U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,973,186 times

Advertisements

The lyme thread reminded me that recently I saw a thread here on safer ways to get rid of ticks on your lawn. Someone posted a link to a site that talked about soaking cotton balls in some kind of chemical (starting with a P), then putting them in cardboard tubes, and laying the tubs in various places on your property. The assumption was that rodents would use the cotton as nesting material and it would stop ticks at the source. Does anyone remember this thread or site? Has anyone tried this strategy?

We really don't want to spread pesticide all over our lawn because we have toddlers that like to run around. Our grass is cut pretty short, but our yards are surrounded by woodsy portions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,030,330 times
Permethrin perhaps? It's been shown to be very effective on repelling ticks and is considered largely non-toxic (though so is deet).

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,399,638 times
I'd suggest you get a starter flock of chickens, not only will they eat tons of ticks but they'll supply you with farm fresh eggs.
Guinea hens the best for tick consumption and they're good eating too!

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Permethrin perhaps? It's been shown to be very effective on repelling ticks and is considered largely non-toxic (though so is deet).
I think that was it, thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,008,942 times
We just put the cardboard tubes containing cotton soaked in p-chemical. It will take a little while before the mice find them and in the meantime we will need to spray ourselves if we go out. Hopefully this will work. We still have plenty of turkeys wandering through - do they eat ticks like chickens? If so I will stop shooing them away.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 4,094,216 times
Default Northern NH & Ticks?

So how far up North do you have to go in NH to escape the Tick problem. I lived most of my life on Long Island, played in plenty of grass & woods, we never really had a Tick problem. Now i'm in Las Vegas, no ticks.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
We just put the cardboard tubes containing cotton soaked in p-chemical. It will take a little while before the mice find them and in the meantime we will need to spray ourselves if we go out. Hopefully this will work. We still have plenty of turkeys wandering through - do they eat ticks like chickens? If so I will stop shooing them away.
Ha ha! Good question! We have a flock of turkeys roaming our streets. I find them in our yards about once a week.

I just found out that Dh had bought bifenthrin granules and treated the perimeter of the house. Now he'll do the perimeter of the yard. Lisa G, where did you buy the tick tubes? Can you get them at the Lowes or Home Depot?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 AM

33,795 posts, read 29,215,017 times
The tube that toilet paper and paper towles is rolled on would do quite nicely. Reuse beats recycle.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,008,942 times
A friend made them for us (using tp tubes) - sorry I can't tell you where they are sold. Good luck w/your bifenthrin!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 AM

1,771 posts, read 3,030,330 times
Do does getting mice/etc to take tick repellant back to their nests actually work?

If so that's a really cool way to reduce the tick population...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire