Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask everyone’s opinions on Manchester, NH. This is not really a “should I move to NH” type of post so I am looking for general trends and the future development (offices, malls, and new apartment buildings). Even though I am within driving distance of Manchester, I am looking for a real local insight for investment purposes. I am looking into buying a multi-family property (2-3 Units) so knowing where the city is trending is very important.

I LOVE New Hampshire, it is one of the greatest states in the union. I admire the libertarian politics, the fact economic growth has been strong, and the state genuinely feels like home. Unfortunately my job, and business interests lie in MA and I am not able to make the move to your great state.

So your thoughts on Manchester? I’m pretty familiar with the city, most of the properties are located in the West End, which is really hit or miss. The North end seems to be pretty well kept but not as many deals there. Before someone calls me a slumlord (ha ha), my goal is to buy a place, fix it up and hold onto it for a while. Who knows, maybe the stars might align and I will be able to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
I am trying to move to New Hampshire because of the libertarian politics. It's hard to believe Maine is the 2nd most right-leaning state in New England. Just yesterday I went and visited Manchester to get a feel for the area, it seems like a nice city to me. Some of the local convieniance store owners seemed kind of unhelpful/unfriendly though. You probably get that most places.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I am trying to move to New Hampshire because of the libertarian politics. It's hard to believe Maine is the 2nd most right-leaning state in New England. Just yesterday I went and visited Manchester to get a feel for the area, it seems like a nice city to me. Some of the local convieniance store owners seemed kind of unhelpful/unfriendly though. You probably get that most places.
The demise of the right in New England is a shame. New England Republicans were fiscally prudent, yet socially libertarian which is something made complete sense to me. Unfortunately the polarization of the country has crept up in the region as well.

Manchester is indeed a nice city, but you might find plenty of folks who consider it to be the worst place to live in NH. I mean it is the most urbanized part of the state and has had it’s share of problems. It used to be an old mill town which has been trying to reinvent itself with partial success. There are some parts of the city that attracts low lives from places like Lawrence, Haverhill MA but some of the outer neighborhoods, particularly close to Bedford are quite suburban.

I don’t know about your experience in convenience stores but overall the city seems perfectly fine to me as well. But since I don’t live there, my perspective is more as a visitor so I’m hoping locals can chime in.

My basic goal would be to have a few tenants who pay rent on time, keep the place reasonably clean, and there is not property crime/vandalism in the area. Since I will not be living there things like commute times, lifestyle, and shopping would not be big priorities for me.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
What can I say? They are doing a road race today, we walked from our apartment up Elm street had a nice dinner at J Hills while watching them set up, despite about 8 or so thousand people who will be running around later on we managed to escape traffic by using foot power. Later on we will watch the runners from the comfort of our tenth floor balcony. Saturday we will get up have breakfast and then watch some nuts rappel down the Brady Sullivan plazza building and take in the Latino festival..not bad for being in the city

Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Default Manchester NH

ANyway as far as Manchester goes. Its a good city with a decent mix of residential, and commercial. - the area will be even better once they get commuter rail up to Nashua - and eventually Manchester-concord.
but for now its a decent city with some good businesses, bars, restaurants downtown and the Verizon Arena. - its a small city, with suburbs outside..- with very liveavle communities. -

I would say check out Hooksett, Bedford, Milford, Amherst, Candia, Raymond, Hooksett, Suncook, Bow, Epping, Goffstown, Litchfield, Londonderry , Hampstead, Atkinson, and Derry.

----------------------------------------

I am hoping regardless of if you're liberal, moderate progressive (like i am), Conservative, or libertarian we can all get along on these forums and in life.

-----------------------------------------

i see though you're calling liberals low-lives? (i.e. people who live South of the NH border from Mass) and (lower income folks in Lawrence, Haverhill) You know its not their fault they dont have money. - )

Whats wrong with being progressive? Bush did nothing for 8 years. except increase the deficit by going into a war we shouldn't have gone into in the first place.

Anyway - I am proud to be a progressive moderate liberal democrat. - and dont' care what you libertarian-conservative NH people think.
I think we should all learn to get along with each other instead of slandering everyone every chance you get.

You know not all liberals are bad horrible people. We just have a different view of how things should be run. I believe there should be SOME government involvement. I'm not a hard left leaning liberal like Obama, but I still think Obama is doing a decent job compared to Bush-
The economy is improving, and we are working toward environmental improvements and other important social programs people need.
Yes, I dont think the government should be in charge of everything but I also dont think we should say Hands off, and forget about government. Government is important for some reasons and I hate to say it, But yes, Taxes are necessary to keep important programs alive.

I am just tired of people labeling Liberals as evil. We are good people who just believe that government is important in running society.
Not complete government control, but just SOME government control.
to keep things balanced.

Thats my take on progressive views anyway.
Some people just dont want ANY government involved. But you can't run a country without SOME government involvement in certain areas/issues.
I'm sorry to say but libertarianism and extreme right wing conservativism is not something I believe is the right way to go

We;'ve seen what happens when you go that route for the past 8 years of george bush when the economy went down the tubes.-

--------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
But I really wish people would stop labeling people as low-lives. Not everyone who lives in Haverhill, Lawrence, etc. Lowell, are low-lives. Its kind of rude to call people that. just because they have less money than you..- not everyone has millions or thousands of dollars to spend, but that doesn't make them scum or low-lives as you like to label them.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Thank you for sharing your progressive moderate liberal views, Dreamworks. However, I believe the OP was asking for information on the City of Manchester, not for our political standings as individuals. Isn't it great that we can chose to live in a town, city and state where the primary leaning agrees with our own ideals? And while you so blatently point out that you don't care what New Hampshire libertarian-conservatives think, you might remember that you are a visitor to this NH forum. There is a reason why so many NH people resent people from MA moving up here for "a better life". Your attitude sums it up...

OP and MOD, sorry for the rant, but I couldn't help myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

Whats wrong with being progressive?
<SNIP>
Anyway - I am proud to be a progressive moderate liberal democrat. - and dont' care what you libertarian-conservative NH people think.

<SNIP>
You know not all liberals are bad horrible people. We just have a different view of how things should be run.
<SNIP>
I am just tired of people labeling Liberals as evil. We are good people who just believe that government is important in running society.
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
We;'ve seen what happens when you go that route for the past 8 years of george bush when the economy went down the tubes.-

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

DreamworksSKG,

Quote:
i see though you're calling liberals low-lives? (i.e. people who live South of the NH border from Mass) and (lower income folks in Lawrence, Haverhill) You know its not their fault they dont have money. - )
How about WE read within context? I praised New England Republicanism in one paragraph and then shifted over to talking about Manchester and some of the low lives that it has attracted. Defensive much?

Quote:
Whats wrong with being progressive? Bush did nothing for 8 years. except increase the deficit by going into a war we shouldn't have gone into in the first place.

I think we should all learn to get along with each other instead of slandering everyone every chance you get.

You know not all liberals are bad horrible people. We just have a different view of how things should be run. I believe there should be SOME government involvement. I'm not a hard left leaning liberal like Obama, but I still think Obama is doing a decent job compared to Bush-
The economy is improving, and we are working toward environmental improvements and other important social programs people need.
Yes, I dont think the government should be in charge of everything but I also dont think we should say Hands off, and forget about government. Government is important for some reasons and I hate to say it, But yes, Taxes are necessary to keep important programs alive.

Not complete government control, but just SOME government control.
to keep things balanced.

Some people just dont want ANY government involved. But you can't run a country without SOME government involvement in certain areas/issues.
I'm sorry to say but libertarianism and extreme right wing conservativism is not something I believe is the right way to go

This isn’t a political thread. Please feel free to start a thread on NH ‘progressives’ if you wish. Yes, I did praise NH for it’s unique political culture which is ONE aspect of what I admire about the state. You chose to ignore the strong economic growth and the fact that it feels like home comments.

I’m not here to insult anyone, but your paragraph clearly shows a lack of grasp of the dying breed of New England Republicanism. I’m a New Englander who has never lived in the South so I can’t comment on their ideology. But I will say this: Some of the most intolerant people I have met have been self described ‘liberals/progressives.’

Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
But I really wish people would stop labeling people as low-lives. Not everyone who lives in Haverhill, Lawrence, etc. Lowell, are low-lives. Its kind of rude to call people that. just because they have less money than you..- not everyone has millions or thousands of dollars to spend, but that doesn't make them scum or low-lives as you like to label them.
I stand by it. Please don’t even try to compare the dignity of the working poor with the influx of low lives into Manchester. I’m originally from Massachusetts myself so I am well aware of the specific type. The working poor of Haverhill, Lawrence, and Lowell etc are more wedded into their jobs, communities.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Thank you for sharing your progressive moderate liberal views, Dreamworks. However, I believe the OP was asking for information on the City of Manchester, not for our political standings as individuals. Isn't it great that we can chose to live in a town, city and state where the primary leaning agrees with our own ideals? And while you so blatently point out that you don't care what New Hampshire libertarian-conservatives think, you might remember that you are a visitor to this NH forum. There is a reason why so many NH people resent people from MA moving up here for "a better life". Your attitude sums it up...

OP and MOD, sorry for the rant, but I couldn't help myself...
Thanks Valerie. I mean why is it ok for people to say that they “want to live in a progressive/liberal/diverse/non-redneck” area and when someone who is Libertarian-Conservative talks about ONE of the factors for investing in a particular town/city, people start ranting?

Shifting away from this nonsense, I wanted to ask your thoughts (since you’re a realtor as well), on Manchester? What are the trends for the City? Even though Nashua is much closer to the border, I’m concerned about 1. Limited Multi-family housing stock. 2. Limited rent potential.

I might be wrong about Nashua, so please do let me know your thoughts. If I’m going against forum rules, I would be happy to discuss over PM as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire