Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Can we *please* try to stay on the "I love NH" concept... In these so-so times; I'm looking for a feel-good read of a thread where discouraged folks can read and feel better... Don't take this as a disagreement with anyones opinion; I'm just not looking to get into politics beyond happy ones...

Thank you BF

I'm very excited about the sugar shacks and the fact that a lot of things I buy at the store are grown and harvested here in NH! I also love how many independent businesses have tours for groups of children for free. Like Chapell Tractor in Milford. How cool is that??

And while I'm on the subject of independent businesses, I love doing business with them. It is such a refreshing change to talk with sales people (usually the owner) about a product and actually get useful information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
I love rediscovering New Hampshire.

Driving for the first time to Rochester and seeing shopping centers, houses with flowers beginning to bloom, and little ice cream stands getting ready to open up for the season.

Discovering lakes I never knew were there, streams gushing down slippery stones and merging into sister rivers to take them on their new journeys.

Discovering small "off the map" towns with New England charm on every cape home porch.

Passing by small children discovering New Hampshire forests for their first time, and remembering the feeling of being free and full of life at that age growing up in magical New Hampshire myself.

Getting lost and not worried about driving the extra 25 miles out into nowhere New Hampshire because the views, the pines, the lilac scent, and the cool mountain breeze takes you under her magic spell and you almost wish you never find your way out.

Discovering that you've been gone all day, the sun is setting, and you can't wait to discover it all over again very soon!

Happy Spring Everyone!

I <3 NH!!

Kat

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
what I love about new hampshire is it only takes a couple days or so of good weather to give you amnesia about the winter, too cold??? too much snow?? what are you talking about

Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I love rediscovering New Hampshire.

Driving for the first time to Rochester and seeing shopping centers, houses with flowers beginning to bloom, and little ice cream stands getting ready to open up for the season.

Discovering lakes I never knew were there, streams gushing down slippery stones and merging into sister rivers to take them on their new journeys.

Discovering small "off the map" towns with New England charm on every cape home porch.

Passing by small children discovering New Hampshire forests for their first time, and remembering the feeling of being free and full of life at that age growing up in magical New Hampshire myself.

Getting lost and not worried about driving the extra 25 miles out into nowhere New Hampshire because the views, the pines, the lilac scent, and the cool mountain breeze takes you under her magic spell and you almost wish you never find your way out.

Discovering that you've been gone all day, the sun is setting, and you can't wait to discover it all over again very soon!

Happy Spring Everyone!

I <3 NH!!

Kat

You are making me want to move back right now! I can't do that for 5 more years, but hopefully, mission permitting, I'll be back to visit in 3 weeks! I cannot wait to see the trees, mountains, ocean, and historic charm. The snow has just melted here in ND, and nothing is green yet...

Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM

I lived in north Texas for 12+ years Steve. All I thought about each spring and summer was New Hampshire. Dry, hot winds blew my sun faded patio decor, and I had to scoop up dead tarantulas the size of my fist out of my back yard each "migration" season. Fire ants, dead grass by April because of severe drought conditions causing each town to have water rationing.....I had posters of NH and would often call all my relatives up here and ask for a vacation invite often!

By August I was wet with sweat coming out of the shower in Texas, and my Air conditioning bill for one month was most likely more than your Oil purchase last October-January. Does anyone else get severely stuffed up like hay fever around 100% air conditioning?

I feel your plight completely. I can give you a list of dreams to detail out in a notebook, keeping you busy for the next 5 years...things to do once you come home. I did it for 15 and even though the economy is looking rather dim...hanging out here with the locals and smiling at the pictures they post will make the time fly.

In Texas, the thought for me to spend the day a few counties over just to see a new city, was a dreadful plan. Traffic, miles of stretched concrete roads with nothing to view on our way to a city that ended up looking exactly gridded and cookie cutter as the one I just left was enough to keep me at home reading books for the seasons that passed.

Today? I have a CD of my favorite drive songs, and I'm taking my husband to a new place in NH that I just found, and he has never seen. Each curve descends down into a village like town full of blooming gardens, budding trees, and if you turn down your radio, you can stop and park to listen to birds and gushing water from somewhere deep in the forests. I had some kind of yellow canary looking bird land on a branch while pulled off to the side of the road, just chirping at me! My first thought was "someone's pet flew out a window" but I am noticing these little yellow guys everywhere! This place is amazing......each day is something incredible....and your journey is waiting for you too.

You'll be home soon!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:45 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I lived in north Texas for 12+ years Steve. All I thought about each spring and summer was New Hampshire. Dry, hot winds blew my sun faded patio decor, and I had to scoop up dead tarantulas the size of my fist out of my back yard each "migration" season. Fire ants, dead grass by April because of severe drought conditions causing each town to have water rationing.....I had posters of NH and would often call all my relatives up here and ask for a vacation invite often!

By August I was wet with sweat coming out of the shower in Texas, and my Air conditioning bill for one month was most likely more than your Oil purchase last October-January. Does anyone else get severely stuffed up like hay fever around 100% air conditioning?

I feel your plight completely. I can give you a list of dreams to detail out in a notebook, keeping you busy for the next 5 years...things to do once you come home. I did it for 15 and even though the economy is looking rather dim...hanging out here with the locals and smiling at the pictures they post will make the time fly.

In Texas, the thought for me to spend the day a few counties over just to see a new city, was a dreadful plan. Traffic, miles of stretched concrete roads with nothing to view on our way to a city that ended up looking exactly gridded and cookie cutter as the one I just left was enough to keep me at home reading books for the seasons that passed.

Today? I have a CD of my favorite drive songs, and I'm taking my husband to a new place in NH that I just found, and he has never seen. Each curve descends down into a village like town full of blooming gardens, budding trees, and if you turn down your radio, you can stop and park to listen to birds and gushing water from somewhere deep in the forests. I had some kind of yellow canary looking bird land on a branch while pulled off to the side of the road, just chirping at me! My first thought was "someone's pet flew out a window" but I am noticing these little yellow guys everywhere! This place is amazing......each day is something incredible....and your journey is waiting for you too.

You'll be home soon!
I hope to own me a little bit of that NH paradise later this year. Next month's trip is to narrow down the areas of the seacoast (or right near it) that I want to consider buying land in. Late summer/early fall I'll pull the trigger and buy. Five years later - paid off and building my house on it. I can't wait to put a picture of my land as my "desktop" on my computer at work, so I can look at it every day when things are miserable at work and I can go to my "happy place". Thanks for the inspiring words!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
what I love about new hampshire is it only takes a couple days or so of good weather to give you amnesia about the winter, too cold??? too much snow?? what are you talking about
The funniest part of that is being in a car full of people, and hearing UGGGHH when we pass over a hill and someone spotted a snow bank still left in the shaded woods. I laugh every time. GRRRRR snow! I haven't forgotten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire