U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,671,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Really. Then what is a marriage license? How can the justice of the peace perform a marriage? How can the IRS have different tax rates for married people. "Marriage" is a legal term. Those who wrote the US Constitution and most of the state constitutions never anticipated that anyone would not understand that it is one man and one woman.
And I think that's all crap. My marriage means more to me than the legal definition conveyed upon it by the state and I want Federal, State, and Local government OUT of it.

The government should convey the legal contract of a civil union...on anyone regardless of creed/color/gender/etc- as long as they are consenting adults who willfully agree to the contract at hand.

Marriage should be the spiritual/personal commitment of two individuals and should be conveyed upon them via the church or some other relevant individual of their faith/beliefs.

So in short- I think the government is wrong to be involved at all in "marriage". Likewise if someone doesn't support gay marriage- they should just opt to belong to an organization/church/whatever that doesn't support it; personal responsibility, right?

Unread 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM

6,508 posts, read 7,490,965 times
Quote:
It is funny how posters from SC, OR, TX, GA, MD, CA, RI, MA, etc. decide to hop on the NH board to tell NH people how the state should be run. The US government has already ruled that marriage is between one man and one woman. Some states have gone and created their own laws. Given a chance to vote, the people have voted against gay marriage and civil unions...
Almost my entire family lives in Southern NH and has for generations. What your state chooses to do very deeply affects my life.

Unread 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Status: "Freezing in Coastal New Hampshire" (set 21 days ago)

9,045 posts, read 10,909,720 times
Quote:
The US government has already ruled that marriage is between one man and one woman. .
It has? Then there would not be any of this controversy. As far as I am aware there is no federal statute indicating that marriage = man + woman.

I am against marriage for gays or straights period. I am pro civil union for everyone. If you want a religious ceremony do it after your civil one, but for legal purposes only civil unions are recognized.

Unread 03-27-2009, 06:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,776,896 times
Smile Do you mean Homosexual Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Still can't figure out how a homosexual can get married, as marriage defines a certain sacred sexual act which homosexuals cannot do with each other.

Let the homosexuals define their own sacred sexual act and leave the heterosexuals out of it. We already have ours and we call it marriage!

Unread 03-27-2009, 08:43 PM

2,989 posts, read 4,625,941 times
with that thinking than only married hetero sexual couples would have sex....and the species would die out. people live together now for years before considering marriage and many don't consider marriage at all. Are these people sinners because they fornicate before marriage? in some religious beliefs, they are.... but in society as a whole, they are not.

Adam and Eve became ONE. yet, they never married, at least not anything similar to today's weddings. What God saw as binding was intercourse. Therefore, in the eyes of God, ANY sexual act was as binding as a legal contract and should be associated with a life long commitment.

Marriage is a celebration of oneness. If it's between two consenting adults, who are we to intervene? Who are we to judge? It's not like heterosexuals have made a huge success of marriage. Homosexuals are not going to do anything worse to the 'blessed sacrament' than what heteros have already done.

In 1974, homosexuality was declassified as a mental disease. We have made great strides in accepting people for what they are. However, people love to discriminate against anything they don't understand.

Getting married is the ultimate way to show love and commitment to your partner.

It wasn't that long ago that women were not allowed to own property and blacks were not permitted to marry whites. a little enlightenment, compassion and acceptance goes a long way.

Legal marriage is facing a slippery slope. It is no longer a contract freely entered into by ANY adult. Currently, it is only open to certain persons under specified conditions according to law. Divorce or termination of the contract can only be done in a courtroom and not in a religious ceremony. There is nothing equal about it, very simply, the richest one wins.

consider where the term 'sacred' sexual act comes from -
History of Sacred Sex

Throughout history the "sacred prostitute" or priestess was seen as a holy person and these priestesses provided a service of the Goddess. A man could enter the temple with an offering, and request the services of a Priestess within. He wished to gain the favor of the Goddess, or obtain an extra bit of fertility for his fields, or herds of sheep, cattle or camels. In having sex with the Priestess he would feel blessed and honored, and go home full of confidence.
Celtic Sacred Sex & the Great Rite

Unread 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,315,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
I agree that it is possibly part of the 'live free or die' concept but aren't they also trying to pass laws that contradict the 'live free or die' concept as well?.....(seat belt law). Something doesn't smell right. Maybe it is me...I don't know.
Yes, and it's sad that they seem to be so confused on that idea or 'live free'. my DH explained to me the concept that I think works the best: if it's your personal freedom that doesn't impinge on anyone else's safety (seat belts/helmets, domestic partners...) that should be an informed choice and personal decision. When it becomes an issue that involves other peoples safety (drunk driving, some might class the smoking here although it's so easy to get carried away like MD does) then there may be a case to spell out the common sense of it.

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:00 PM

257 posts, read 349,953 times
Wait a minute! I'm a straight guy. Do you have to be gay to marry another man under this bill? No? Then they should call it same sex marriage, because that's what it is.

I don't believe that the state should be involved in the marriage business at all. If two people tell the world that they're married, so be it.

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM

69 posts, read 70,106 times
It's a simple case of GENDER discrimination - this hub bub should already be moot (nation wide).
Are other licenses denied based on what dangles off your body?

I wish the word "sex" (in conjunction with same, homo, preference, etc) would be left out of the issue entirely. It provokes the haters of sin and is too icky for many otherwise rational adults to say "I've got gay friends, but..."

Whom ever believes in 1 man, 1 woman should spend more of their time lobbying to outlaw divorce.
Til death do they part - just like the Bible says...

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 2,548,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Almost my entire family lives in Southern NH and has for generations. What your state chooses to do very deeply affects my life.
Deeply affects the life of someone who does not live here? "Deeply"?

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 2,548,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
It has? Then there would not be any of this controversy. As far as I am aware there is no federal statute indicating that marriage = man + woman.

I am against marriage for gays or straights period. I am pro civil union for everyone. If you want a religious ceremony do it after your civil one, but for legal purposes only civil unions are recognized.
Defense of Marriage Act, 1992. Defense of Marriage Act - Amends the Federal judicial code to provide that no State, territory, or possession of the United States or Indian tribe shall be required to give effect to any marriage between persons of the same sex under the laws of any other such jurisdiction or to any right or claim arising from such relationship.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire