kids and programs like it can take their OWN money and donate to it. The rest of us should not have to pay for things that are not provided for in the constitution. We should have bare bones state and federal government, people will keep more of their OWN money and choose what to do with it instead of having it stolen to pay for other peoples homes, health care, kids, food etc.
Sure. And those of you who don't believe that the epileptic child should have medication should fund the full-time classroom aide for that child.

Oh wait -- I guess education isn't a right, either, so you will be homeschooling your children. Roads aren't a right, either, so you'll not be using those either, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Sure. And those of you who don't believe that the epileptic child should have medication should fund the full-time classroom aide for that child.

Oh wait -- I guess education isn't a right, either, so you will be homeschooling your children. Roads aren't a right, either, so you'll not be using those either, I suppose.
Education is a totally different matter-that should be up to individual towns. It should be funded only on the local level-that way it is up to the individual town to decide. That way I as a voter can vote what I deem is important and how I want my monies spent. I also can vote with my feet and move to a town that is more in line with the money spent and the educational philosophy.

Actually as far as the federal level, roads and defense are about the only thing that I believe our tax dollars should be going for-maybe a few other things. Certainly not paying for other peoples food, homes, medical, lifestyle, pork programs, etc.

Last edited by nicolem; 03-13-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM

So no one but myself and Sgthoskins are bothered at all that another government entitlement program is growing and expanding? Heathy Kids will now be expanded to age 26 and for those kids making up to 43,000. I am sorry but a 20 year old making 43,000 with no dependents is not "poor". More than likely they are living at home, with few expenses and should be able to afford a no-frills policy if one is not offered at work. If not they should get another job or a second job-but we cannot have them do that, could we? It is easier to have others pay then to take charge of your own life.

This is an expansion of tax and spend nanny state mentality. As I said before, this will be expanded and expanded until it is universal healthcare and by then the "poor" will be getting it for free and the "rich" will be paying for it all and the benefits will be terrible.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
So no one but myself and Sgthoskins are bothered at all that another government entitlement program is growing and expanding? Heathy Kids will now be expanded to age 26 and for those kids making up to 43,000. I am sorry but a 20 year old making 43,000 with no dependents is not "poor". More than likely they are living at home, with few expenses and should be able to afford a no-frills policy if one is not offered at work.

This is an expansion of tax and spend nanny state mentality. As I said before, this will be expanded and expanded until it is universal healthcare and by then the "poor" will be getting it for free and the "rich" will be paying for it all and the benefits will be terrible.
Count me as #3 on this bandwagon Nicole. I don't normally chime in on this forum, but you and Sgthoskins are right on. This Healthy Kids program is an absolute disgrace. The ultimate goal here is a microcosm of the 'endgame': lower the ceiling while simultaneously raising the floor. Social engineering to achieve financial equality of results. But it won't work, because contrary to this political philosophy, we were not all created equal. Some have more drive, brains and ambition that others do. I'll repeat what I've stated in other forums: if the federal and state governments were able to confiscate everyone's money, and throw it into a pot, (and believe me, they'd love to be able to circa 2009), redistributed it equally amongst everyone, within 6 months, the people who have had a history of poor decision making, poor work habits, poor discipline, will have pissed their money away. In contrast, those who have exhibited frugality, and a strong work ethic, will have reacquired much of what was confiscated from them.

Healthy Kids, WIC, Head Start, Section 8, Medicaid are all benign euphemisms that have rosy titles affixed to them, but they are in reality Uncle Sam showing up every two weeks to your employers office with a gun and a ski mask, like the mafia, and they want their 'cut', to fund this crap. The origins of all these programs go back to politicians that had in mine not the best interests of their constituencies, but rather, their own future electability, and those yet to be born politicians that would soon espouse their philosophy. The goal is simple: remove over 50% of the population from paying any meaningful taxation. That way, any future tax increases on the remainder of us will not impact these lamb chops, thus securing a permanent electorate. And as we stand in this country right now, in 2009, these people are very, very close to their goal.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 AM

263 posts, read 859,278 times
You obviously have your opinion and I have mine. We live different lives and have different ideas of what it means to be a responsible parent. You chose career first. Great for you. If it works for you doing it that way, then good! That's not the path I chose, but it doesn't mean the path I DID choose is not the "right" one.
My once-thriving business that went under paid me very well and I paid just as much tax as you. You may think I didn't make the right choices. Well, that's your opinion also. But my choice right now is to accept some of the help offered and make sure that my son can be properly taken care of if needed because I PAID INTO THE SYSTEM FOR IT! Just as you pay into the system. I hope to God you never find yourself in NEED of help!! But if you did ever truly need help and not just a hand-out, I would be ok with that. Everyone needs help now and then. EVERYONE! And you are not the only one that pays taxes. Like I said, I always pay mine.
I totally agree with you that there are lots of people out there that take total advantage of what is offered by the government. I don't dispute that. My only problem was that you threw everyone that takes some help (whether they truly need it or not) into the same category and I FELT that was unfair.
By the way, I DO work FULL time caring for other people's children so THEY can go tend to their careers. I happen to not have any children with me today, but I normally do have 2 kids full-time and I love what I do and do a very fine job at it!
I will never teach my own child or the chldren in my care to put down anyone that is having a hard time or that's down on their luck. This wonderful Earth we live on is made up of many types of people, all deserving of a chance in life, some compassion, respect and thoughtfulness. I understand you wanting to "vent" if you are angry, but you must also understand that I too am entitled to my opinion and to voice it here just as you are. I respect your views and opinions of me and the way I have to live at the moment, please be respectful of mine also.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:56 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
I have to disagree- there is a need for some level of government run social services.

Look back at the turn of the last century- being severly disabled, retarded, or a child on their own after the death of parents- it was unreal there options were prisons, workhouses, and mental wards. Look to some third world countries now to see what comes out of that in todays world.

Those who truly cannot help themselves- do deserve help by "we the people".
In an ideal world- "we the people" would voluntarily step up. Unfortunately history has demonstrated that it doesn't happen.

The hard part is drawing the line, enforcing the regulations, and managing it in an efficient way. Obviously 26 & making $40k/year is not the best place for that line...but that's not the point I'm addressing.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
In an ideal world- "we the people" would voluntarily step up. Unfortunately history has demonstrated that it doesn't happen.
That isn't what happens with these programs and you know it. They are abused from top to bottom. Most conservatives agree we need some of them, but there has to be some sort of accountability. SOMETHING! There is absolutely none.

They won't even drug test those on welfare..... Why bother right? They deserve FREE MONEY...

Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I have to disagree- there is a need for some level of government run social services.

Look back at the turn of the last century- being severly disabled, retarded, or a child on their own after the death of parents- it was unreal there options were prisons, workhouses, and mental wards. Look to some third world countries now to see what comes out of that in todays world.

The hard part is drawing the line, enforcing the regulations, and managing it in an efficient way. Obviously 26 & making $40k/year is not the best place for that line...but that's not the point I'm addressing.
Then people like you, who feel these are necessary, can donate YOUR time and YOUR $$ to private run charities. These should not be government run,supported via stolen tax dollars. You should be free to use your $$ to support those programs you deem worthy and I should be free to use MY money to support programs that I deem worthy.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
The program should not be expanded up to age 26 for those making 40K+. That I can definitely agree with nicolem. In these tough fiscal times we can not keep expanding programs when we have a big budget defecit.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post

It didn't take long before chicken little and "The sky is falling" reference to come in. This discussion is about a social program that is being abused. It has nothing to do with public education or public road ways... Good try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire