Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 9,153 times

Advertisements

if your looking for a 2-3 investment property look in Manchester, Nashua, and Derry. You won't find many if any for sale in the smaller towns and it doesn't hurt to buy your first investmet property close to where you live (for reasons you'll learn). Shop based on what the rents are not the sales price. The higher priced rental's are normally in better area's and draw good tenants. Hook up with a local realtor who can set you up with auto e-mails with the most recent properties for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
I'm just tired of you people slandering people who are liberals all the time because we believe in SOME Government. Not Total government, but SOME Government. You people tend to believe that all liberals believe in Total Government which isn't true. I just believe in SOME government and being open toward people no matter if you're gay, straight, transgender, black, white, whatever. We're all americans lets get over our differences and start acting like one country again.

I am just tired of a comment like this
that you wrote about liberals in Mass. and people from across the border cities
Oh so that person has a right to slander me because I am a "liberal" and I can't defend it? Its not fair that you let someone say all liberal people are terrible people and such on a forum - and that all liberalism is bad and people from mass are commie liberals and yet I can't defend my views

here's the original quote from the guys post. -
I think I have a right to respond to what they wrote.

The demise of the right in New England is a shame. New England Republicans were fiscally prudent, yet socially libertarian which is something made complete sense to me. Unfortunately the polarization of the country has crept up in the region as well.

and the thing you wrote about people across the border cities being sleezy and such.

Not everyone from Mass. are jerks and rude people like you guys like to paint it. I have lived in Mass for my whole 32 years and have plenty of good friends here. I enjoy mass. and I just dont believe in NO government. I thin we need government in certain circumstances and that we inhertied many of the problems we are dealing with now from george Bush. ANd Obama is doing everything he can to try to get us out of this mess. If you havent noticed the dow in just 6 -7 months went from 5000s on the verge of collapse. in the markets, to almost 9500 now. I'd say thats a vast improvement. The economy is beginning to turn around and we're doing more now to get off big oil and away from froeign interests in oil..and move toward a cleaner home-grown energy future.

All I'm saying is I'm annoyed that I get yelled at for responding to someone attacking liberals in Mass. - not all liberals are the same. Some want total government control but most dont. They just want an open society where people can get along regardless of who they are, and want some government control where necessary. Libertarians want hardly any government which I don't think is a fair way to run a country, and benefits the wealthiest people to continue to get richer and the gap between rich and poor to continue to expand.

Oh so that person has a right to slander me because I am a "liberal" and I can't defend it? Its not fair that you let someone say all liberal people are terrible people and such on a forum - and that all liberalism is bad and people from mass are commie liberals and yet I can't defend my views

Oh and btw, I did offer some good advice about the Manchester area. It just annoys me on here, that people feel its fine for someone on the forum to just slander someone because yeah they're conservative or libertarian and I'm not, so its ok to slander me because I'm a liberal, but then I try to defend myself and get attacked. It just isn't fair.

But anyway I think we're past that now. and I hope my info on Manchester was helpful

Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 AM

I do business in New Hampshire, I work at the Verizon Arena in Manchester as a camera operator for the Monarchs. I spend time int he White mountains and Hampton Beach in the summer and occasionally Water country or Canobie Lake.
I know quite a bit about new hampshire. I Just dont think I deserve to be slandered just because I am a moderate liberal political viewpoint.
I accept other people's views, fine, but if you attack me and my type of people on a forum, we should have a chance and a right to defend ourselves and our viewpoints.

that said I do enjoy New Hampshire. I just dont always agree with your views politically. But that doesn't mean we still can't all get along and be friends, now can't it?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 AM

Maybe the most Leftist Liberal / Progressives.
I am not one of those people I am a MODERATE LIBERAL

Moderate liberalism is different from the far left.

just as moderate conservatism is different from the far right.

we're in the middle for a reason we believe in some Government control, just not a TON of it.

thats what I believe in

and I'm sorry if you guys dont like it.

I'm trying my best not to make enemies here and try to get along

I just hope you can live with a moderate liberal on the forum

Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
I'm just tired of you people slandering people who are liberals all the time because we believe in SOME Government. Not Total government, but SOME Government. You people tend to believe that all liberals believe in Total Government which isn't true. I just believe in SOME government and being open toward people no matter if you're gay, straight, transgender, black, white, whatever. We're all americans lets get over our differences and start acting like one country again.

The demise of the right in New England is a shame. New England Republicans were fiscally prudent, yet socially libertarian which is something made complete sense to me. Unfortunately the polarization of the country has crept up in the region as well.

and the thing you wrote about people across the border cities being sleezy and such.

Not everyone from Mass. are jerks and rude people like you guys like to paint it. I have lived in Mass for my whole 32 years and have plenty of good friends here. I enjoy mass. and I just dont believe in NO government. I thin we need government in certain circumstances and that we inhertied many of the problems we are dealing with now from george Bush. ANd Obama is doing everything he can to try to get us out of this mess. If you havent noticed the dow in just 6 -7 months went from 5000s on the verge of collapse. in the markets, to almost 9500 now. I'd say thats a vast improvement. The economy is beginning to turn around and we're doing more now to get off big oil and away from froeign interests in oil..and move toward a cleaner home-grown energy future.

All I'm saying is I'm annoyed that I get yelled at for responding to someone attacking liberals in Mass. - not all liberals are the same. Some want total government control but most dont. They just want an open society where people can get along regardless of who they are, and want some government control where necessary. Libertarians want hardly any government which I don't think is a fair way to run a country, and benefits the wealthiest people to continue to get richer and the gap between rich and poor to continue to expand.

Oh and btw, I did offer some good advice about the Manchester area. It just annoys me on here, that people feel its fine for someone on the forum to just slander someone because yeah they're conservative or libertarian and I'm not, so its ok to slander me because I'm a liberal, but then I try to defend myself and get attacked. It just isn't fair.

But anyway I think we're past that now. and I hope my info on Manchester was helpful
If one has the sack to take a stand then one should have the sack to take the slack for it

White , male, biker, believer in Christ here. Sorry don't buy the religion of evolution, don't think we need laws allowing perversion to be made acceptable..,absolutely knows that more government will lead to the eventual destruction of this country as we know it. You want to talk about taking heat, getting attacked? Buddy I know all about it.
So heres an idea, if your going to have convictions, either keep them to yourself or stop whining when someone rakes you over the coals for them. Freedom of speech , also implies consequences, too many want to spout without any ramifications..sorry that ain't the real world.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Dreamworks, chill! seriously, you're overreacting a bit. You need to learn definitions: what do peole mean when they use particular labels (like 'liberal' or 'republican' or 'conservative'). As you point out, there is certainly a middle, moderate ground in both sides yet many people often forget that and only think of the extremes - which is one reason I refuse to sign up for any party (and wish they would just go away. I know they won't, but I can dream ). There are wackos and extremists in all parties -esp the official Libertarian party (higher percentage because they'res fewer in the party). So be an 'independent'!

The part you quoted first was talking about being fiscally conservative - if you have a beef with that, then you will have a beef with the majority of the NH people - we don't like spending money gratuitously.. which, unfortunately, is what is seen in most of the other NE states (which also tend to be heavily democratic/liberal. see any connection? NH feels there is one), yet posters will also often add that while fiscally conservative -and yes, Greg, sometimes a bit too much, though not always- NH folk also tend to be socially liberal or progressive. You will always find very religious people in any area who feel that anything not biblical is wrong. not everyone though. Basically it's the libertarian concept of 'live free or die' that NH loves so much.

There has been a long standing rivalry between NH and MA, get over it. I'm quite sure MA has some lovely nicknames for NH. Sure, there are always plenty of people on both sides that are lovely, that's the problem with broad-sweeping labels, there are always those who don't fit. So don't use the derogatory labels, not everyone does.

If you're going to complain about the border cities/town being portrayed as 'sleazy', please look at the preponderance of comments about NH cities (esp Manchester and Nashua, sometimes Derry and Salem): they are also often run down - usually by people who don't live there or moved out... because NH folk in general don't like cities. don't like them in NH, don't like them in MA, just don't like them and feel they are all dumps. You have to look at what's behind some of it.

But if, when it all comes down to it, you really feel opposite the values of NH but you love visiting.. then just remember the signs along the border of Oregon "Thank you for visiting our state, now go home" we will happily share the beauty and resources of our state, but if you don't like the way things are run, isn't it lovely that you can live somewhere you prefer.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpjohnson View Post
if your looking for a 2-3 investment property look in Manchester, Nashua, and Derry. You won't find many if any for sale in the smaller towns and it doesn't hurt to buy your first investmet property close to where you live (for reasons you'll learn). Shop based on what the rents are not the sales price. The higher priced rental's are normally in better area's and draw good tenants. Hook up with a local realtor who can set you up with auto e-mails with the most recent properties for sale.
Thanks, great advice. I did consider buying closer to home but I don't see similar values in the region. Don't get me wrong, the deals are out there but many require time intensive investments (sweat equity).

I do like your point about the higher priced rentals. I know that the asking price might be higher for those rentals but should be well maintained with a stable tenant base. You know what you're talking about, please feel free to add other thoughts.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

Again, this is not a political thread. If you feel so strongly about how great MA is then kudos. Your writing is jumbled as your thoughts. I stand by my comment of low lives from border cities and did not connect them to the liberal comment.

I admire NH as state that is unique with respect to the region. I also live in Mass. but I'm not a hypocrite who would believe that everything is well in the state yet crosses the border to shop and avoid the sales tax. I'm not saying that you are that person either, so don't throw another hissy fit

One of the reasons why I would prefer to invest in NH is because I feel politically aligned with many people in the state. Other reasons include the strong economic growth and quaint little towns. Once I have achieved my career goals (I manage large institutional investments), I will move to NH and help the economic growth in the state. You know why it's worth it? Because the state let's me keep more of my money in my wallet.

This will be my final response to the politics aspect of this thread. Please feel to add your thoughts about Manchester's real estate investment trends.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
Honestly Dreamworks, you are the only one who seems to be slandering others. The OP simply said he was sad about the demise of the right in the northeast.... What is hateful about that? No one was attacking you or people like you! You wonder why we "can't just all get along"? Probably because people like you are overly dramatic and make a mountain out of a molehill...

NE: "I like Libertarian thought."
DW: "HOW DARE YOU! YOU ARE SO INTOLERANT! STOP ATTACKING ME!!!"

Old 08-16-2009, 03:43 PM

Since there might be other folks who are interested in investing in Manchester, NH, I want to share some good websites:

General Information:
Manchester, NH

2nd Most Tax Friendly City in the US (Kiplingers):
Top-10-Tax-Friendly-Cities: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Cheapest Places to Live:
Where To Live Cheaply - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire