Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Wow look at the MA moonbat in here defending tax increases and spewing false information. They are so predictable.

Get a grip Mason, there is a huge exodus of conservatives moving to NH from MA. MA is a sinkhole that is going to bankrupt itself. Mark my words, MA will be bankrupt in 10 years.

So until then keep telling yourself how great MA is, I don't know who you're trying to convince us or you. We already know how much MA sucks.
I agree with you that Massachusetts has some fiscal issues that will make that state a ghost-town in the future. Their pension system alone will cost billions to fund. I bet in 10 years they will have an 8% sales tax and an income tax of close to 10%.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times
Though there are plenty of ways to make all of those points without resorting to insults as some on the thread have.

YMMV. NDQ

Old 05-23-2009, 06:35 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I agree with you that Massachusetts has some fiscal issues that will make that state a ghost-town in the future. Their pension system alone will cost billions to fund. I bet in 10 years they will have an 8% sales tax and an income tax of close to 10%.
Yes it will be the east coast's California.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:35 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Mass is following CA and I don't think it will take 10 yrs to catch up.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Mass is following CA and I don't think it will take 10 yrs to catch up.
I agree-I don't believe it will take 10 years either.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
I really think Mass opened up a can of worms by allowing for a "local tax option" on the rooms & meals tax of up to 2%. By allowing towns & cities to tax independent of the state the cities are going to ask that this power be expanded to the sales tax someday. Some cities, towns, and counties in the mid-west have sales taxes on the local level of almost 11% !!!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Common guys, with these obviosly well thought out plans, how can mass fail?

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

I think you get freecell phones too

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Common guys, with these obviosly well thought out plans, how can mass fail?

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

I think you get freecell phones too
I thought the free AAA membership was a nice touch. Imagine stopping to help someone whose car has broken down at the side of the road in MA. They say no thanks as AAA is on the way and thank you for wanting to help. It very well may be that you as a taxpayer have already helped if that person has a free car from the state of MA....

Old 06-06-2009, 06:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Property taxes are also a more stable form of revenue and they also provide a check/balance of sorts, reasoning:
- Property taxes are stable (ie, tons of people don't just suddenly leave) so a town can do better long term planning. Long term planning & resource stability is KEY to efficiency.

- Property taxes are very direct. You get a "your bill is this". It allows residents to very plainly see when their taxes go up and how EXACTLY it impacts them; as a result it provides a better incentive for resident involvement in government.

- Lastly, most towns have property tax adjustments for the elderly and sometimes for the poor. Additionally during a hard time residents may be able to workout a "payment plan" with their town. Also- residents have a very good idea of what their tax bill is going to be (barring rare exceptions), it easier to estimate future property taxes than to estimate future expenditures for goods & services.
I'm not criticizing the state of NH, as I love it and would love to live there and contribute. However, re: posters defending the property tax...their logic I don't follow.

To avoid sales tax, you can choose to buy fewer goods or buy them out of state. To lower income tax, you can work less or work out of state. But when you;re on a fixed income at, say, age 65, and your property taxes are now 5000-7000K or more a year and rising every year, do the math....what will they be like at age 70, 75, 80? Retirement income doesn't rise at the same rate (if at all) as fixed, inescapable expense. I also wonder about "saving thousands" in NH on car insurance and house insurance. I pay $80/month for my 2007 sedan, and $500/year for homeowner insurance with a $2500 deductible on a 1200 sq foot house. I can't see how that could be any cheaper in NH.

Cities & towns in Mass. are now heading into override votes. Can't wait!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm not criticizing the state of NH, as I love it and would love to live there and contribute. However, re: posters defending the property tax...their logic I don't follow.

To avoid sales tax, you can choose to buy fewer goods or buy them out of state. To lower income tax, you can work less or work out of state. But when you;re on a fixed income at, say, age 65, and your property taxes are now 5000-7000K or more a year and rising every year, do the math....what will they be like at age 70, 75, 80? Retirement income doesn't rise at the same rate (if at all) as fixed, inescapable expense. I also wonder about "saving thousands" in NH on car insurance and house insurance. I pay $80/month for my 2007 sedan, and $500/year for homeowner insurance with a $2500 deductible on a 1200 sq foot house. I can't see how that could be any cheaper in NH.

Cities & towns in Mass. are now heading into override votes. Can't wait!!!
It is similar to the sales tax situation. To avoid high property taxes, one can downsize to a property with lower property taxes or pay rent. Property taxes are an expense of owning a home, like utilities, insurance, etc. Many towns have discounted property tax for senior citizens. If the seniors own the home, they can get a reverse mortgage to help with their propery taxes and other expenses.

As for car insurance, I moved to NH from MA in 1995. The insurance for our two cars went from $2500/year to $1200/year. I was talking to my brother in law last year about car insurance and he pays over $5,000 per year for his three cars and I pay $2200. We have similar cars in value and teenage drivers (he has one, I have two).

As for home insurance, I don't believe there is much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire