Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM

105 posts, read 357,857 times

Advertisements

I would definitely be installing a new tank and a new leach field. That leach field is filled with solids and as soon as you start using the system, it will start pooling.

Having just had a new septic tank and leach field installed within the last 7 months in the Monadnock region, I have some fairly up to date figures.

We paid Monadnock Septic Designs $1650 for the design, St of NH $150 for app fee, approx $4048 to Arthur Whitcomb in Keene for (2) 1,000 gal tanks and parts....the tanks were $725 each in that bill. Looking over our bill for site work that included the septic installation I would say it was between $4-$7K as far as I can estimate.

My husband did check with 2-3 installers and got a varied price range. Our last house that we built new 7 years ago with a new septic tank and the leach field was a Eljen Type-B In-Drain system. When it was opened for inspection last summer, the inspector asked my husband if we lived in the house part-time! We had only had the tank pumped once (just before listing it) and believe me it worked overtime with 3 girls, 2 of them teenagers and doing 2-3 loads of laundry practically every day and a dw running every other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
wow, NHRocky, you may have just made my day!!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 AM

7 posts, read 34,365 times
Thanks everyone for the discussion. Being a first time potential homeowner it is very helpful to read other people's experiences.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Wanna - at that price buy the property and worry about the septic system when you need to use it full time. Have the drinking water tested and if contaminated use it only for flushing the toilet and drink and cook with bottled water.

The Monadnock Water Co in on Rt 102 just east of Peterborough.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
I agree with Greg - that price is for the property, not necessarily the house - even with a new septic, leach bed and well, you are STILL FAR BELOW the average price of a home on 7 acres in NH.

"part of the problem I'm having with this farmhouse, is that we don't know anything about the well other than the bad report. We don't know where it is, how deep it is, I'm assuming it's dug (but I could be wrong). And the only way to find out any of this stuff is to put a contract on the house so we can investigate - without someone buying it out from under us!
"

you can always go to town hall and check a map of the property....sometimes the well, dry wells and septics are located on the maps

I had to do that when my well pump failed and I dug where I thought the well was, but it wasn't.....I ended up going to town hall and finding a revised plan for the location of the well.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Thanks, guys. Just got hte word that our offer was accepted. Now we need to get the financing in order and get the inspection done.

There are a few other issues with the farm, but they didn't seem like much of a big deal - unless Jerry finds something we can't tell. We know it needs painting outside. We know at least 2 ceilings need some new sheetrock (the plaster has failed and won't hold paint. but no sign of water damage). None of that is important. The water is gross. We can use bottled water for the little time we're around until it's fixed. The septic is first off.

Yes, Buck, we could check Town Hall - if we were in the area to get to town hall. From MD, we can't really do that. Hopefully DH will be able to go up for the inspection (wish I could, but I can't see it. too many bills to pay at work to take time off). Our agent has been through it and loved it. And for the price, even with the septic and well.... hey. we're so there.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
"Yes, Buck, we could check Town Hall - if we were in the area to get to town hall."

oops.... excuse the brain fart on my part.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM

no problem! <G>

It was a good idea, wish we could do that. We've got an inspection set for Mon 25.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM

121 posts, read 563,281 times
NHDeeds

Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelover View Post
I'm trying to purchase an antique house which currently has a cesspool (rock lined well, no tank) style septic system which was more common decades ago but not so much now with stricter EPA guidelines and what not. At the time of inspection the well level was at the top and there was seepage from overflow in the surrounding soil. My inspector gave the system a failing grade because of the seepage.

The seller admittedly not pumped the system for a number of years but just had it pumped and is now getting a second inspection done. My guess is that it may pass this time since the level will be lower and the surrounding soil is likely to have dried up.

I have no intention of getting nasty about the whole thing although I suppose that we could get a third opinion on the system from the State of NH in order to settle things once and for all. Chances are that I would walk away from the deal before getting to that point anyway, I just don't need the hassle and since cesspool septic systems while legal under some circumstances, appear to be of dubious acceptance in this day and age I don't want to take on a large potential liability like that.

I am wondering if anyone had any comments or ideas on this situation and how they might choose to handle it if they were in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
A Cesspool is basically an underground pit into which is discharged raw sewage or other untreated wastes and from which the liquid seeps or leaches into the surrounding soils.

Your Inspector is correct when he failed the system. RSA 485-A:2 defines failed as "the condition produced when a sub-surface sewage disposal system does not properly contain or treat sewage or cause or threaten to cause the discharge of sewage on the ground surface or into adjacent surface or ground waters".

Have no fear concerning a passing re-inspection with the pumping of the cesspool. Effluent levels are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to evaluating methodology. A qualified inspector or evaluator will find the signs of a failed system, water or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire