U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 PM

756 posts, read 1,704,391 times
Default Cheapest Place to Live in the US is.....

Manchester?

where-to-Live-cheaply.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Not too sure about this article...it lists Manch's population at over 400k people. I assume they mean the Nashua-Manchester metro area and not the city itself?

While it's probably a good deal for the region they are far and away MUCH cheaper places to live in this country with a similar quality of life as Manch.

It also lists Ann Arbor....which is where I used to work before moving to NH. It's a great town but it is MUCH more expensive than any of the surrounding cities or areas. I guess they are really factoring in other categories than simply overall cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,605,806 times
I found that reference amusing as well.
I would not say it is cheap there and wonder if anyone with a brain ever really presents these 'best places' accurately.

One quiz I used to do (to find your best place to live) came up consistently with the area I WAS living in...I would put in 'cheaper housing' and 'cost of living' yet places like SF and New York would pop up...?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM

680 posts, read 1,481,464 times
It is referring to the Manchester/Nashua area, not just the city itself. I think they were factoring in a lot of things like average salaries, job opportunities, etc in addition to overall housing costs.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 PM

49 posts, read 118,970 times
They are referring to the Manchester - Nashua metro area (I'm assuming Central/ Eastern Hillsboro and Western Rockingham) counties. It sounds like they are referring to the combination of salaries, job opportunities, crime and overall quality of life. Most likely they are referencing that the area is the cheapest in the S.NH / Boston area - meaning if you wanted to live cheaply in the area, then you woiuld probaly look at Manchester/ Nashua area. The #1 rating comes from Manchester / Nashua area being more of a desirable place to live in than say Detroit or Alabama, which are more affordable but not such great places to live.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM

545 posts, read 811,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I found that reference amusing as well.
I would not say it is cheap there and wonder if anyone with a brain ever really presents these 'best places' accurately.

One quiz I used to do (to find your best place to live) came up consistently with the area I WAS living in...I would put in 'cheaper housing' and 'cost of living' yet places like SF and New York would pop up...?

It is bull****. Manchester is by no means the cheapest place to live in america. I know that and knew it. NH isnt as cheap as ppl make it out to be either. Homes in Manchester still go for 250 grand + the property tax. Cheap? Ya sure.
Lowell is cheaper imo.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 AM

34 posts, read 64,445 times
Manchester is cheap if you are on welfare or some sort of fed money , disability . Manchester is one of those mill towns filled with triple deckers-in the old days workers from the mills lived in the firetraps. Now, because business and government has destroyed our industrial base, the only people who are able to live in those places are imports from other low wage countries. Welfare cases, the government paying rent while out of state mega landlords collect millions. The banks can't let those triple deckers rot so they got together with the welfare state or fed czars and across the united states old mill towns like Lowell , Manchester, Nashua , all fill up with "refugees" or mental cases, or unwed mothers, . The only people who deserve free ride are the disabled, and most of them don't want to live in a dump like New Hampshire, Mass. is right on the border, better off where you can get some medical or dental. so my advice is keep out of a dump like Manchester, if you buy a home there, the entire state has the highestr property taxes in the world, YOU WILL NEVER GET AHEAD IN NH UNLESS YOU OWN A STORE AND SELL BEER AND CIGARETTES TO THE DIRT DOGS. GOOD LUCK. THERE IS NO INCOME OR SALES TAX SO IF YOU WORK FOR A LIVING, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO PAYS THE TAXES, NOT THE RICH .

Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM

33,394 posts, read 28,007,444 times
CB is wrong again. I have a good friend that has a well paid professional job and lives on the third floor of a triple decker in West Manchester. My friend owns the building and the tenants on the first and second floors pay the mortgage. They are in a working class neighborhood. Not a bad place to live.

Cheapest places to live in NH are north of Franconia Notch in the old paper mill towns now that the mills have shut down. The entire area is becoming and extension of Appalachia. Not a good thing even if the scenery is magnificent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire