Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 48,987 times

Advertisements

in my case, the vernal pool is half on my property and half on two others. We have a backyard of about 20-25ft and it feels like we live on a peninsula because the front yard is dug out after same distance and we are surrounded by a man made rock barrier wall. We want to improve the front and back yards to have a bit more breathing room and have greater use with our kids and dogs. I have to get the survey plan from whoever did the subdivision and see if its ID'd as a wetlands or not. Then go to the town and get the permit to dredge and fill.

Listen, I like having the vernal pool and sounds of the frogs, and so does my wife and kids, but for them its mainly due to a pair of ducks that like to visit. If that pool gets even partially filled in, I don't think those ducks will like it much. If you saw the property lot and saw the landscape you would understand why we want to shrink the pool and move it back towards the back property line. It would still have and attract wildlife, but not so close to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Interesting thread, my lot is almost 4 acres and there is water all around, small-medium ponds with lots of swamps scattered about. my property has several vernal pools but no official wetlands. let me tell you, its mosquito central. we have tons of dragon flys, frogs and bats and they seem to make no dent at all in the mosquito situation. I can only imagine if we didn't have them! Regardless, I have been thinking about clearing out 1/2-1 acre of my wetter property and digging it out for a small 1/2 acre pond. at least that way I will have a nice feature on the property, I agree it probably wont put much of a dent in the mosquito situation, but it wont hurt either.

If they were to map and declare these areas as "vernal pools" this would most likely bar me from doing so... Looks like I better get digging sooner then later....

I am all for nature and conservation, but to the point where we are telling people they cant clear out a wet seasonal puddle on their property, it becomes a bit much.
It seems to me that you shouldn't have bought your 4 acre lot if you are so unhappy with all the wet (and mosquitoes) around it. But I suspect that the purchase price reflected the swampy nature of it.

In other words, if you don't like living surrounded with wetlands close around you, then you should have bought a drier piece of land...

I'm not a "greenie nut-job hippie freak" but I see their point in not wanting to change the rural landscape of NH. I can understand why they would try to stop people who've bought less expensive lots with issues like wetlands and letting them "improve" their property by removing those wetlands and changing the overall character of the area's environment. And there are plenty of land lots that wouldn't have any wetlands on it, although they might be more expensive to buy.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It seems to me that you shouldn't have bought your 4 acre lot if you are so unhappy with all the wet (and mosquitoes) around it. But I suspect that the purchase price reflected the swampy nature of it.

In other words, if you don't like living surrounded with wetlands close around you, then you should have bought a drier piece of land...

I'm not a "greenie nut-job hippie freak" but I see their point in not wanting to change the rural landscape of NH. I can understand why they would try to stop people who've bought less expensive lots with issues like wetlands and letting them "improve" their property by removing those wetlands and changing the overall character of the area's environment. And there are plenty of land lots that wouldn't have any wetlands on it, although they might be more expensive to buy.

Yeah well we looked at the house in August, and guess what, it was dry and the mosquitos were not out in full force.. maybe I should have waited a year to see what it looked like in April.... oh wait then it would have probably been sold... and my property is not exactly swampy, like I said it has vernal pools not documented wetlands... the land around it is..

thanks for your useful feedback though

Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 AM

176 posts, read 298,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Interesting thread, my lot is almost 4 acres and there is water all around, small-medium ponds with lots of swamps scattered about. my property has several vernal pools but no official wetlands. let me tell you, its mosquito central. we have tons of dragon flys, frogs and bats and they seem to make no dent at all in the mosquito situation. I can only imagine if we didn't have them! Regardless, I have been thinking about clearing out 1/2-1 acre of my wetter property and digging it out for a small 1/2 acre pond. at least that way I will have a nice feature on the property, I agree it probably wont put much of a dent in the mosquito situation, but it wont hurt either.

I am all for nature and conservation, but to the point where we are telling people they cant clear out a wet seasonal puddle on their property, it becomes a bit much.
Hohohoh. You'll have a terrible time with that. You'll need some fill for the land, or it'll be a grassy swamp, you'll need a lot of effort to get through the stones a few feet down, and if the swampy bits were dry in august, your pond is going to be a smelly mud pit then as well. In addition, it will probably be a couple years before you get a good enough ecosystem to have fish in, so say hello to even more mosquitoes.

And a lot of the reason for keeping the swamp bits is because they eat up spring thaw that would otherwise flood lawns, roads and houses, making your taxes and insurance go up even more. I grew up near a creek bed, it was low enough to walk in waist deep when I was ten or so, but every spring, it suddenly became 7 feet deep for a month, and the surrounding acre became soup. Neighbors a bit upstream had done some landscaping and cleared out that swampy bit, leveled it for a nice lawn, blah, blah, and every year, had a nice mud and standing water patch in their yard. Sometimes it's best to do a lot of research and see if you're wasting time before breaking out the shovels, a lot of people who bought development properties with flooding basements can attest to that.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
We would get these in central NY a lot. It was so cool to see. Often times when I'd take random forest roads w/ no destination in mind and then I'd get out and walk to get lost for a few hours...I would come across these, and they aren't always necessarily that big.

I saw tadpoles and eggs sometimes in old tire tracks that were no more than a couple inches deep, or little naturally occuring pools that were only like 6 inches across. It's so weird to be walking down a random path, and to see little wriggling tadpoles in tiny puddles at your feet.

Well, weird, in a cool way.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
Wetlands of any size can be placed in current use. Might as well lower your tax burden and file an application.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Wetlands of any size can be placed in current use. Might as well lower your tax burden and file an application.
There a pretty good information in this thread and some not so good information. This is the most factually incorrect.

Current use land must contain a minimum of 10 acres of undeveloped land. It can be split by a road or even a town line but there must be ten acres if it under one ownership.

As regards to loggers, 98% of the problems would go away with the incarceration of four or five statewide operators.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
There a pretty good information in this thread and some not so good information. This is the most factually incorrect.

Current use land must contain a minimum of 10 acres of undeveloped land. It can be split by a road or even a town line but there must be ten acres if it under one ownership.

As regards to loggers, 98% of the problems would go away with the incarceration of four or five statewide operators.
Sorry, It is NOT factually incorrect. "Any amount of acreage that is wetlands, plus a buffer of up to 100 feet, can be enrolled in current use." I have personally, successfully placed 5.5 acres of my wet-land in current use, which dropped my taxes 90% on that parcel.

SPACE: New Hampshire's Current Use Coalition

Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,463 times
Quote:
Sorry, It is NOT factually incorrect. "Any amount of acreage that is wetlands, plus a buffer of up to 100 feet, can be enrolled in current use." I have personally, successfully placed 5.5 acres of my wet-land in current use, which dropped my taxes 90% on that parcel.

Thanks for clearing this up. This is the first I had heard of this and I thought I had researched current use fairly thoroughly.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:18 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Quote:

My apologies. I have been doing forestry for 19 years and this is the first I have seen that. Probably because hardly any clients own less than 10 acres.

Again, my apologies and thanks for pointing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire