U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,042,882 times

Advertisements

Here's something about a Smart Grid pilot in Mass....I am wondering about the affiliation between National Grid and Smart Grid, since I have begun to see National Grid trucks around locally. Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with National Grid power in NH? Hopefully this does not belong in the politics thread, although it could become a political discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
I send my money to Public Service of New Hampshire. I have no idea where they get the electricity but they charge me 5 cents a KW-HR to deliver it and the 10 cents they pay for it as well as some extras. I think 16 cents per KW-hr to be quite high.

I have heard of national Grid but do not know who they are or where they operate.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 AM

They are digging in Nashua, so I am assuming they will be operating there if not already.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,480,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Here's something about a Smart Grid pilot in Mass....I am wondering about the affiliation between National Grid and Smart Grid, since I have begun to see National Grid trucks around locally. Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with National Grid power in NH? Hopefully this does not belong in the politics thread, although it could become a political discussion.
National Grid is a power company, I have no idea if they are decent or not. They are unrelated to smart grid except that they upgrading one of their existing service areas to one in MA as a pilot.

Smart Grid on the other hand is a new design for the power grid and it uses some very neat technology to provide power in a more efficient and resiliant way. It is also better designed to work with renewable energy and allow consumers to see a more dramatic savings from their energy saving efforts.

Wikipedia has a decent write-up on what a Smart-Grid is:
Smart grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 AM

I'd wondered whether national grid was going to offer a similar service to the pilot in Nashua. Just keeping my eyes open, since I prefer to adjust my own thermostat, etc. and do not want anyone else deciding what level of power I should use and at what cost. Would sooner go 'off the grid' completely than agree to that.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Just keeping my eyes open, since I prefer to adjust my own thermostat, etc. and do not want anyone else deciding what level of power I should use and at what cost. Would sooner go 'off the grid' completely than agree to that.
Lisa,

That's actually not how it works at all, after you posted this I contacted a friend who has "smart-grid" service as well as a buddy at DoE.

They do not control your thermostat or "spy" on your power usage anymore than the current power company (you know, the "spy" who comes to your house and reads your meter). What they will do is install an adjustable thermostat for you (I already have one) so that you can program it based on your needs; most people who don't get them don't because of the cost/installation...this removes that difficulty. Likewise the meter-reading is done electronically- saves you having "estimated" bills in the winter, having someone come to your property, and you can see your power usage at any given time/make changes as warrented.

Likewise peak/off-peak prices are fairly standard; thats nothing new...

My buddy who is on a smart-grid said he saves about $40/month now because the smart meter let them better track their energy usage and adjust. They got a programmable thermostat and a programmable water heater control...and saved $$$ with hotter showers...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks BF. I will have to do more research on this.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM

No problem. Be aware that a HUGE portion of the bad press out there is because "Meters will be able to be read remotely" or "the power company will be able to monitor exactly how much power I'm using"

I personally find this hilarious because right now meters are read one of 2 ways:
-Remotely via short-range radio (ie, the reader parks at end of driveway, gets reading- moves on)
-In person (reader walks up to your house, reads meter, walks away)

Likewise the power company OWNS the power meter; they have always been able to tell exactly how much power you are using whenever they want to...thats how they bill you.

The amount of mis-information is scary!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

625 posts, read 2,252,599 times
National Grid is more into distribution/transmission, and deals mainly in MA, CT, RI and NY, not as much in NH. I'm still trying to find out what towns they serve. But apparently NG has gas and electric in their NH service areas.

http://www2.nationalgridus.com/custo...r/account/open

The signup lists have dropdowns for which towns are served by NG. Looks like mostly southern/southeastern NH.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

I am aware that the meter is and has always been read by the power co. coming to my house. I'm not *that* paranoid Nothing to hide. Just do not want limitations on my power consumption when it is decided by someone other than myself that I have consumed enough, and after as much reading as I had time for today I am not convinced that smart grid would not be exactly that. But this probably belongs in the 'politics and controversies' thread. It is not my intention to make the NH mods nervous. I knew that national grid is doing the smart grid pilot, and when I saw their trucks around thought I would post here hoping to get more local info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire