U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 3,423 times

Advertisements

Well, after 15 years living in Maine, the last three of which have been spent in Westbrook, my husband and I are looking to take the plunge and move to New Hampshire. Rising taxes, increased crime and vandalism, coupled with the city putting a housing complex for the mentally ill in our backyard have necessitated our flight.

My question is, what are the major differences that I can expect with such a move with regards to taxes, vehicle registration, licensure, etc? I know that there is no goods tax in New Hampshire but I'm also wondering if the higher property taxes paid offset this and I'll end up breaking even.

We're looking at the Littleton area (I've fallen in love with a house in Carroll), does anyone have input on the area? How are things with the job market?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for any help escaping Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

1,771 posts, read 3,031,894 times
The tax burden in NH is lower than ME- despite having higher property taxes having no income or sales tax really offsets it. I am not familiar with other costs (registration, insurance, etc) but found NH to be on par with where we can from (VA) and cheaper than other states I am aware of.

I am not very familiar with Westbrook or Littleton specifically- but overall home prices in NH seem to be higher than in ME (average driven up by the area that is semi-close to Boston I'm sure); since Littleton is further north- this may not be an issue.

As for the job market- NH has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country right now; that said I'm guessing it largely depends on your specific industry and someone from the Littleton area can probably provide you with more information than I can.

Welcome!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,497,250 times
I can't answer your questions on Carroll, but here's a link for Littleton:
Littleton, New Hampshire . I have never lived in Maine, so can't give you a comparison either - I'm a lot of help, aren't I?

Regarding the job market - what type of work will you be looking for? The site above has employment links on it.

I think the last real estate blurby that I read put the median price of a house up here somewhere around 180K, maybe a little higher, but not much. This area didn't see a huge "run-up" in prices that places south of here did.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,142,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtngrl View Post
Rising taxes, increased crime and vandalism, coupled with the city putting a housing complex for the mentally ill in our backyard have necessitated our flight.
Those are all a direct result of democrats. If you do make the move voting "D" will simply make NH just like ME.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM

53 posts, read 78,697 times
Taxes are pretty low in Carroll; Bretton Woods / Mt. Washington Hotel adds a lot to the tax base without requiring much in the way of services (kids in school, etc.).

Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM

53 posts, read 78,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Those are all a direct result of democrats.
Which of course explains why Vermont has one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,799,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Which of course explains why Vermont has one of the highest crime rates in the country.
Who are you going to blame, the Republicans in control? Oh, wait....

Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM

877 posts, read 1,683,781 times
Welcome!

Don't worry about the official anti-greeters here. NH is not full of grumpy old men.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM

15,399 posts, read 21,482,632 times
The Littleton area is full of friendly people and local businesses. I stayed at the haunted Thayer's Inn in Littleton one time many years ago!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,900,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I stayed at the haunted Thayer's Inn in Littleton one time many years ago!
Was it value for money in the department?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire