Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM

91 posts, read 297,567 times

Advertisements

New England pastor houses child killer, riles town - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/03/17/new_england_pastor_houses_child_killer_riles_town/ - broken link)

Quote:
CHICHESTER, N.H.—A pastor in this quiet, picturesque New England town thought he was doing the Christian thing when he took in a convicted child killer who had served his time but had nowhere to go.

But some neighbors of the Rev. David Pinckney vehemently disagree, one even threatening to burn his house down after officials could find no one else willing to take 60-year-old Raymond Guay.
More than 200 town residents on Tuesday packed a selectmen's meeting, the first since news of Guay's arrival broke over the weekend. Most called for Guay's removal, claiming repeatedly that their children couldn't sleep and were afraid to play outside.
I hope you folks in NH are less uncivil and evil then this article portrays. Of course i know most of you are but wow I thought you guys knew better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,321 times
One person threated to burn down his house. Yeah sounds like a pretty good population sample.

That being said we really don't like murderers here.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times
I read about this in our town paper over the weekend. Tough situation. I mean, as a parent of small children I can imagine people being afraid. But the pastor is doing everything he can to communicate the situation, which I understand to be temporary anyway. And it looks like he keeps a pretty tight rein on the man. Which is probably more than one could say if he was released to a halfway house.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Interesting first post to the NH forum. Uncivil? Evil? Aside from an alleged threat of burning the pastors house down-what else is uncivil? Nothing is wrong with parents not wanting a child killer living near them. So if parents don't want a child killer in their town then they are evil? The residents of Chichester have a right to voice their opinions about the situation.

If you feel so strongly about how the people of NH are treating this child killer, then perhaps you should invite him to come live with you. I am sure the residents of Chichester would appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Nice broad brush you paint with there, thinking that because the reporter found one clown that said something stupid, somehow we're all the same way.

That being said, 35 years for what he did wasn't nearly enough.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

263 posts, read 859,130 times
I can see all sides of the story....as a parent of a young child and as someone who provides care for other children, I can understand the resident's point of view. I would be afraid too! Also being a victim of abuse as a child, I would feel very strongly if a convicted murderer were moving into my neighborhood!!! I can understand someone feeling strongly enough to say something like that. Doing it on the other hand would be a totally different story! And it does NOT mean that all of us NH residents would feel the same.
I can also understand the Pastor's point of view. He was expressing his views as a Pastor, trying to live and be an example of the virtues that he preaches about including forgiveness. Taking this man into his home who has "served his time" (in the eyes of the law anyway) was what he considered to be the "Christian" thing to do.
I myself would not have taken the man into my home but the Pastor had his reasons.
One person's comment (or maybe more than one, who REALLY knows except the person/s that said it) should not reflect negatively on all residents. Someone said something out of fear and anger and that was their opinion, not everyone's.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 AM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
Right, clearly the evil-doers in this story are the townspeople, not the man who has repeatedly been convicted of violent crimes. (eye roll.) I am not a fan of lynch mobs but this news bit tells me more about the failures of our justice system than about anything wrong with our small towns. The guy assaulted and murdered a young boy. That alone, in my mind, should have put him away for life. Instead, after abducting another couple, stabbing an inmate and who knows what else (he already had a criminal record for something else) he's out on parole. Brutal! How sad for him to be so persecuted. I'm sure the pastor means well, and I respect that he's willing to live his faith by putting his family at risk. And yes, I'm sure the guy is better supervised there than he would be at a halfway house - at least I hope so, since he's now living with a 13 year old boy. However, I cannot imagine any circumstance that would convince me this guy deserves to be out on the streets. I'm not condoning threats to burn down the house, since everything the pastor and even the murderer are doing is perfectly legal - but to call townspeople "uncivil" and "evil" for being upset because a repeat offender has been given safe harbor in their neighborhood seems a bit ridiculous. Would YOU like your kids growing up next door to him?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
I volunteer to pick up Raymond Guay on Saturday and drop him off to live next door to "Onni". Guay can sit in the back seat between the dog and my friend Big Ed. Unfortunately, Onni's neighbors won't be informed of Guay being in town as despite his crimes, Guay does not have to register as a sex offender. So, just post your address here Onni, and I'll make the arrangements...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
New England pastor houses child killer, riles town - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/03/17/new_england_pastor_houses_child_killer_riles_town/ - broken link)

I hope you folks in NH are less uncivil and evil then this article portrays. Of course i know most of you are but wow I thought you guys knew better.
And I thought people should know better than to make sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people. .So when are you taking this nice fellow into your home? Be sure to let your neighbors know about his unique situation -- and please report back on how your neighbors welcomed a child murderer in YOUR neighborhood!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
However, I cannot imagine any circumstance that would convince me this guy deserves to be out on the streets.
Thank you for a sane post.

There are "debts to society" that are simply incalculable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire