Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times

Advertisements

They used to go for $300/pelt. Most recently I've heard $70.
Not sure how current that information is or what all is required of the pelt to fetch that price.

I saw one of mine this morning, ran like heck as soon as it saw me. I am definitely appreciating the reduction in small rodents around our place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
New here, and just driving my post count. I have seen only 2 fischer, one was running like mad across Rt 16 north of Wolfboro NH. The other was more interesting.

I was 'still' hunting in Jackson for deer, and this 'thing' I couldn't see charged me, stirring up leaves to the point I couldn't tell what it was at first. This was a bit un-nerving to me. So in self defence I took aim with a old Winchester thudy thudy and let fire.. The intent was to 'dust' the beast, since I didn't think I could eat it, and I still had no idea what was.

Well that shot did it, and the beast jumped clear of the forest floor to where I could see it, and it was a fischer. It was in a really bad mood, but otherwise unharmed, and since I was too as it wrecked my hunt, we both went off out own ways.

The only other creature that did anything like that to me was when I was a young Yankee Lad messing with Fla gators.. I won't ever play with them again either!

As to mice bring on anything that will get them! Since last summer it has been on mouse nest after another stuffin up my defrosters.. I gave up victor traps for a bucket trap, this has been a big problem.

One day last fall I cleaned up the bucket trap and left it out to dry. During the night it rained and the next morning there were more drowned mice in the bucket, and it wasn't even baited. I don't like that method much, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
From NH F&G

Quote:
Fishercats" are blamed for dozens of missing cats each year. Do they eat cats? Sure, as do foxes, coyotes, owls and -- more likely -- a local SUV. It is the nature of a housecat injured on a highway to seek a hiding place to die, but you can bet a "fishercat" will be blamed for its disappearance. In 1979 and 1980, Fish and Game collected more than 1,000 fisher and checked their stomach contents to determine what they had been feeding on. Cat hair was found in exactly...one!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM

fishnfool, That might be right, but you can't just trust F&G either.

Oncet, I worked at a B&B in Jackson, and had this little bear problem.

For better than several Fridays nights Bear would come to the B&B, and tear at the chicken houses, and kill chickens. This occured on just friday nights and I was havin' hissey fits that kids from New York City would feed the bears a bit more than any city kid might think. If you get my drift.

Repeatedly I called F&G, and they told me it was a raccoon problem. Well maybe but one of them coons was about 5 feet tall and weighed about 350 pounds dry.

F&G brought out a lectric fence too, and scoffed at me over my mentioning the fence needed be a bit over knee high.

Finally it rained enough to soften the dirt enough to leave a clear track, and I covered so many as I had milk crates, and called F&G again.

I got me sum smarts and told em come see these big coon tracks.

Course when they got there they told me I was wrong, as usual, and these were BEAR tracks..

They caught the little one and took it for a ride to Colebrook I guess.

Last time i saw the big one i was about 6 feet behind it shootin a .44 on horse back and when it went over Tyrol, I stopped the chase.

That shebar neva' did venture on back.. And No I wasN'T trying to shoot that bear..

I did have a cat problem but that was yotes. Nuther tail for another day.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,468 times
Default fisher cat and small children

well let's chase one down and offer it up as your small child's pet. What will we do about the razor sharp claws, sharp teeth and its ability to tire its prey out before killing it. Hope your child has been training!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcgreg View Post
What will we do about the razor sharp claws, sharp teeth and its ability to tire its prey out before killing it. Hope your child has been training!
You mean like a ferret?

Fairly sure a Fisher is indeed just a larger version...

Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
Quote:
What will we do about the razor sharp claws, sharp teeth and its ability to tire its prey out before killing it. Hope your child has been training!
you mean just like a house cat?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 14,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
you mean just like a house cat?
Did the kitty scratch you once?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Default But on the other hand...

OK, gonna play Devil's Advocate.... We take them into our homes and love them like our children, but if they DO bite one of their human family members, don't mess around--get to the doctor for some antibiotics IMMEDIATELY. Unlike a dog bite, a cat's tooth is sharp and needle-like, and their teeth naturally have a nasty bacteria that gets into the bloodstream rather quickly. Cat bites don't tend to bleed much, and that's part of the reason that a wound starts to fester almost immediately. I've never been seriously bitten, but I've witnessed a co-worker's hand getting mauled by a seriously ANGRY cat, and 2 days later she had a pic line of antibiotics. And this was a vet tech who scrubbed immediately after the bite. Cat scratches have potential for infection, but declawing should NEVER be an option, since it's well-documented that declawed cats bite much more often than their fully-clawed brethren.

Even a happy and well-fed domestic cat remains the ultimate predator. I found this article from Fosters.com to be quite interesting: (read the entire article here): Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

Wild predators impact wildlife numbers, but domestic cats cause plenty of damage to songbird populations. This spring as usual, phoebes returned, and reused a beam-sitting nest in our garage. They hatched a brood of hungry heads. One morning, I found a young bird dead on the garage floor. The nesting adult lay nearby. All other young birds were dead in the nest. Muddy cat tracks covered the hood of my truck. CSI said a night-roving cat had laid its claim, and left phoebe destruction in its path.

Consider this from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS): "Americans keep an estimated 60 million cats as pets. Let's say each cat kills only one bird a year. That would mean that cats kill over 60 million birds (minimum) each year — more wildlife than any oil spill. Scientific studies actually show that each year, cats kill
hundreds of millions of migratory songbirds. In 1990, researchers estimated that 'outdoor' house cats and feral cats were responsible for killing nearly 78 million small mammals and birds annually in the United Kingdom."

The USFWS reminds
Foster's readers that, "Cats are a serious threat to fledglings, birds roosting at night and birds on a nest. Research shows that de-clawing cats and bell collars do not prevent them from killing birds and other small animals. For healthy cats and wild birds, cats should not be allowed to roam free." Any questions?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM

No can't say as I would reccomend bringing any wild life into a home... I have a buddy that does re-hab on wounded wildlife, and even the house tame coons come to be wilder and will bite..

This tends to happen of the instant... The coon is roundin up yer legs like a house cat on second and tearin' into you the next as if you were a hamburger, and they are mean while thar' at it.

Just don't attract wildlife with baits or foods, or sloppy waste habits and the wild life will still come and pass by.

Don't humanize wild life. Every time someone does that the wild life ends up dead.

What was once cute and cuddly looking becomes a monster to be killed and that happens here all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire