Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what on earth took NH so long! It's part of the whole 'live free or die' concept in that it's your own business you who love and wish to marry. It has no bearing on anyone else (unless they're peaking through your windows). Being gay isn't a disease that can be 'cured' or is just something someone does to rebel against their parents. It's the way you are. I love my gay nephew and friends just as much as my straight ones

Live and let live!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I've always wondered what on earth took NH so long! It's part of the whole 'live free or die' concept in that it's your own business you who love and wish to marry. It has no bearing on anyone else (unless they're peaking through your windows). Being gay isn't a disease that can be 'cured' or is just something someone does to rebel against their parents. It's the way you are. I love my gay nephew and friends just as much as my straight ones

Live and let live!
I agree that it is possibly part of the 'live free or die' concept but aren't they also trying to pass laws that contradict the 'live free or die' concept as well?.....(seat belt law). Something doesn't smell right. Maybe it is me...I don't know.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
GAY MARRAGE LAW SUPORTS INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM! This is good.

Seat belt laws are an attempt to protect insurance companies from stupid customers. Insurance companies and stupid clients do not need government protection. Adults can decide to wear a seat belt or not because they are adults. There is some sense in protecting children from the stupidity of adults by requiring kids be belted into the seat. We already have that law.

Please remember New Hampshire has 435 Representatives and any one of them can propose a law. From 435 people some pretty strange laws can be proposed.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
The people of NH should be allowed to vote on this in a state wide referendum.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
I don't see why this is such a hot issue; legally consenting individuals acting under their own free weill should be able to be joined by marriage (the church/private entity practicioner part) and/or civil union (the legally binding/administrative part). That should be the end of it; if the church/private entity is against the marriage for ANY reason- as a private entity that is their call and we all should respect that. The state on the other hand- should recognize the ability of free willed adults to enter into a legally binding contract with one another.

I told myself, don't comment anymore in threads that may turn political...but, having moved here from the land of politics- I can't help it

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post

Live and let live!
I agree with ya WannaComeHome

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM

263 posts, read 859,356 times
I agree with you also Wanna and BF!! Go NH!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Marriage is defined as one man and one woman by the constitutions of 37 states. The US constitution does not define marriage but the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 defined a marriage as a man and a woman. There should be one standard for marriage across the country. Activist judges should not be defining what a marriage is...

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Marriage is defined as one man and one woman by the constitutions of 37 states. The US constitution does not define marriage but the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 defined a marriage as a man and a woman. There should be one standard for marriage across the country. Activist judges should not be defining what a marriage is...
Agree completely. That standard at a government level should be the legal contract between two consenting individuals called a civil union- which serves the administrative purpose of combing legal responsibilities. Then the issue of a marriage ceremony should be left up to the private entities that conduct said ceremony.

It's an issue of differentiating between the state being established as a "neutral" 3rd party in regard to contractual obligations; and the regulator of voluntary consenting adult personal interactions.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM

104 posts, read 467,158 times
Marriage is defined as a legal union between one man and one woman. This has always been the definition since the birth of our nation, and always should be. To re-define marriage is to threaten the very fabric of our society-the family. I have nothing against people who choose a gay lifestyle having the same privileges as a marriage under a "civil union". That's what it is, and should be. It's not the same as a marriage. To open up the definition of marriage to be just any two willing partners will seriously undermine, and perhaps destroy the significance of marriage altogether. Our values need to be protected, or they, like the liberty of our nation, will slowly die, and chaos will reign. These values have already been seriously eroded. The institutions of marriage and the family are the bedrock of our society! If we carelessly cast these sacred values aside, our society will ultimately falter and fail. We've gotten ourselves to a very dangerous place in America today by abandoning many of the values that set us apart as a nation. Now we are seeing the results of this by what is happening to our economy. There seems to be no more reason, no more accountability! We've slowly allowed the government too much freedom to control everything in our lives in exchange for hand-outs. They've grown huge and corrupt, and we are on the verge of losing what it took 200 years to build! Certain truths are self-evident and need to be preserved. The institution of marriage and family are at the forefront! Alternative lifestyles are ok for those who choose it, but I wish they would be content to keep it to themselves - not impose it on the majority by pressuring our leaders to pass laws that further jeopardize our families and our society! With a civil union, they can have what they need and want, and preserve the institution of Marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire