U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM

369 posts, read 534,988 times

Advertisements

I'd say there's five months of bad skiing / snowmobiling here. Otherwise I love it here. I live in a small town, not even a movie theater for miles around. Quite, peacefull, very little crime.

The most serious matter reported in the newspapers was a bunch of mailboxes smashed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,183 times
Well, I live in NH for quiet some years now. Not everything looks so good like so many people are saying. Jobs are disappearing in a very fast pace. This is not sunshine Florida, we have a lot of snow, cold and gray days, life is getting expensive here. If you don't mind depression in all means of the word, came up. Up here we are all conservatives but with some adult video stores opening here and there. Drive slowly if you intend to drive two hours to work because during winter not all the roads are clean of snow and we see a lot of them in the ditch. In the summer, spring and fall, keep driving slow because our State police is very picky. This is not counting with jams from tourism of Canada and from all over. Property taxes are going through the roof. Don't make the mistake of buying property with a nice view, NH is the only State that has "view tax" and you can be assessed on it. In our conservative State you can buy alcoholl Monday to Sunday, it helps to cope with the long eight months winters. Driving in some areas of the State you may also be exposed to what we call weirdos, a great thing for the kids to see from the car window and have nightmares at night. We are also the motorcycle State, so make sure that on our few sunny days your brakes are fine. Anyway, you are welcome...

Last edited by wizard99; 03-27-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM

998 posts, read 1,380,153 times
I do know a couple of people that were layed off but they have been able to find new jobs. A couple others have had hours cut but are still working. As a self employed carpenter, things are really picking up after a sluggish winter.

We love the seasons, even the winter. Great for snowshoeing, skiing, snowmen, sliding, ice skating and sometimes we even sleep in.

Yes, slow down in the winter when the roads are bad. Give yourself plenty of time. Drive with courtesy the rest of the year. Don't be in a big rush. It's the NH way!

I live in the upper Valley snow belt and we get a bit of snow. I plowed from Dec through March - that's 4 months. Now it's spring.

Wizards = weirdos

Please make sure your brakes are working well year round when driving on our roads. Let's keep my kids and yours safe.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM

248 posts, read 534,854 times
Where we are now, we get winter from end of November to usually beginning of April...long winters are a normallcy for us. It's just a part of NH life! I've had my share visits to NH, and everytime I visit, I want to move there even more... if you want the city - life it is there in the lower part of the state by Manchester and then you are close enough to Boston. If you want the quiet country life, just go a little further north..or you can have both because the state is so small you can drive places!

I can't say anything about property taxes, they are still lower than NJ or NYC, Long Island areas...just more expensive than where we are now... but with the property tax, you get a great school system where the percentage of students proceed to college.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanne62499 View Post
My husband and I are finding ourselves again in a tight spot....we have to move,but where?We live in So Fl,lived in So Cal, MI and MN, but he can not find a job here. I am a nurse, so unless there is a hiring freeze, I can work anywhere.We were looking into NH,my hubby had interview there...no job unfortunately, and I like the location based on what I found on the net.Now...I would like some personal opinions....how is life in NH? Would be good for a family?We have 2 boys, we are conservative, and like peaceful lifestyles.Is is expensive to rent?Do you know anything about salaries for nurses in NH?Or it would be impossible to live on one salary?
NH is a GREAT state to live in, especially for families with children.

Southern part might hold best job prospects because that's where population and employers are. (BTW, Manchester has two hospitals: Elliot and Catholic Medical Center.) Also, good access to Boston, the seacoast, and Manchester airport.

NH has one of lowest overall tax burdens in the nation (I think Alaska beats us because of all their oil revenues.) Property taxes can be high, but there's no income or sales tax. Our economy routinely outperforms the rest of New England. Unemployment is rising, but still below regional and national average. And a few years back NH had 6th highest income; not sure if still true, but we're probably within that range today.

NH is not really a conservative state. It is more libertarian ("Live Free or Die"), though trending strongly to the left in recent years. Democrats control both houses of the state legislature, the Governor's office, both U.S. House seats, and one of the two U.S. Senate seats. And the Dem presidential candidate carried NH in 1992, 1996, 2004, and 2008.

If you like natural beauty (lakes, mountains, a little bit of beach), friendly people, low taxes, low crime, and cold winters, NH is very tough to beat. We love it here!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,988,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcguy View Post
if you like natural beauty (lakes, mountains, a little bit of beach), friendly people, low taxes, low crime, and cold winters, nh is very tough to beat. We love it here!
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire