Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BannerStateBound View Post
agree with all of that an add outrageous property taxes!
I would however change #9 on your "worst" list. I am very glad that New Hampshire doesn't have more welfare. I'm from Mass and the welfare state has ruined that state. The only thing that will keep NH from completely transforming into Mass is keeping social services to a minimum.
Here are the equalized tax rates for NH. Many people commute from the Lakes Region to southern NH. The Lakes Region has much more affordable property taxes.
http://www.cnht.org/pdf/TaxRateEqualizedNH.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,651 times
Default Would like to move to NH but don't know where

Hi I am a recent Naturopathic Doctor from Seattle. I have never been to NH or Boston but would like to move and start a family practice there. If you were me, where in NH would you move to and why? This would at least give me a starting point where to look for.

Any other advice would also be appreciated

Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungND View Post
Hi I am a recent Naturopathic Doctor from Seattle. I have never been to NH or Boston but would like to move and start a family practice there. If you were me, where in NH would you move to and why? This would at least give me a starting point where to look for.

The best area to dertmine what you are looking for is to examine where new growth is occurring within the state of NH or what towns in particular need a niche to be filled that offers the best match for your practice. In terms of percentage population growth Strafford county has the highest rate at just under 10% while the next two highest growth areas are in the rural north-central part of the state (Grafton and Carroll counties). The best way to get a good feel of the area and to target potential towns would be a physical trip of the area. Coming from Seattle, the biggest differences you will note in costs would be property taxes and energy costs. Both are higher than Washington state. Overall cost of living would likely be comprable with real estate costs being less.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 AM

93 posts, read 167,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungND View Post

It does depend what kind of life you are looking for, do you want to live in/near a city? Do you want to live in the country, surrounded by mountains? Giving your job I'd say a safe bet would be in the Concord area south to Nashua/Salem, either in one of the cities or a neighboring rural community.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
[FONT=&quot]I wanted to begin this thread because I don't believe there is one accurately like this, and there is one in the Iowa forum like this, so I consideration it would be interesting to have one about NH. [/FONT]

Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
Love it!!!!!

after 45 years of NJ NH is awesome.

but we all knew that already, didn't we......

Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM

247 posts, read 538,052 times
What about the high rate of alcohol consumption?Gotta wonder about having liquor stores as a rest area.Is it good?Seriously

Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM

219 posts, read 366,450 times
The liquor stores were built on the highways to sell discount liquor and wine to tourists. I would guess that few nh residents use the highway liquor stores because they are actually quite inconvenient unless you are traveling the interstate.

You would need to get on the interstate, get off at the liquor store, get back on the interstate, go through a toll booth (in most cases), get off the interstate, change direction, get back on the interstate, go through the tool booth again, then get back off the interstate and drive home all for a bottle of booze - not really much of a relative impetus when there is a grocery store, bar or liquor store in most towns nationwide

NH does have a high rate of binge drinking but was also recently rated the second healthiest state in the country behind only neighboring vermont. Personally I consider drug and alcohol use to be a personal choice - you can ingest any substance that you want as long as you are responsible and dont affect my liberty.

http://www.americashealthrankings.or...summary/NH.pdf

Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Love it!!!!!

after 45 years of NJ NH is awesome.

but we all knew that already, didn't we......
I'd have to agree with you there. Theres really no place i'd rather live.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 AM

497 posts, read 952,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
What about the high rate of alcohol consumption?Gotta wonder about having liquor stores as a rest area.Is it good?Seriously

Wee dotn drunk that muchhhhh. It'zzz berry imcombeenyent to haze to driv all the waaaaa out 2 the inderstade too gets a nu botleee. Most off us blew hour hone boose...........ands goes shwimmin ins the seement pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire