U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM

91 posts, read 216,756 times

Advertisements

We have two indoor water parks at a couple of local hotels (Hampton Inn and Suites and the Red Jacket). I believe the Red Jacket has local days where local families can play for a low price.

No problem, glad I could help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM

261 posts, read 601,711 times
Do any of you know anything about Farm By the River B&B? I have some friends who are looking at going up to North Conway right before Christmas and are considering a stay there. North Conway NH Lodging, Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast, horseback riding stables

Thanks yet again.

P.S. Thanks for the water park info. I just saw that post.

Last edited by MtnFlyer; 09-11-2008 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 AM

91 posts, read 216,756 times
You couldn't have picked a prettier part of Conway. Westside Road has some of the most spectacular views and is near Echo Lake State Park and Cathedral Ledge. I've heard only good things about that B&B, but I've never been there myself.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM

46 posts, read 186,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I wanted to start this thread because I don't think there is one exactly like this, and there is one in the Iowa forum like this, so I thought it would be interesting to have one about NH. I just want the good or bad perspective or both of people familiar with the state, who live there or have lived there or who have lived close, etc. I'm from Iowa/ Minnesota and have never even been to NH, but I am interested in the state and views on it. I have much enjoyed reading the NH part of the forum, and it was very informative, and I'm not looking for specific info, just any views in general.
I spent 45 years of my life in NH and I loved it. I lived in Dover NH and I was
no more than 1/2 hr from the beach. I hour from the Mountains or Boston.
I have country, culture, mountains and the ocean all within 1 hrs ride. The
scenery is wonderful. The people are nice. I think the schools are as good as they are anywhere. ONE problem..as you get older the snow gets hard to deal with. Although it is beautiful and I miss it I probably would only want to deal with it for about 3 days. Just long enough to get those photos of a glistening new snow. If it wasn't for the cold weather 7 months of the year I would have never left.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:36 PM

2,158 posts, read 2,703,574 times
I was born and raised in Rochester. I lived in N.H for 47 years. I honestly dont think there's a nicer place to live. The thing l liked the most about N.H. was the changing of the seasons. If you have the ability to embrace wintertime activities you'll be in heaven. There is everything you'll need there. Mountains, lakes and your not to far from the ocean. I moved down here 8 years ago and miss everything about N.H. I miss the quality of life and the people the most. The majority of the people i know in N.H. are "Real" and thats a quality you dont find to many other places. I am counting the days until i move back to N.H. for good.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 186,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I was born and raised in Rochester. I lived in N.H for 47 years. I honestly dont think there's a nicer place to live. The thing l liked the most about N.H. was the changing of the seasons. If you have the ability to embrace wintertime activities you'll be in heaven. There is everything you'll need there. Mountains, lakes and your not to far from the ocean. I moved down here 8 years ago and miss everything about N.H. I miss the quality of life and the people the most. The majority of the people i know in N.H. are "Real" and thats a quality you dont find to many other places. I am counting the days until i move back to N.H. for good.
My dad lived on Cemetary Rd in Rochester. I miss it too but would never move back there to stay. I have adjusted well to a warmer climate.
But it is a great place if you don't mind the winters.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:27 PM

261 posts, read 601,711 times
Thank you for the information on the B&B. I passed it on. From what I've read about the town, I can only imagine Christmas in Conway is pretty awesome.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM

194 posts, read 752,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily of the valley View Post
Hello!
I lived in the Mt. Washington Valley area for a total of 11 years. The first time around, I worked in the hotels, so I can tell you all sorts of touristy things about North Conway, etc. The second time around I worked at a place where we helped people find jobs.

I've lived in Pinkham Notch ("Downtown Pinkham" lol), Glen, Intervale, North Conway, and Conway. My favorite is probably Conway because if you chose the right place, you can get in and out of town and avoid traffic easily. Conway is still close enough to the mountains, yet close to the roads that lead to Southern NH and Maine. The times I lived in NC, I had to plan my days according to tourist traffic. It just became a way of life, though.

I don't live up there any longer, but I cannot even begin to tell you how much I miss the mountains. I miss how Mt. Washington looks different every time you see it. I miss seeing the mountains at sunrise. I miss seeing them at sunset. I miss the random streams you can stick your feet in on a hot summer day on your way home from work. I miss all the quiet 'hiding spots' I found over the years - on the fringes of the hills, others deep in the mountains.

Oh I could go on and on and on.

Not sure if someone answered this already? There's one public high school, in Conway.

There is plenty to do up there. Lots of local music, concerts, arts & crafts shows, tons of shopping of course, much hiking and sight-seeing and skiing and canoeing and camping and lots and lots of activities for children.

Finding a decent job is a bit tougher, but it's better than it used to be. Just takes some patience. Okay, lots of patience...

-Lily
Why'd you have to move? I like what you say about the moutains- in the photos of NH I've seen they are just so lovely. I'd miss them too. I am attached to the limestone bluffs of my native Iowa, so I get your geographic attachment to NH's mountains.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

41 posts, read 92,543 times
As a former resident. Don't try to move there and buy real estate, especially if it is for a business and check the tax rates for the town you plan to live in. They are all different. We lived in Ashland and bought a self storage business there. The taxes were $47.00 per thousand of assessed valuation and they assess at full value. I have lived in Calif where I grew up and Hawaii and both of those states are much cheaper to live in if you are not on Oahu or Maui. Property taxes are only 10 to 20% of what we paid in Ashland. Motto "Live Free or Die" really means that if you are a renter, you live free. ( no state sales or income tax) and if you own property, you pay for the roughly 50% of the people in the state that are renters who get a free ride. You never see that when you look up cost of living information about the state as it averages the cost between all residents. With no consumer taxes, there is not enough money to maintain roads (that's why so many toll roads) and most secondary roads are terrible with pot holes everywhere and frost heaves that can swallow a car or launch it into orbit. Your car will be consumed by salt and wages are poor. Most of the small towns have a very unfriendly government firmly rooted into the old boy system and are not too kindly to outsiders. I did find the average citizen very friendly and helpful but not true of the town hall employees. Great things are Lobstah!!! Fall foliage. fresh air and wonderful mountain type summers. I am not a winter person living in the tropics for so many years. Growing up in Northern Calif, I am just not used to paying to drive most everywhere as out west they have FREEways and snow is something you go to so you at least have an option and heat is either natural gas, solar or other piped to your house energy. not stinky oil or coal.
A lot to think about before you make the move.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,113,290 times
obviously you haven't been back to NH in quite a while.

Absolutely, check out the towns, especially the taxes as they are different! definitely do your homework and visit and research before moving. but......

all the tolls? there's tolls on I93. and where else? hardly any roads have tolls!

Potholes? sure in the spring. but they fix them every year. NH has much better roads than other New England states.

What on earth makes you think that renters 'live free'? just because they don't receive a tax bill? got news for you: no landlord is going to eat those taxes and not pass them on in the rent. renters pay, they just pay differently. so this business about 50% of the people paying for the other 50% is bunk. How old were you when you left NH? Maybe you were too young to be aware!

btw: if your heating system was stinky, there was something wrong with it. Can't say as I've ever noticed any odor in any of the oil heated homes I've been in/lived in.

Small towns are small towns. You'll find that everywhere. the People in NH are generally very friendly and helpful. don't expect to be immediately welcomed and embraced, you have to earn it. But that means when you do, it's much more honest than what you find in other areas (who smile to your face and stab you in the back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire