Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 AM

11 posts, read 35,917 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Hudson Nh? I have been looking at alot of towns in Nh. My husband is possibly getting a job in Merrimack. Hudson so far looks like they have property taxes that aren't as insane as other towns. I have looked at ( Goffstown,merrimack,nashua etc..) We are looking to buy a house betwenn 200,000-330,000 and the taxes to be no more that 5500. How are the schools in Hudson? I have 2 kids 6 and 10. What grade does the elem school go up to? I am in Va and elem. goes up to 5th grade. I 've noticed that some of your schools start middle school in 5th grade. Is there shopping near by? trash pick up? anything else? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM

680 posts, read 2,432,049 times
Greatschools.net Search: hudson

Unfortunately, lower property taxes in a state with no income or sales tax may not buy you the school you want. The money has to come from somewhere. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,496 times
Hudson aint a bad town - has decent stores, but Nashua is close and has much more to offer entertainment wise. Alvirne's not exactly the best high school though.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,717 times
I second NH2008 with one addition:

In general you will find that towns with good schools generally have higher property taxes, however higher property taxes don't necessarily mean the town has good schools.

Be aware that compared to VA, despite the higher property taxes the overall tax burden is lower. NH has no sales tax (only a meals/lodging tax on restaurant food) compared to 5% in VA, it has no state income tax compared to 5.75% in VA, and I've found the "car tax" to be less (~25% less or so on a 2 year old Mini Cooper as my sample).

I generally play the "what can I afford" game very conservatively, but not sure if you've accounted for any of these when comparing property tax rates.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,652 times
Default Hudson NH

Great Town, great elementary school and the high school the principal is great and very caring. He cares for the school and the students. The staff are great and caring. If your child needs help, they are there to help. there are four elementary schools and the staff are great and the teachers are fantastic. I had an opportunity to substitute in these elementary schools. The middle school does need some improvement.

The real estate taxes are high, but I love the town and their people. Some enough to know everyone and be part of a community.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 AM

557 posts, read 1,349,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd30 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Hudson Nh? I have been looking at alot of towns in Nh. My husband is possibly getting a job in Merrimack. Hudson so far looks like they have property taxes that aren't as insane as other towns. I have looked at ( Goffstown,merrimack,nashua etc..) We are looking to buy a house betwenn 200,000-330,000 and the taxes to be no more that 5500. How are the schools in Hudson? I have 2 kids 6 and 10. What grade does the elem school go up to? I am in Va and elem. goes up to 5th grade. I 've noticed that some of your schools start middle school in 5th grade. Is there shopping near by? trash pick up? anything else? Thanks so much.
I just moved from Hudson to Bedford, NH. This is my opinion and interested to hear other peoples opinions!

My fiance and I bought a house in Bedford, NH for $240,000 with taxes at $5,280/year. So it is doable for your situation!

A little about HUdson. Yes, property taxes are not too high, about average for most of SNH. We looked to buy in Hudson for those very reasons, slightly cheaper real estate and taxes, but the deals fell through. We are lucky they did, because with the housing market the way it is, we found a great deal.

I am not too familiar with the Hudson school system but there is a large high school, Alvirne High School, and several middle schools. To my knowledge the schools run gr1-5 for elementry, 6-8 for middle school. Here is a link to Hudson schools: Hudson School District of New Hampshire

There is trash and recycle pickup, once per week .

Shopping is convienent in most spots in town, however like most of NH there are rural parts of town less so. There are portions of Hudson that are quite rural, and shopping centers and other amenties are up to 10 to 15 minutes away.

I personally would recommend Merrimack, Bedford, Amherst NH over Hudson NH if possible. All 3 are, in my opinion more desirable, small to medium size towns and closer to your husbands potential job.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
Please, Please, Please Anyplace with a shopping center only 15 min away is not rural. It may have fields and woods but that is it. Hudson has both but it ain't rural. What it is is 15 min away from South Nashua shoppiers heaven. Hudson is a nice town by the way.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,297,411 times
Default Hudson

I have 3 kids attending elementary, middle and high school. All 3 of my kids, love the Hudson school system. Yes, I said my kids. We relocated from the Deep South so my children craved a good system. They honestly like it.

Hudson is woodsy but I like it. I don't need all the shops nearby my residence so a very short 10 minute drive works for me. Hudson is really close to all the shopping areas. We change it up alot, by shopping in both Manchester (30 min) and Nashua.

The property tax does kick my butt but the city stays clean, has a good Police force/Fire Dept, etc so your check does go to very productive services.

I seriously have no complaints so I highly recommend Hudson.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM

557 posts, read 1,349,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please, Please, Please Anyplace with a shopping center only 15 min away is not rural. It may have fields and woods but that is it. Hudson has both but it ain't rural. What it is is 15 min away from South Nashua shoppiers heaven. Hudson is a nice town by the way.
In your opinion. In my opinion, when you can buy 7 acres of land and not have any neighbors, that is pretty rural. Especially for southern NH (which is really more like northern Mass, for better or worse, in reality)

Where I was living in Hudson was roughly 25-35 minutes away from South Nashua shopping, depending on traffic. Robinson/Boyd road area. The closest supermarket was 10-15 minutes, Hannafords Hudson or Londonderry by 93.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM

125 posts, read 250,347 times
Hudson is quality. Can't go wrong with quality mid-sized southern NH towns like Hudson, Londonderry, or Bedford IMO. Best of both worlds in terms of size and closeness to cities like Manchester, Nashua, and even Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire