Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:29 AM

151 posts, read 817,293 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to So NH and have gotten some pretty good feedback on areas and such from the other threads. What I am curious about are the choices you have in your respective areas.

I'm an IT contractor so I've been a lot of places. Some of the advantages of being in North Atlanta where we are now or North Dallas where we are from, are the number of restaurants and stores (grocery, etc) in our area. We also lived in Lancaster Pa for a time and really got accustomed to the fresh Amish produce stands and farmers markets everywhere (corn, strawberries, apples, baked goods, cheeses).

So where do you guys in SoNh shop/eat? Shaw's, Stop & Shop, Hannafords, etc? We basically stick to Kroger or Publix down south. Giants and Wegmen's were popular when we were in the Pa area.

What are some of your favorite places to eat (mom & pop or chain)? I am kinda partial to Mexican/Tex-mex, and Italian. My wife can't wait for the fresh NE sea food (Maine lobster, NE clam chowder).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
The Hannaford markets are really nice a lot different that Krogers. In the summers you can pick fruit all over. Apples, peaches, strawberries. blueberries, rasberries, pumpkins and lots of other stuff. I freeze fruit and eat it all year long. There are lots of fairs and festivals through December. Really great Ice cream all over. You can buy fresh fish all over too. New Hampshire is a great place to live. I came from California and have lived all over the country. We like it here best...

Carrie

Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,934 times
There are several Chains here in NH. 1 is owned by Food Lion. Maybe 2 but I know at least 1 is. Where you go all depends on what you want to pay, and the quality of the food you want. I wouldn't go to Super Walmart for FRESH Fruit or Veggies. But I wouldn't go to Shaw's, for cheap Milk either. So It is all up to the buyer. There is plenty to choose from. I think Manchester, Bedford area has 5 or 6 Different Grocery stores alone.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiley1221 View Post
So where do you guys in SoNh shop/eat? Shaw's, Stop & Shop, Hannafords, etc? We basically stick to Kroger or Publix down south. Giants and Wegmen's were popular when we were in the Pa area.
My family and total strangers I heard on the plane all say they prefer Market Basket. I think the main problem with Hannaford's is cost (I shop at Giant down here in MD).

As to restaraunts, my parents like the Lobster Boat and Yo Mama's which I think are both in or near Merrimack. In New Ipswich (yeah, on everyone's route!) there's a nice little local diner called Irena's: big portions, good price.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM

117 posts, read 485,755 times
There's a new restaurant in Manchester called Piccolla's and the owners are from the North End of Boston, where all the local Italian restaurants are, and it is supposed to be very good. Ya Mamma's in Merrimack is very good.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Default Oh, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
My family and total strangers I heard on the plane all say they prefer Market Basket. I think the main problem with Hannaford's is cost (I shop at Giant down here in MD).

As to restaraunts, my parents like the Lobster Boat and Yo Mama's which I think are both in or near Merrimack. In New Ipswich (yeah, on everyone's route!) there's a nice little local diner called Irena's: big portions, good price.
Market Basket beats all of them, hands down for price and good quality in groceries. In season, there area a few fruit/veggie stands around. Brookdale Farm in Hollis (on Rt. 30) has pick your own (lots of places do, but I always went to Brookdale) blueberries and raspberries. A few places on the same road also have pick your own strawberries. Apple orchards a'plenty, also with pick your own if you choose to do so. Brookdale has Annabelle's home made ice cream. If you're there, you must stop and get a cone for the drive home. Merrimack has two good ice cream stands. King Kone is a landmark. When they open, you know spring has arrived! In merrimack, we don't go by the calendar, we go by the opening of King Kone for the season. There's also a good mexican restaurant there, and there's also Shorty's on 101. Good stuff.
Many good restaurants all over.

I'll second that for Yo Mama's - it's very popular. Of course, as far as seafood goes, there is NONE like the Lobster Boat in Merrimack! It has to be the best for miles around. Even beats Weathervane in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Brookdale Farm in Hollis (on Rt. 30) has pick your own (lots of places do, but I always went to Brookdale)

You know Hardy's!!! that's around the corner from where I grew up. Lull's Farm is also a good place for fresh fruit, it's just up the road from Brookdale. Mrs. Lull was a bridge partner of my mom's and now a neighbor runs the farm.

I'll second that for Yo Mama's - it's very popular. Of course, as far as seafood goes, there is NONE like the Lobster Boat in Merrimack! It has to be the best for miles around. Even beats Weathervane in my opinion.
Weathervane, I think I've heard my parents mention that one too (my mother is sick of cooking and my father, who would enjoy it, can't stand long enough to do any so they eat out a lot)

Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 AM

29 posts, read 245,555 times
We shop Market Basket for the best prices on regular grocery stuff. WalMart for dog food, cleaning supplies, etc.
Shaw's is when you just need milk or for the Friday special sale items at a good price.

Eating out - Plenty of chain places around like Applebees, TGIFridays, Outback, Olive Garden, Chili's, etc. Newick's in Merrimack and Dover(?) for seafood. King Kone in Merrimack for soft-serve ice cream (don't order a large! It's HUGE).
There are lots of places to choose from and everyone has their favorites for different reasons. We eat out with 3 kids, so our choices would be different than a couple with no kids.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDeb View Post
We shop Market Basket for the best prices on regular grocery stuff. WalMart for dog food, cleaning supplies, etc.
Shaw's is when you just need milk or for the Friday special sale items at a good price.

Eating out - Plenty of chain places around like Applebees, TGIFridays, Outback, Olive Garden, Chili's, etc. Newick's in Merrimack and Dover(?) for seafood. King Kone in Merrimack for soft-serve ice cream (don't order a large! It's HUGE).
There are lots of places to choose from and everyone has their favorites for different reasons. We eat out with 3 kids, so our choices would be different than a couple with no kids.
Oh, NHDeb, I forgot Newicks. How could I forget that? We've eaten there a lot, and it's good but prices have been creeping up so we don't go there as often. You're right, too about WalMart for the usual stuff, and Shaw's for their loss leaders. I found at Shaw's that if produce is on special, it wasn't so special any more, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM

151 posts, read 817,293 times
Can't wait to try out the great Italian places up there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire