Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,651 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has some insight on potentially where to relocate my family. I have recently taken a job that has me working in Gorham, Groveton, Gilman, VT, St. Johnsbury, Vt, and any other paper mill in this general area. As such, I can relocate to pretty much anywhere. We have looked at the Conway Area, Gorham, Lancaster, and Littleton. We have 2 children (4 and 20 mos) and come from a town in NORTHERN Maine (Madawaska) that is very tightly knit and has a nice residential community. We are looking for a town that has some good activities for children, a pre-K school system, and a residential area with children.

A lot to ask, I know We were wondering if any of the above towns seem to be a "good fit". The other obvious concern is real-estate, but we could just buy some land and build if need be (land is plentiful everywhere, just up to the $$$).

If anyone has any insight on these towns (NH preferred--tax free and all) and if they are good for families, it would be GREATLY Appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 14,879 times
Hi.
Jackson, NH is very nice and closest commute to Gorham, NH but a bit expensive to purchase a home. Bartlett, NH would also be a reasonable to commute at least to Gorham and the homes are priced diversely there. North Conway is not the worst commute to Gorham either, and prices also range widely here. Bartlett has the lowest of the 3 in property taxes. All 3 areas have good schools and pre-K programs. I have young children as well and relocated here from the Phoenix metro area in AZ. Please feel free to contact me with specific questions you have (I was born and raised here as well and know the area well)!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
I live in Lancaster now. And I Must say we have everything you are looking for. Including cheap housing and a good community. We have a great area for kids. I have 5 myself. And The school system is Excellent. I would defiantly recommend it to you. It is centrally located to all the places you mentioned work at. And the Hospital , Fire, Police, and Rescue services are Awesome. It is a close nit community as well. I must say I thought it a good move when Me and the family first came here, Now I Know it was a Very good decision.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have a house for sale in Lisbon, but it is probably too far from the remaining paper mills.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I have to agree with nhyrnut - Lancaster is a nice community. How about Dalton? It sits across the river from Gilman and his about halfway between Lancaster & Littleton.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If you are willing to consider Dalton, then I can recommend the Lisbon - Landaff area. Very quiet, very pretty. I'd live there myself if I could afford two homes. As I said, I have a small house for sale in Lisbon. PM me for details.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 15,651 times
Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe my wife and I have narrowed it down to the Lancaster area. The only problem we are having now is finding decent temporary living. We have a house to sell in northern Maine and until that sells, we need to rent. If anyone knows of a nice house or 2bd+ apartment, please send them this way!!!

Once Again,
Thanks for all the help!!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
I grew up in Groveton. NH and Lancaster was pretty run down back then (early 80's), didn't have many stores, etc. But now it seems to be thriving. Lots of nice downtown shops, a great main street plus some good stores and restaurants. Lancaster grew but seems to have kept the small town feel. Nice area for sure.

I think if I were moving back that area I would be targeting Lancaster.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealberts6101 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I believe my wife and I have narrowed it down to the Lancaster area. The only problem we are having now is finding decent temporary living. We have a house to sell in northern Maine and until that sells, we need to rent. If anyone knows of a nice house or 2bd+ apartment, please send them this way!!!

Once Again,
Thanks for all the help!!
Hi - I sent you a PM with two rentals listed in the local paper - wasn't sure if it could be posted "publicly" Welcome to the area!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:35 PM

157 posts, read 341,083 times
i would be interested in moving to new hampshire. I am looking for small city/town preferbly not to far from a college/university.
can you help me out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire