U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 AM

909 posts, read 2,865,148 times

Advertisements

We have these bushes all over our property. During the winter all the leaves were curled up and brown. Lately I've noticed that most of the leaves are nice and green. BUT, a good portion, usually on top, is still curled up and brown. Are they dead? Dormant? On close inspection I see that a single branch will have both nice green leaves and curled brown ones. The odd thing is that the brown leaves aren't dried up, just brownish orange.

Should I cut these off? Wait a while longer? None of the bushes have bloomed yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM

369 posts, read 825,089 times
Go ahead and cut 'em back. Rhodies are very hardy and will bounce back quickly.

At least the ones I have do.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 7,804,777 times
one thing about rhododendrons - they are VERY EASY - whatever you decide to do will work.

you can cut them back, but it's not necessary - if you leave the withered leaves, new growth will soon sprout from the tops of the branches and cover the withered part, which will eventually fall off

if you cut them back - they will come back
if you don't cut them back - they will come back

once upon a time I would trim the tops if they had winter kill, but I don't bother anymore - it just ended up making the bushes smaller and if I leave them alone, they come back fuller and better than ever

Old 05-01-2009, 05:13 AM

Wow, that hardy, eh? No wonder they're everywhere. Now when will they start blooming?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM

3,034 posts, read 7,804,777 times
they vary - there are hundreds of types of rhododendrons - I have a deep pink one that has huge buds right now and will probably bloom in June - another next to it, is pinkish white with tiny blossoms and blooms a couple of weeks after the pink one

there is a park in the western part of the state - the Rhododendron State Park in Rindge - if you can find the time to go, you should check it out - it's a great walk (very easy) - there you will see a complete variety of the flowering trees

16 acres of wild rhododendrons that tower over your head as tall as maples, with other varieties all around, that usually bloom mid-July - it's a fabulous place and you can learn a lot about them

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,752,396 times
I would recommend waiting till after bloom if you're going to do any pruning. Rhodies bloom on last years wood, so if you trim, first thing to go will be those potential blossoms. The other thing is that rhodies are an acid-loving plant, so if you have pines nearby, your soil is probably already acidic. If not, this could be part of what's ailing them--you might want to take a pH test on your soil and consider adding some pine needles around the base of the bushes a couple times a year.

I have 20+ year old rhodies planted way too close to my foundation, so I do trim them back every other year (they are dense and less than 6' tall) However, the ones that are planted away from the house are huge and spreading and have MOUNDS of flowers each year.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,752,396 times
Buck, would love to see pictures of your rhodies--please share

One of my favorite places to visit, and especially beautiful in May and June (when the rhododendrons, azaleas, and many other ornamental trees and shrubs are blooming) is Maudsley State Park in Newburypor MA. Located on the banks of the Merrimack River, the former Moseley family estate is open to the public to enjoy walking, biking, horse back riding trails. The park contains a mix of 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. In autumn it's equally spectaular with a mix of various maples, oaks, elm and evergreens. The only warning is that it's full of ticks at this time of year, especially of course the fields with long grass. Stick to the trails as much as possible, and do a thorough tick check when you're through. Enjoy if you go--it's a beautiful place

Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Wow Valerie! That is a amazing! As for pine needles, they're everywhere I was going to rake them away last fall but never got around to it. Glad to know they're good for something.

I'll take the majority advice and leave them alone until the blooming is done. I have no idea if there's anything wrong with them, the previous owner kinda let the bushes go hog wild. We trimmed and chopped stuff last fall, but pretty sure we left the rhodies alone.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,359,952 times
The cutting back trick works great for forsythia as well. If your bushes get to wispy...cut them back. If they are really overgrown...cut them back to within inches of the ground and in a few years they'll be REALLY dense.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 9,336,988 times
yeah, but if you're going to cut forsythia - it's best to cut them just after the blooms are gone, otherwise you cut off the buds for the following spring. That's about the only gardening tip I've ever maintained in my brown-thumbed brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire