U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 PM

105 posts, read 138,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
I would liken New Hampshire to Thailand, as far as people being friendly. It's hard to beat. They're as nice as southerners, for real.
Really? I've spent lots of time in Thailand, and IMO, that comparison is far off.

I'd say that even people in Oregon are far "friendlier" than those in NH.

Now, that's not to say people in NH aren't friendly. Not at all. Just more reserved and not as "surface" friendly as in some other places--and I've got no problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 PM

15,416 posts, read 21,560,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Really? I've spent lots of time in Thailand, and IMO, that comparison is far off.

I'd say that even people in Oregon are far "friendlier" than those in NH.

Now, that's not to say people in NH aren't friendly. Not at all. Just more reserved and not as "surface" friendly as in some other places--and I've got no problem with that.
Many NH people are similar to those in MN. They tend to be reserved but friendly.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,977,623 times
It depends on one's reference points... NH is friendlier than most of the rest of New England, NJ, the NYC area....

Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,041,339 times
Compared to people in greater Boston NH folks are a friendly bunch I suppose you can say that about any big city......but I have always found people in NYC to be very friendly when I worked down there.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM

105 posts, read 138,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Compared to people in greater Boston NH folks are a friendly bunch I suppose you can say that about any big city......but I have always found people in NYC to be very friendly when I worked down there.
I'd agree with that. I lived in Boston for 7 years, and while I knew a lot of people before moving there, I wouldn't have wanted to move there without knowing anyone. I always thought NYC was a lot friendlier.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM

242 posts, read 313,365 times
People seem to be a little paranoid of each other lately,maybe it is everywhere but it spreads like a witch hunt. Most people in NH generally seem tolerant but their are some intolerant ones.When Ma liberal and NH conservative values collide is is not a good mix.People in MA are friendly too,thats why a lot of NH people are friendly because they are originally from Mass.Their values tend to be different in some ways but where would NH be without all of the jobs in the Boston metro area alot NH people work at to make a decent living?There would be alot less population if Ma did not have the higher paying jos for NHites.There is not enough infrascructure and manufacturing base here for an independent economy but its part what makes NH NH.Boston is a far friendlier city than NY in my opinion.NY has too much arrogance.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM

I can only go by my own experience, but Boston people have an "edge". NYC people have that same "edge" but they seem to understand the irony of that edge.....and pull it off with more style & fun. This is all very subjective, and is just my opinion. There's a lot to like about Boston, and when people visit me I always try to take them down there, lol, where am I going to take them, Hart's Location

Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 PM

257 posts, read 391,380 times
I've found some friendly folks in Mass, but not as many. In general, they tend to drive much more aggressively, even when they come up our way. New Yorkers were pretty nice, overall, but drove even more aggressively. New Hampsha folk are pretty darn nice, eh.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
I've found some friendly folks in Mass, but not as many. In general, they tend to drive much more aggressively, even when they come up our way. New Yorkers were pretty nice, overall, but drove even more aggressively. New Hampsha folk are pretty darn nice, eh.
I never drove while I was in NYC, but it always amazed me at how close the cars drive together there without too many major accidents.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,977,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
People in MA are friendly too,thats why a lot of NH people are friendly because they are originally from Mass.
I lived in Boston for 25 years and another 10 in the suburbs. People in MA are generally not as friendly as NH. There are many ex-MA people in NH and part of the reason we leave is to get away from the parochial and snobby attitude of Bostonians..,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Their values tend to be different in some ways but where would NH be without all of the jobs in the Boston metro area alot NH people work at to make a decent living?There would be alot less population if Ma did not have the higher paying jos for NHites.There is not enough infrascructure and manufacturing base here for an independent economy but its part what makes NH NH.Boston is a far friendlier city than NY in my opinion.NY has too much arrogance.
This is crap. There are some people that commute from NH to MA to work but it is less than 10% of the population of NH workers. There are many large employers in NH (BAE, Fidelity, Timberland, BankNorth, etc.)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire