Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

There has in the past few years been numerous great white sightings off the coast of Cape Cod. Due to the increasing gray seal population in that area great whites have been repeatedly spotted feeding on them off Hyannis in Cape Cod. Just because its unlikely the great whites will go farther north to NH or Maine its perfectly possible and you should always be careful. Great whites are one of the few shark species that thrive in colder water. Point being though its unlikely, you should always be aware and careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
number of people killed worldwide annualy 15
number of people killed worldwide annualy from a coconut falling out of a coconut tree 300

If your not worried about coconuts, dont be worried about sharks.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Another important point is that there is a reason that most shark attacks are on surfers. Surfers go out in the early morning to surf (same time sharks feed most actively close to shore) AND they go out further than swimmers...into areas there are more sharks to begin with.

In short...while I'm aware of sharks because of movies like Jaws...and if there is a great white swimming around off a particular Cape Cod Beach...I'll go to another beach...I'm not worried about them.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,012 times
Me and my family are going for a week this year. Last year when I went a person got bit by a Great White Shark over in Cape Cod. It was scary but I got over it and got back in the water. If you are going to Hampton beach I recommend Shirley by the Sea. Its a great place to be I have been to Cozumel,Mexico and its awesome but Shirley by the sea is awesome its right by the sea their so nice there. I hope all you people out there care about sharks and even if they mistake you with food it does not mean you have to go out and kill them people over the years have gotten so mad at sharks because they killed some one that you love. It is not their fault they think your a fish some day I want to be a marine biologist but when I get there I do not want there to be none left I love sharks and I think they are really fascinating. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN THEY ARE BEING SHOT FOR NOTHING.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM

16 posts, read 21,764 times
Sharks can tell the difference between humans and seals by taste. Unfortunately for us, their mouths are so big that a test bite on a human can be deadly. I've seen stories and documentaries about great whites swimming in the waves because of the extra oxygen, so they can rest. But I wouldn't be too concerned about sharks at Hampton, it's quite cold and there's not enough of a seal population.
Jaws was inspired by a rogue bull shark that swam in the Jersey river, attacking 6 people. Rogue sharks are such a rare occurance, I wouldn't bother worrying about them.
Fizzette- Have you heard of the greenland shark? It swims so deep in frigid waters, it's rare to see one. I think I also heard it's one of the more "gentle" sharks, like a whale shark... just not nearly as big!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire