Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,362 times

Advertisements

I will be going on a driving drip through VT and NH in a couple weeks and was wondering what is the "leeway" on speed limits and in general which towns or areas have the lowest gasoline prices? Out West, you are generally given a 10 mph cushion above the posted speed limit on interstates before your cited. Of course, this isn't the letter of the law, but it's what most people experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
It really depends, in my town on a road where doing 10 over is safe...you're fine; but if you're on one of the twisty roads- you're getting a ticket.

On the highway I've noticed a bit of a phenomenon, during my commute the average speed is 70-75 in a 55...and the cops do pull people over; but no-one really slows down since the cop usually only gets one person at a time (and targets the person doing something stupid usually). I've actually never seen this antelope mentality before (where everyone continues going fast and only the loaner gets caught) except here.

So in short, drive reasonably and safely and you should be fine.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,096 times
For where to find the cheapest gas -- check out this map: USA National Gas Temperature Map - GasBuddy.com

Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
there is no rhyme nor reason to getting pulled over in NH and no leeway on speed limits

I was pulled over in Northwood for going 5 miles UNDER the speed limit because of potholes and sucky roads

gas seems to be all priced within tencents statewide- currently it's $2.39 - $2.50 and rising

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I have been passed by cops on I-93 while doing 72 in a 65 zone. Just drive reasonably well and keep it less than 10 over and you should be OK. Frantic lane changing, tailgating, passing on two lanes out of a passing zone and, particularly, driving while intoxicated (by anything) will get you a HUGE fine.

My major driving sin is treating back roads, especially snow and ice covered back roads, as if they were a rally course. I usually can go 10 over the posted limit on snow and when the roads are dry, about 20 over.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Regarding gas, is it all E-enhanced now in NH and VT, or can you still get God's Gas?

It's almost all E-10 here, but there's one station that sells God's Gas. At a slight premium.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Regarding gas, is it all E-enhanced now in NH and VT, or can you still get God's Gas?

It's almost all E-10 here, but there's one station that sells God's Gas. At a slight premium.
There are actually a good number of stations that gas that do not contain ethanol and some that sell leaded gas as well. You can call Sunoco and other companies that make race gas blends and get a list (I have some posted in my garage at home). I believe a few even sell Methanol but it has to be dispensed into acceptable containers or bought in cans.

I actually like E-10; while its vaporization is poor in colder temperatures (requiring rich conditions) I've found it to be A LOT more consistant than blends containing MTBE. The only other issue is its desire to absorb water, but again this is a non-issue with proper storage.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,037 times
The non-highway roads are policed better than the highways. My teenage daughter was stopped doing 53 in a 30 mph zone on a country road. $100 fine, loss of license with a $50 charge to reinstate, and the insurance will be going up (all of which she will be paying).... Live and learn...
As for the highway, go 75 in a 65 zone and you'll usually be fine.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,381 times
I usually keep it just under 75 on I-93. Be careful on 93 though. There are lots of pullouts for cops where they are totally concealed from you by trees until the very last minute.

Also, I've noticed them sitting in places where two highways merge and the speed drops (i.e 93-101) and getting people who don't slow down.

I've definitely noticed me cops around this year than last.....must be trying to pay for the increased government spending.

/love the antelope analogy btw.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
There are actually a good number of stations that gas that do not contain ethanol and some that sell leaded gas as well. You can call Sunoco and other companies that make race gas blends and get a list (I have some posted in my garage at home). I believe a few even sell Methanol but it has to be dispensed into acceptable containers or bought in cans.

I actually like E-10; while its vaporization is poor in colder temperatures (requiring rich conditions) I've found it to be A LOT more consistant than blends containing MTBE. The only other issue is its desire to absorb water, but again this is a non-issue with proper storage.
Kewlness, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
The non-highway roads are policed better than the highways. My teenage daughter was stopped doing 53 in a 30 mph zone on a country road. $100 fine, loss of license with a $50 charge to reinstate, and the insurance will be going up (all of which she will be paying).... Live and learn...
As for the highway, go 75 in a 65 zone and you'll usually be fine.
Oops, going 23 over in a town zone is something I try to avoid. Civic pride, civic donation$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I usually keep it just under 75 on I-93. Be careful on 93 though. There are lots of pullouts for cops where they are totally concealed from you by trees until the very last minute.

Also, I've noticed them sitting in places where two highways merge and the speed drops (i.e 93-101) and getting people who don't slow down.

I've definitely noticed me cops around this year than last.....must be trying to pay for the increased government spending.

/love the antelope analogy btw.
Coming in from The Peoples Republic on the Everett, I've frequently seen or detected cops right around that first big arching curve to the left. Nice hideout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire