Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,529,511 times

Advertisements

Almost 200 miles Not bad for the first ride of the season. Well we wanted to see the ruins of Madame Sherris mansion in Chesterfield, so we got an early start at around 7:30, grabbed breakfest at Garys Harvest Restaruant. Traveling rest on route 9 armed with our directions from the New Hampshire Curiosities book we turned left at the NH liquor plaza just before the bridge entering Brattleboro VT onto Mountain rd, then IMMEDIATELY left onto Gulf rd. You will Gulf roads hard packed dirt road for two miles. If you did it today, you would have encountered several muddy spots along with a forboding road closed sign ( except to local traffic)

Well we travel where mere tourists fear to tread and though we were rewarded with several wonderful views of rushing water plunging off to the side of the road, there were precious few spots that afforded stopping for pics safely, but here is a nice little waterfall right on the side of the road

The nice thing is you can walk right up to this fall

About to miles up and to the right is The Madame Sherri Forest. It is now a 488 acre conservation area.

Pull into the parking lot and you are greeted by this sign ( Lindas shot

Adjacent to the foot bridge is this lovely walled in pond

Follow short trail over the footbridge and you are greeted with the eerie stillness of what is called Madame Sherris Castle

Neat facial image in this pic

The mansion seen from the woods

You can search Madam Sherri online for more detail, suffice to say she was an "interesting" lady. Today one might call here a cougar as it is rumored that she had more then a passing interest in young men. It is also been told that in here heyday she liked to drive her Packard into town during the summer wearing her fur coat, with nothing underneath.

After we left Sherris we lazily headed home first stopping at the Stonewall farm in Chesterfield, which was very picturesque but by that time the uncharacteristic heat of the day was bearing down so we ceased from too much trail exploring

An unexpeted stop for lunch found us at the Pit Stop BBQ in Westmoreland on rte 12. Hunger was thot the reason however, I had reas about this places opening on the Pig Trip website, so I figured we'd spilt a pulled pork sandwich, something small just to truy it out.

Though Linda seemed pleased with her half I was unimpressed. Though snokey, there was little indication of rub and the meat was more chopped then pulled, I found it better suited as stock for either beans or perhaps a chilli.
On the road again, we veered from 12, and onto 123 south, through lovely downtown Drewsville ( blink and it's gone )

123 meanders through Alstead and Marlow before it joins with 9. It is an argicutrural areas so sometimes you just get stuck behind something like this
. and sometimes you will find some very unique things on the side of the road, like this
( thanks to Linda for both pictures. And you will get rustic New England shots like the one below

All told we had a great day and came up just 11 miles short of the two hundred mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,209,738 times
Great post and great pics.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,049,654 times
Great pictures & descriptions/info Dave!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,372,161 times
Those pics are making me homesick! Nice day, nice ride, nice pics!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,224,087 times
Awsome pics, Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,140,031 times
Great photos, Dave. The Monadnock Region really is full of hidden gems and it's a shame I haven't explored the area more. I think I'll have to make a trip or two this summer.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,440,656 times
Thank you, Dave and Linda, for the informative post and captivating photos.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 AM

369 posts, read 961,760 times
I gots to get me a motorcycle again. I miss taking those kinda trips.
Great pics, and post.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,900,877 times
Dave and Linda, that looks like an amazing place (have never even heard of it!) Thanks for sharing!!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,569,414 times
(Teasing ValC) - I can see the real estate add for the mansion. "Old Mansion on 400+ acres. Some repair required." That place must have been magnificent!

A good day and a good motorcycle are the best way to see New England. I will probably rejoin the M'clcle brigade in the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire