Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to New England and were originally thinking about Maine, but more and more we are leaning towards New Hampshire. There seem to be better schools, more job opportunities and less xenophobia. Our first choice would be to work in the state we live obviously, but just in case we want to keep all options open in all New England job markets. To maximize job opportunities can anyone tell me what towns are withing commuting to Boston? Are there trains available or does everyone drive? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM

29 posts, read 244,899 times
You might need to define "commuting distance".
It also depends on what part of Boston you are talking about.

We live in Merrimack and my husband commutes about 45 miles each way (to a location about 20 minutes outside -north- of Boston) and it runs 45 mins to 1hr depending on traffic.
For some, that type of commute is horrible to even consider but for us has almost always been the norm.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:14 PM

For us an hour or so has been the norm as well. But with traffic and congestion where we are now 1 1/2 to 2 is becoming the norm and we are trying to cut down on that. Your husband's commute is definitely doable by comparison!

I was looking at properties in New Ipswich...it seems like a good place to live. Any thoughts on there? How are the schools and family vibe?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 80,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
For us an hour or so has been the norm as well. But with traffic and congestion where we are now 1 1/2 to 2 is becoming the norm and we are trying to cut down on that. Your husband's commute is definitely doable by comparison!

I was looking at properties in New Ipswich...it seems like a good place to live. Any thoughts on there? How are the schools and family vibe?

Thanks!
New Ipswich is almost 70 miles from Boston...that commute would have to be near 2 hours during rush hour

Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM

205 posts, read 942,897 times
From the seacoast, you can take Amtrak in to Boston from Exeter, or drive to Newburyport and take the computer train or even take the CJ Trailways bus from Portsmouth into Boston.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontank View Post
New Ipswich is almost 70 miles from Boston...that commute would have to be near 2 hours during rush hour

I just realized that shortly after posting...but the Dover area seems nice and there are trains into Boston...so we moved on now...LOL

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
Quote:
I was looking at properties in New Ipswich...it seems like a good place to live. Any thoughts on there? How are the schools and family vibe?Thanks!
Well, it also depends on why exactly you want to be commuting to Boston. for a job, it tends to be nearly an hour of traffic commute, and yes NI is about 2 hours away.

However, we're in the process of buying land in NI, and I lived there in the '60s. It's a nice town, right on the border, still has a small town feel to it in spite of that. The taxes are low, the school is.... moderate (I won't lie: could be better, could be worse). All the people I've encountered have been very nice.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I live in Londonderry, NH and use the Concord Trailways bus to commute to downtown Boston. I leave early to go and return and avoid most of the traffic. Takes about 50 to 60 min. each way. there is a new station at the I-93 Exit 4 Park & Ride lot.

We moved to Londonderry 25 years ago when I worked in Lawrence, MA. It was an affordable town. Compared with the inner suburbs of Boston, it still is. Check this town. It has great schools, good library and protected open space.

Real estate prices seem to have stabilized and there are many houses available. Check Realator.com. We may have a unit or two available in my condominium - Rolling Meadows (2 Clubhouse Lane) - you can find the office in the yellow pages.

Welcome to NH.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM

21 posts, read 80,890 times
Quote:
...the Dover area seems nice and there are trains into Boston...so we moved on now...LOL

You should also look at Pelham...that's only about 30-35 miles from Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire