U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2007, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,910 times
Default Lemon Law??

I just bought a used car the other day, the guy that sold it to me told me that there was nothing wrong with it. Well nothing compared to what is goin on with it. I think it has transmission problems. My friend was driving it and all of a sudden it was slowing down and if she wasnt driving it I wouldnt know what to do. She put it in thrid and after that it seemed ok, but I dont know what to do. I mean he sold me the car, on the bill of sale it says "as is" but can I do anyhting about that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 AM

2,660 posts, read 2,151,773 times
As is means as is.........

Carrie

Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 AM

259 posts, read 615,259 times
Have you checked transmision fluid level? You need to read the dipstick first to find out if it needs to be in park or drive to check it! Also, simply a clogge filter can cause funny shifting. There is a "band adjustment too. A mechanic can tell you much more by "dropping the pan" to see whats in tere+ see if flid is "burnt". Many problems can be detected or intercepted by that. Maybe $75 for a local mechanic to look at it + evaluate. Don't go t a transmission shop. Tyheir universal answer is you need a new one!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:38 AM

556 posts, read 4,979 times
Also remember when checking transmission fluid level (unlike engine oil) the engine needs to be warmed up to regular operating temperature.

The fluid would only be LOW if the transmission is leaking. Now if the fluid is worn out, it would start to cause the transmission to 'slip' and the engine would rev a bit before it started to move forward. This is something which should be taken care of immediately.

Take it to a qualified dealer, and have them evacuate (not drain, but suck it all out of the torque converter area as well) all transmission fluid and put in new. Also have them change the filter. If you are still experiencing problems, then it's time for a real mechanic to check the adjustment as the other poster said above. If it is STILL a problem, then you might have worn out disks in the transmission, and I would suggest a transmission shop that has a good reputation to "repair and replace as necessary". That means they would only repair or replace any worn parts inside the transmission, seals etc. Cost is usually around $1000..... at least around here. Not sure over there

Good luck..... Just wondering why you did not experience this on the test drive before you bought the car??

Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 AM

59 posts, read 191,563 times
hazeleyes02128:
You're out of luck (and $) when it comes to lemon laws in NH. If it was sold to you as is, there is nothing you can do. If the place you bought it from put an inspection sticker on it for you (unlikely if it was sold as is), bring it somewhere else and ask to have it inspected. If it fails, you can bring it back and have them fix whatever's wrong. I don't think a transmission problem would cause a car to fail inspection though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire