U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,001 times

Advertisements

How long will it take to drive from Nashua to Chelmsford-(just southwest of the 3 and 495 intersection)?

From Northern Nashua?

From Southern Nashua?

In the summertime?

In the wintertime?

I would like to have as little of a drive as possible. Is living in Lowell instead of Nashua worth it? I live on my own, make about $38,500 a year, and would eventually like to buy a home in the area (Nashua, Lowell, Chelmsford, etc.)

Anyone play hockey there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,359,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concreto View Post
How long will it take to drive from Nashua to Chelmsford-(just southwest of the 3 and 495 intersection)?
From Northern Nashua?
From Southern Nashua?
In the summertime?
In the wintertime?
I would like to have as little of a drive as possible. Is living in Lowell instead of Nashua worth it? I live on my own, make about $38,500 a year, and would eventually like to buy a home in the area (Nashua, Lowell, Chelmsford, etc.)
Anyone play hockey there?
Not long...10 minutes on good days, normally 15; 20 at most (Nashua to Chelmsford)

Now, Lowell is considered "bad" (it suffered terrible when the mills left)...that said- there have been many noteable improvements in the town; they have various festivals, art shows, etc...and more "better" neighborhoods are popping up (despite the still existing "bad" stigma). My guess is that if it continues down the "improvement" path...investing in a home in Lowell wouldn't be a bad move (particularly a nice mill loft)...but for right now its not considered a desirable area.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,359,384 times
...I have high hopes for Lowell...its got an amazing history and great character...it also has a good location (including commuter rail to Boston).

Unfortunately my high hopes rely on disciplined & goal oriented city management; as well the work of residents to take pride in where they live. These are variables that can't be controlled unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
I have seen Lowell change for the better in the last 25 years. The Millyard/National Park area is fantastic.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,790,790 times
Lowell is hardly "hatable". The Tsongas arena has some great events and the city is a lot better than it used to be. It is far ahead of Lawrence, MA...

Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,015 times
I'm fairly new to Chelmsford, and have only been to Lowell a few times, briefly. I humbly agree with the other responses, it's a historic city that suffers mightily from a bad reputation - and there are some pockets where the neighborhood is not very safe. Other parts are very expensive and very pretty. It's a big (suburban) city full of contradictions right now.

But they are working to turn it around and, with God's help, they will. While there, you can see how "charming and historic" it still is, even in a state of decline. It's also absolutely BIG! I don't drive, so always take a cab while in the city and I'm always heartened at how the cab drivers double as "Lowell tour guide!" They make me smile with their humor, wry wit and knowledge of a city that they obviously love well.

But, again, it is a city not at ease with itself. In 15 minutes, you can go from totally, expensive neighborhood, to charming, suburban neighborhood, to poverty stricken/crime neighborhood.

I wonder if a 'tenant at will" renting arrangement, if you are determined to live there, would work best for now.. It will give you the time to really see the city and all the "pockets" that come with it without the commitment of signing a lease, anywhere.

Chelmsford and Westford are both outstanding towns to buy in, at any time. They are great neighborhoods with low crime rates and really precious communities, thank God.

Good luck, Sir. I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire